View Full Version : wallpaper

christina20
12-24-2004, 07:33 AM
can u make a photo u have on ur ipaq ur wallpaper??

Darius Wey
12-24-2004, 07:42 AM
can u make a photo u have on ur ipaq ur wallpaper??

Yes. Start > Settings > Today > "Use this picture as the background".

christina20
12-24-2004, 07:46 AM
k i got it but why is all bright and off center

Darius Wey
12-24-2004, 07:53 AM
k i got it but why is all bright and off center

Today screen wallpaper is designed to be 240x320 or 480x640 in resolution, depending on your device (well, okay, if we wanted to get really technical, we could say 240x268, etc.). So the reason why it may seem "off-centre" is because it's only part of the photo that it is displaying. I'm willing to bet your photo's resolution does not confirm to the size required to fit the today screen perfectly. As for the brightness, that's a feature implemented into the OS to help compensate for illegible text when using some pictures. If you wanted to bypass that, you would have to make your own today theme.

christina20
12-24-2004, 08:03 AM
ok well i tried to make my own theme but there isnt a version for 2003 that i can find do you know of one?

Darius Wey
12-24-2004, 08:10 AM
ok well i tried to make my own theme but there isnt a version for 2003 that i can find do you know of one?

The Microsoft Theme Generator for Pocket PC 2002 is actually compatible with Windows Mobile 2003 devices. On the other hand, if you're wanting to make VGA themes or landscape themes for WM2003SE devices, that's another story. For that, I use ThemeBuilder2003 (http://www.ida.net/users/oe1k/programs/ThemeBuilder/) but there are other solutions available.

Menneisyys
12-24-2004, 08:48 AM
In my forthcoming article (beta version at http://menneisyys.freeweb.hu/PICVIEWERS ) I also discuss wallpaper setting. For more info, check it out.

In a nutshell: you should forget MS theme Generator or anything mentioned so far (particularly the Setting/Today applet, because it's prolly the wors solution). Use WM2003's built-in Pictures app to set the wallpaper. It's by far the best solution.

Darius Wey
12-24-2004, 09:02 AM
Use WM2003's built-in Pictures app to set the wallpaper. It's by far the best solution.

FYI, not all PPC's have that. ;)

Menneisyys
12-24-2004, 09:17 AM
Use WM2003's built-in Pictures app to set the wallpaper. It's by far the best solution.

FYI, not all PPC's have that. ;)

Yeah, but she has a WM2003 device, and Pictures is part of WM2003. Hopefully her machine is not a iPAQ 1930 (16M ROM). AFAIK that's the only WM2003+ device not to have Pictures (and, prolly, the 1715).

Darius Wey
12-24-2004, 09:28 AM
Yeah, but she has a WM2003 device, and Pictures is part of WM2003. Hopefully her machine is not a iPAQ 1930 (16M ROM). AFAIK that's the only WM2003+ device not to have Pictures (and, prolly, the 1715).

I think you're a little misguided. The h1930 (and the h1940 for that matter) run WM2003. Neither of those feature the Pictures application. Why?

WM2003 OS (before the release of WM2003SE) came in two main variants: Professional and Premium. Higher end units shipped with the Premium version of WM2003, while the lower end units shipped with the Professional version. Among the noticeable differences was the lack of TSC, Microsoft Reader and the Pictures application included in ROM. The user either had to install these separately, or do without them. In the case of Pictures, you had to do without them and opt for a third-party solution.

Menneisyys
12-24-2004, 11:15 AM

I think you're a little misguided. The h1930 (and the h1940 for that matter) run WM2003. Neither of those feature the Pictures application. Why?

WM2003 OS (before the release of WM2003SE) came in two main variants: Professional and Premium. Higher end units shipped with the Premium version of WM2003, while the lower end units shipped with the Professional version. Among the noticeable differences was the lack of TSC, Microsoft Reader and the Pictures application included in ROM. The user either had to install these separately, or do without them. In the case of Pictures, you had to do without them and opt for a third-party solution.

Sure I know the 19xx doesn't have Pictures. All the other WM2003(SE) iPAQ's do - and most non-iPAQ , non-low-end machines (= WM2003 Premium) too.

The point is that third-party solutions cost either big bucks (like the ThemeMaker Pro Plus SE) or are clearly inferior to Pictures (as is the case, for example, with MS Theme Generator v2.0 or the Today applet), or are very hard to use, compared to Pictures (e.g. ThemeBuilder2003).

Setting a non-tiled, VGA/QVGA, landscape/portrait wallpaper in Pictures is just one click, and you don't have to fuss around with correct picture size, menu background images and stuff. The only thing yu MAY have to do after setting the wallpaper image is setting the Today / Start Menu font color with either a reghack tool like tweaks2k2 or manually in a way I've described in my article.

Darius Wey
12-24-2004, 12:03 PM
The only thing yu MAY have to do after setting the wallpaper image is setting the Today / Start Menu font color with either a reghack tool like tweaks2k2 or manually in a way I've described in my article.
:treadmill:

Alas. And there are the complexities that *may* exist for the new user. I think Theme Generator's a great starting point if you want to avoid delving into the registry and what not. But each to their own - there are other options out there. ;)

Menneisyys
12-24-2004, 12:26 PM
And there are the complexities that *may* exist for the new user. I think Theme Generator's a great starting point if you want to avoid delving into the registry and what not. But each to their own - there are other options out there. ;)

Sure there are :)

BTW, the problem with MS Theme Generator v2.0 is that you may also need to do some reg hacking (or, at least, tweaks2k2 running) because Theme Generator doesn't let you change Start Menu colors. So, if you set a whitish picture as the background, you'll have probs with the initially white menu letter colors. And, it has tons of other problems as well, compared to Pictures.

Darius Wey
12-24-2004, 02:04 PM
BTW, the problem with MS Theme Generator v2.0 is that you may also need to do some reg hacking (or, at least, tweaks2k2 running) because Theme Generator doesn't let you change Start Menu colors. So, if you set a whitish picture as the background, you'll have probs with the initially white menu letter colors. And, it has tons of other problems as well, compared to Pictures.

Agreed. :) Although, it is worth remembering that this only affects some WM2003 devices. Not all of them suffer from the problem. As an example, some h19xx devices which have not been updated to the latest ROM are immune from the white text-start menu problem.