View Full Version : The Lexar $30 (non) rebate for the 1G SD card at Outpost.com

ludzh
12-24-2004, 06:39 AM
I just have to rant for a minute. I ordered the 1G SD card from Outpost.com when they were offering the $30 rebate from Lexar.

After waiting an ungodly amount of time for the item to even be shipped, I mailed in my rebate and, well, I just came across a card I received in the mail from Lexar in the past couple of days that says my rebate is invalid because the postmark was after the time limit on the rebate form. You have got to be kidding. I know I mailed the rebate in within 30 days of purchase. I checked the dates and the form more than once. I have clear recollection of doing this. I would not have gone to the trouble of submitting the blasted thing if I didn't reasonably expect to receive the rebate.

Grrrr. :evil:

After a couple swigs of spiked cider, I've decided to simply write the Lexar Customer Care Department and explain that they made an error, and because I cannot have confidence that they will honor the offers they put forth, then I guess I can no longer be a customer. Like it will make a huge difference in their bottom line, right? I wonder if anyone will ever actually READ the letter, or does it get swallowed up by the black hole of correspondence?

Alright, I'm done.

-Heather

P.S. Happy holidays to all!

Ripper014
12-24-2004, 07:51 AM
I am really sorry to hear that... it seems more and more we hear stories such as this. It really makes you stop and think... if you want us to buy in the future it will have to be an instant rebate... because we are no longer going to accept a mail-in one.

Knock on wood... I have always gotten my rebates... though they like to hold on the money till the very last day... I swear once they receive them and enter them in the system a computer triggers the rebate check... on the last possible date. I know with one... I was sent an e-mail to inform me that my rebate was on the way... the same day my PocketPC told me that I should check on it...

Anyway... (getting sidetracked) I am noticing more instant rebates... a good thing for all of us...

Oh yes.. have a great Christmas...

V-iPAQ
12-24-2004, 08:34 AM
depends on the company,and I guess the way you worded this letter, but if you're lucky there is sometimes someone at the bottom of the black hole who will read your letter.
it might turn out to try to complain to Outpost.com as well

shawnc
12-24-2004, 02:19 PM
Rebates are the worst concept and I simply refuse to purchase a product that offers them. I absolutely agree with the earlier post, make it instant. I know why manufacturers do it (cash flow, cost of capital, hoping consumers won't mail them in, etc), but they have far outlived their usefulness.

Really sorry to hear about your situation. I hope lexar see's the error of their ways.

Sven Johannsen
12-24-2004, 03:22 PM
hoping consumers won't mail them in,.

There's no hope involved there. I don't recall the exact statistic but I read somewhere that something less than 20% of rebates actually get mailed in. I dislike rebates myself, and almost never make a purchasing decision based on there being one. If the out-the-door price is decent and it is a product I want/need, I buy it. If there is a rebate, it's a bonus, and I da*n sure send it in. I always keep a copy of the submission, though I rarely think to check on it. Now and again I just get a pleasant surprise in the mail.

P.S. What the heck is an instant rebate? Didn't those used to be called a Sale?

ChunkyMonkey
12-24-2004, 04:20 PM
Sorry to hear about your luck. I had ordered the 1 GB SD card on Outpost as well. After the item was on back order for 5 weeks, I cancelled my order. I got lucky and found even a better price on Amazon. I received that order within a week.

ChunkyMonkey
12-24-2004, 04:23 PM

There's no hope involved there. I don't recall the exact statistic but I read somewhere that something less than 20% of rebates actually get mailed in. I dislike rebates myself, and almost never make a purchasing decision based on there being one. If the out-the-door price is decent and it is a product I want/need, I buy it. If there is a rebate, it's a bonus, and I da*n sure send it in. I always keep a copy of the submission, though I rarely think to check on it. Now and again I just get a pleasant surprise in the mail.

P.S. What the heck is an instant rebate? Didn't those used to be called a Sale?

An instant rebate comes from the manufactorer. A sale comes from the store.

Dave Beauvais
12-24-2004, 04:46 PM
... my rebate is invalid because the postmark was after the time limit on the rebate form. ...
You're not the only one to have Lexar rebate problems. Three weeks ago or so I was reading a very long discussion thread somewhere about people's horrible experiences with Lexar. I've been searching for that thread for about the last 10-15 minutes so I could link to it here, but can't find it. If I find it again, I'll edit this post to link.

The worst part was that when the customer followed-up on the rejection notice with proof that the required info was, in fact, mailed, the company miraculously "found" the missing info and processed the rebate. I used to recommend Lexar products but after reading about so many people having the exact same problems with what I can only describe as a corrupt rebate processing center, I'm not likely to buy Lexar products again. While it's true Lexar itself doesn't run the rebate processing center, they continue to pay that company and do nothing to stop its fraudulent business practices.

Again, if I find the site again, I'll post a link here. It was pretty infuriating.

Small update: A Washington Post article (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A30815-2004Sep18.html?nav=rss_technology) about misadventures with Lexar rebates and rebates in general.

shawnc
12-24-2004, 05:01 PM

There's no hope involved there. I don't recall the exact statistic but I read somewhere that something less than 20% of rebates actually get mailed in.

Correction noted Sven. What I actually meant was that they COUNT ON consumers not mailing them in. Should have phrased it differently.

Sven Johannsen
12-24-2004, 06:36 PM
P.S. What the heck is an instant rebate? Didn't those used to be called a Sale?An instant rebate comes from the manufactorer. A sale comes from the store.

Uh-huh. I go to the store and get a $100 doo-hickey that has a $30 instant rebate. I hand the guy $70 plus tax and leave. You figure the store has to send something in to get their $30? I doubt it, but wouldn't put it past the industry creating something that costs money to implement, but has no value added....like rebates. If you can sell the thing for $70 and make money (and they are still making money), just sell it for $70. Don't act like you are doing me a great favor. It's as bad as, "a 79.99 value" for stuff that comes free with things that sell for $19.95.

skewline
12-24-2004, 09:00 PM
i usually avoid a product just because it has a mail-in rebate. I have a $20 check now that is 14 months old that came but I never saw it. It gets to be one more added chore on top of a busy day.
Thankx for the info, Heather, i'll avoid Lexar too.

frankenbike
12-24-2004, 11:43 PM
I just have to rant for a minute. I ordered the 1G SD card from Outpost.com when they were offering the $30 rebate from Lexar.

After a couple swigs of spiked cider, I've decided to simply write the Lexar Customer Care Department and explain that they made an error, and because I cannot have confidence that they will honor the offers they put forth, then I guess I can no longer be a customer. Like it will make a huge difference in their bottom line, right?

I won't buy a Lexar product with a rebate now after reading this. Let's see. So far in the last two days 113 people have read your post. So if those people have any brains, they won't trust Lexar's rebate promises in future purchase considerations. That number will probably grow.

As well, it'll probably spread to other forums.

That $30 they reneged on is really a smart, bottom line investment: not.

crwoo
12-25-2004, 10:21 PM
I also sent off some rebates from lexar and havent recieved them.....soo far

crwoo
12-25-2004, 10:24 PM
You cant say "dont trust rebates" I recieved rebates from many companies, including fujifilm, toshiba, oficemax, staples.

Sven Johannsen
12-26-2004, 02:18 AM
You cant say "dont trust rebates" I recieved rebates from many companies, including fujifilm, toshiba, oficemax, staples.

Don't believe anyone said that generically. Just started with a specific problem with Lexar, supported by some others, and a genearal dislike of the concept. I too have received a great many rebates, from assorted companies. I have also received notices that my submission was invalid because of some technicality or other. It appeared I didn't have a left handed person fill out the form as was clearly required in the fine print, or something. [Actually I didn't send in a photocopy of the sales receipt, I sent in the 'Rebate Receipt' that is automatically printed providing a second receipt for the purposes of rebate submission. My bad, though, I didn't provide a PHOTOCOPY...'

RD100
12-26-2004, 08:24 AM
I've mailed in lots of rebates, and so far, have received every check.

One thing I suggest, is if you have a scanner, then scan all original documents (receipts, UPC label, filled in rebate forms) into .JPG images on your computer before you mail your rebates. That way, you will have a perfect copy of all original info, which you can either print, or send to a rebate center as an e-mail attachment, if a rebate resubmission is necessary.

I also recommend sending the rebate center a computer printed version of your name/address attached to the receipts, in case your handwritten info is not legible.

I've saved lots of money by using rebates, but I admit, it does take quite a bit of effort to prepare everything for mailing.

Zack Mahdavi
12-26-2004, 09:48 AM
I've been having a lot of trouble getting a Seagate rebate for a drive I purchased at Fry's. The rebate processing company is Parago, and I've had sour relations with them in the past regarding a Norton rebate.

To sum up my Seagate problems, I have been waiting 3 months for the rebate. Two weeks ago, the rebate status changed from "Scheduled for final processing" to "Rebate denied. Invalid serial number." (The same thing happened with the Norton rebate) I faxed in all of my paper work, and i was assured that the rebate would be processed quickly.

So far, no results. I plan on complaining to Seagate, filing a complaint with the BBB, and also filing a complaint with the FTC if nothing happens within 5 business days.

I hate being conned, and I refuse give up without a fight.

Sven Johannsen
12-26-2004, 07:35 PM
I hate being conned, and I refuse give up without a fight.

Good for you. Shame you have to go through that though.

TheOrange
12-27-2004, 07:24 AM
Though I seldom make a purchase based on a rebate, I couldn't pass up the deal at Fry's for a 120GB WD...

I sent in everything just like the instructions said, made my photocopies and waited. After a reasonable amount of time passed, I called. They said the rebate was denied because I listed a PO Box as my address. While on the phone, I promptly looked over my rebate file and saw NO MENTION of PO Boxes. He made me fax a hadwritten, not typed and signed - handwritten, note stating that the PO Box is really my mailing address, why its my mailing address and I had to include my physical address.

I finally got my rebate check. Needless to say, I won't by WD again, nor will I be lured into another purchase based on a rebate. I knew better then, and I most certainly know better now.