View Full Version : Gmail SMTP problems

marcm
12-23-2004, 04:12 PM
Hi, I just got my Gmail account, and I'm having a little trouble using port 465 for the SMTP SSL. I followed all of the instructions provided by Gmail for Outlook, and I even got it to work on my Pocket PC, but I think my computer might block the port it needs to use. In other words, I can recieve my Gmail, but I can't send it. Is there a program that can be used to make sure there are no firewalls on? I made sure that the Windows firewall down, and I don't have any others. Also, the Pocket PC was on the same wireless network, so it's not the router or the Internet connection. Thanks in advance!

PS: I thought getting it to work on my Pocket PC was going to be the hard part... :?

EDIT: I just used my ISP's SMTP server and now it works fine! :D

Sparkomatic
12-23-2004, 07:09 PM
Can you post the settings you used for your PPC? I've been trying to configure mine and haven't been successful. Thanks!

marcm
12-23-2004, 08:56 PM
Make sure you have enabled POP3 from the Gmail webmail options.

On the first screen in the wizard, put your email address in. Click next.

On the second screen, put your name in the name box, your full gmail address (username@gmail.com), and your password. You can choose to store your password or not. Click next.

On the third screen, select POP3 as the account type, and name your account. Click next.

On the fourth screen, put in pop.gmail.com as the Incoming mail, and smtp.gmail.com as the Outgoing mail, and leave the Domain blank. Click on options

On the first options screen, choose if you want it to check your gmail automatically, and choose the connection you want to use. (Probably The Internet as opposed to Work. Click next.

On the second options screen, check the Require SSL connection and Outgoing mail requires authentication checkboxes. Make sure the Use separate settings check box is NOT checked. Click next.

On the third options screen, choose if you want it to download full copies of messages or not, and click finish.

You should now be able to get your Gmail on your Pocket PC! :D