View Full Version : Powerpoint Viewer

Gareth Lock
12-23-2004, 01:42 PM
I know pocketslides 1.3 allows the viewing of PPT slides. Is there another option? I saw a friend with his 2210 going through a PPT slideshow the other day but he wasn't using Slideshow. Any idea what it might have been, I am sure he said it was free too.

I won't be seeing him for a little while so was going to ask the wise masses!!

Merry Xmas

Gareth
www.imagesoflife.co.uk

Darius Wey
12-23-2004, 01:47 PM
Pocket Slides (by Conduits) is actually at v2.01 and is a huge step from the old v1.x one. However, there is Pocket Slideshow 1.3 by CNetX if that's what you were referring to.

Gareth Lock
12-23-2004, 02:19 PM
I am sure that both of those you have to pay for. I was looking for a freeware piece of software. If there aren't any I will think about it. I only want to view the presentations on the 2210, I don't need to do any presentations myself.

Thanks

Gareth
www.imagesoflife.co.uk

Darius Wey
12-23-2004, 02:30 PM
Yes, the aforementioned aren't free. I was also thinking of Albatros Slides but that isn't free either. I think it's hard finding a freeware solution for it. Are you dead certain it was a PowerPoint viewer? RepliGo (which is free - the viewer, that is) mimics a PowerPoint viewer if the PPT files are converted to the supported RGO format (the converter is not free though).

Gareth Lock
12-23-2004, 02:42 PM
Yes it was a powerpoint slideshow, as we were viewing a presentation that he had given the previous fortnight. I suppose I will have to wait until after the Xmas break and ask him.

Thanks anyway.

Gareth
www.imagesoflife.co.uk

nategesner
01-15-2005, 12:28 AM
I've been looking for a free viewer as well, but haven't found any. The viewer your friend was using is "Clear Vue" by WestTek or, or something like that. It cost $8.95 on Handango but was included for free with some of the Ipaqs. I had a 2215 and it came with a copy. Unfortunately, that copy only loads to an HP device, since I tried loading it on my new Axim and it wouldn't let me.

Gareth Lock
01-15-2005, 08:16 AM
Thanks for that. I have a 2210 so will have a look on the installation disk.

Gareth

Lex
01-15-2005, 09:23 PM

Gareth

Hey Gareth, I have a 2215 (same unit) and I tried the app on the install disk. Think it was called 'iPresentation Mobile Converter'. First .ppt file I tried it with wouldn't open. Tried repeatedly. Uninstalled. Interested in your experience.

nategesner
01-15-2005, 10:52 PM

Gareth

Hey Gareth, I have a 2215 (same unit) and I tried the app on the install disk. Think it was called 'iPresentation Mobile Converter'. First .ppt file I tried it with wouldn't open. Tried repeatedly. Uninstalled. Interested in your experience.

THAT'S THE WRONG PROGRAM!!! The program is "ClearVue". I just looked at the 2215 disc this morning to verify. Click on "Enhance Your Experience" then "Productivity" then "Pocket PC Applications". You'll see the second item down is "ClearVue Office Suite". This includes three programs, one of which is "ClearVue Presentation Viewer". During the setup, you will be allowed to choose which of the three you want installed. So if you only want the presentation software, you can leave the other two programs off.

This software only allows you to view presentations; you can't edit them. You have to pay $30 or more to find a program that can edit powerpoint.

jdavey
01-16-2005, 12:10 AM
have a look at
http://try.webex.com/mk/get/presenter-hp?TrackID=1001054
their blurb says
"Presentation Mobile Player is part of Presentation Studio, a WebEx service. It is a free, downloadable software that converts and compresses Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentations for viewing on the Pocket PC."
might be what you are after

Lex
01-16-2005, 01:20 AM
THANKS FOR THE CLARIFICATION NATE ! Tried it. No fault of the app but pretty tedious viewing. May be useful for those planning to present from the PPC but fairly hard for viewing due to screen size. Zoom in to read, zoom out to see the whole slide, can't read that text in the lower corner, zoom back in, change slides, do it all over again...

Sven Johannsen
01-16-2005, 07:07 AM
As a point of clarification, AFAIK there is only one option that allows you to view PowerPoint, i.e .ppt files on a PPC. That is Clearvue. All the other options including Pocket Slides, IAPresenter, etc. require converting the .ppt into a proprietary format for viewing with a PPC viewer. Some will allow editing of that PPC file, or even creation of new presentations on the PPC. Pocket Slides even converts back to .ppt on the desktop. The conversion is done somewhat transparently by ActiveSync when you copy a presentation to the device. If you get a PowerPoint .ppt via e-mail directly on your PPC, your only option is Clearvue.

nategesner
01-16-2005, 05:06 PM
I went to try the link to download the "free" Webex software and it started asking for phone number, name, etc. I get the feeling it is more of a marketing ploy, even if it does work. I'd rather pay $8 for ClearVue.

By the way, it can be difficult to read slides. However, if you are using a VGA device, use oz_VGA to switch to true VGA mode and they will look great!