View Full Version : Small PPC

firewired
12-23-2004, 10:36 AM
I have always been a Palm user, but would like to purchase a PPC. I am overwhelmed with the number of models out there and would like anyone's suggestions of which ones to look at. Work is purchasing the PDA and all the software, so the price is not an issue.

My main criteria is size and weight. I currently use a Sony Clie UX-50 which weighs in at 6.2 oz. I have the PDA in the front pocket of my scrubs all day and would actually like something as small as possible, and hopefully lighter than my current Clie.

Thanks for any suggestions for models to look at.

Menneisyys
12-23-2004, 10:45 AM
I have always been a Palm user, but would like to purchase a PPC. I am overwhelmed with the number of models out there and would like anyone's suggestions of which ones to look at. Work is purchasing the PDA and all the software, so the price is not an issue.

My main criteria is size and weight. I currently use a Sony Clie UX-50 which weighs in at 6.2 oz. I have the PDA in the front pocket of my scrubs all day and would actually like something as small as possible, and hopefully lighter than my current Clie.

Thanks for any suggestions for models to look at.

Well, if price is not an issue, then I'd forget about QVGA PDA's at once (they're the lightest machines - the iPAQ 1910/1930/1940, for example; but the screen...) and would go for a VGA device. For example, the Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox 720's weight is only 6 oz. Other VGA models, except for the A730(w), have (sometmes significantly) more weight. See http://www.firstloox.org/VGAppc.htm for more info.

surur
12-23-2004, 01:03 PM
Why are you getting a Pocketpc? Is it for increased power and flexibility, or because the palm platform is fading? The reason I ask is that there are many new pocketpc's that are very powerfull, but the recent batch have been rather larger and heavier. Do you need wifi and bluetooth, and are cameras or phones an issue in your hospital?

On the other hand the Clie is not exactly small and light.
Physical
Dimensions (WxDxH) 10.3 x 8.65 x 1.79 cm
Weight 175 g
Compare the sizes of the recent VGA pocketpc's here.
http://www.aximsite.com/articles/link.php?id=200
The smallest pocketpc I think is still the HP Ipaq 1900 series (4.46" x 2.75" x .50" Weight: 4.37 Ounces ), but this is now very old. If size is your main concern, and you dont mind qvga resolution you may want to look at the older generation of devices, or even the HTC Jam, the smallest pocketpcphone in existence.

Which country are you in, as this may influence the choices available to you.

Surur

chefz
12-23-2004, 04:29 PM
What exactly do you use your current PDA for? For calendaring, games, music and most other programs you'd want to run on a Pocket PC, I would absolutely recommend the iPaq 1900 series. They are incredibly small and light, and you know there's always a leaning on this forum towards the newest and best, but these are really great introductory PPCs that can be found for very low prices now that newer and greater models have been released. Of course there are always drawbacks, so I guess I really can't recommend anything specific until I know what you'd like to do with the PPC :)

Cheers!

Darius Wey
12-24-2004, 02:20 PM
For calendaring, games, music and most other programs you'd want to run on a Pocket PC, I would absolutely recommend the iPaq 1900 series. They are incredibly small and light, and you know there's always a leaning on this forum towards the newest and best, but these are really great introductory PPCs that can be found for very low prices now that newer and greater models have been released.

Of course. I still use one and love it. ;)

Having said that, the h1940 is a decent model, but the only thing it lacks is integrated Wi-Fi. Going along with the previous comments of some of the users, if you're after something along the lines of the h1900 series, the h4150/h4155 is worth having a look at. With roughly the same form factor as the h1900 series, it has integrated Wi-Fi. It lacks the latest OS (that being WM2003SE), but it doesn't make it a whole lot less appealing IMO. The Axim X30 (624MHz) is also worth having a look at if you're after an integrated BT/Wi-Fi solution, although its form factor is a lot different to that of the h1900/h4100 series.

Of course, if price isn't an issue, the VGA Pocket PCs are also worth having a look at but they are by no means as small as the h1900 or h4100 Pocket PCs.

hedgeborn
06-17-2005, 06:07 AM
iPaq 4150: 4.47 by 2.78 by 0.5 in. 4.67 oz
iPaq 1940: 4.46 by 2.75 by 0.5 in. 4.37 oz

It's worth a few 0.01 of an inch and 0.3 oz to get Bluetooth and WiFi, trust me.