View Full Version : Pocket Mechanic.

maximus
12-22-2004, 07:03 AM
I just installed Pocket Mechanic on my PPC. I really find this application to be very useful, especially the 'System Cleanup' function. The ability to delete all unused files in one tap is simply marvelous.

One of the function is 'Registry Cleanup'. When I run this function, I saw a LOT of unused registries, such as : Bad COM registration, Unused Extension, Missing Shellopen application, CAB file entry, link to missing CAB, application setting, etc.

1. What are those ?
2. I have these extreme urge to tap the "Delete All" button. But I currently in the middle of a very heavy week, and I dont think I will have time to hard reset my axim. Is it save to delete all ?

3. What is notification queue ? Is it OK to delete all of them ?

Darius Wey
12-22-2004, 07:35 AM
Re #1: These are registry keys which assign files to certain programs, shortcuts; register certain extensions, etc. Basically, it's the backbone of what keeps your OS all nice and user-friendly.

Re #2: There shouldn't be any harm done if you delete them all, but do note that these cleaner applications are far from perfect, so there's always the risk that it may delete something it shouldn't have. Having said that, these programs have been optimised many times over so the risk of this happening is slim, but it's still possible nonetheless. Obviously, since I'm not there to see what keys it wants to delete, I can't give you the thumbs-up or thumbs-down as to whether you should delete them all. Personally, I just do it manually by using a registry editor.

Re #3: It is probably referring to the queue of notifications/reminders and what not that it is scheduled to notify you about when the time comes. Usually, ones that it is wanting to delete are probably duplicates. MemMaid and a lot of other cleaner applications can identify duplicate notifications.

Menneisyys
12-22-2004, 10:53 AM
Re #3: It is probably referring to the queue of notifications/reminders and what not that it is scheduled to notify you about when the time comes. Usually, ones that it is wanting to delete are probably duplicates. MemMaid and a lot of other cleaner applications can identify duplicate notifications.

Nope, it's the DB_notify_events database (it's this database that the app cleans up), which is a well-known bug with WM2003 and WM2003PE. See http://pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15594 for more info on it.

Darius Wey
12-22-2004, 11:03 AM
Nope, it's the DB_notify_events database (it's this database that the app cleans up), which is a well-known bug with WM2003 and WM2003PE. See http://pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15594 for more info on it.

Yes, that's what I was talking about. The queue of records in the notification database builds up because of the duplicated records that arise at every soft reset on WM2003 devices (because of the bug). So your typical cleaner applications would identify these and attempt to remove them. I wasn't making reference to actual notifications that you set in the device:

"Ones that it is wanting to delete are probably duplicates. MemMaid and a lot of other cleaner applications can identify duplicate notifications."

maximus
12-22-2004, 03:59 PM
Re #1: These are registry keys which assign files to certain programs, shortcuts; register certain extensions, etc. Basically, it's the backbone of what keeps your OS all nice and user-friendly.

Hehe. Yes I know what registry is. I was asking about the details of the following :

Bad COM registration, Unused Extension, Missing Shellopen application, CAB file entry, link to missing CAB, application setting, etc.