View Full Version : Anyone think about doing custom designer PPC shells?

PDANEWBIE
12-22-2004, 03:42 AM
Just wondering when it would come to pass that the PPC's end up getting modded like the X-Boxes and controllers that are out there (shell changed to all verious colors and styles). I mean I love my PPC but wouldn't it be nice if they made the same PPC in a Cobalt Blue or a Ruby Red or a Semitransparent Green? I know there are a wide vaitety of PPC manufacturers but one would think once you have the template for one you could easily change it and mold your own.

I am sure it would void your warranty but I am now without warranty on my PPC anyway so nows the best time to fiddle with it and make it look more personal.

The only good thing I have to say about this is I have a 2215 and I can get a new color handle at least.

smileyguy
12-22-2004, 04:17 AM
Casio tried something like this with the EM-500 line. I think there were 5 colors available. I could only find the boring slate blue one in stock at CompUSA when I bought mine, so I was stuck with that color. Oh, how I wanted the green one :(

Sven Johannsen
12-22-2004, 04:24 AM
The HP Jornada line at least had changeable covers that came in a number of professional and wild colors. At this point I think you have to disassemble your PPC and take the body down to Earl Scheibs.

Darius Wey
12-22-2004, 04:35 AM
Casio tried something like this with the EM-500 line. I think there were 5 colors available. I could only find the boring slate blue one in stock at CompUSA when I bought mine, so I was stuck with that color. Oh, how I wanted the green one :(

There used to be quite a few of these Casio variations at Pricegrabber, but they've run dry as of late. I think eBay might still have a few though.

Pat Logsdon
12-22-2004, 04:40 AM
Check out this thread. (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17870) Earl Scheib not necessarily required. :mrgreen:

PDANEWBIE
12-23-2004, 03:25 AM
Wow nice to see these wraps too bad its on the other coast. While its not quite the solid shell replacement it is a step in the direction I would like to see and whats really good is I have a 2215. I am gonna give them a call and find out about mail order.... the only killer would be the downtime without the unit. Oh well someteims you must sacrifice in the name of art.