View Full Version : Rookie needs help!

Ricardo
12-21-2004, 11:11 PM
Hello

I recently recieved a PocketPC device as a gift. I downloaded a few ebooks from the net and they are working just fine. The problem begins when I try to read regular PDF files in this mobile device. It seems I need to convert these files to a LIT format, but how do I do that?? Maybe it is simple, but I just don't know how to do it! Could someone please help me.
Thank you very much.

Ricardo

Jason Dunn
12-21-2004, 11:48 PM
First off, welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts - I hope you enjoy your time here. :-)

You need the free Acrobat reader from Adobe:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

One of the choices for Platform is Pocket PC - download and install that one.

MPSmith
12-22-2004, 01:17 AM
WOW! Your first post was responded to by the Executive Editor! Pretty special...

:werenotworthy:

Jason Dunn
12-22-2004, 01:22 AM
WOW! Your first post was responded to by the Executive Editor! Pretty special...

Well, see, I'm trying to catch up with Janak in terms of posts. :lol:

Jorgen
12-22-2004, 08:22 AM
WOW! Your first post was responded to by the Executive Editor! Pretty special

Hey, nobody greeted me when I joined!

Jorgen

dMores
12-22-2004, 03:01 PM
i'd suggest converting the PDF to a format that's a little more PDA-friendly.

like ms reader (installed on your ppc by default). it uses .LIT files.
you can create those by downloading the free reader plugin for word.
http://www.microsoft.com/reader/developers/downloads/rmr.asp
copy paste the text from the PDF to a blank word doc, then click on "read for reader" or whatever the button is called, and you get a small, nicely formatted .LIT file.

that's how i started too.
after a while, you want to try different readers and decide which one you like best.

Darius Wey
12-22-2004, 03:31 PM
i'd suggest converting the PDF to a format that's a little more PDA-friendly.

Whilst we're on that topic, it's worth remembering that Adobe Reader features a Reflow function. Ultimately, when you transfer files over from the PC to the Pocket PC over ActiveSync (with the Adobe filter present), tags are added to the document which allows the PDF file to format itself so that the text fits the screen in a nice, legible manner.

Otherwise, RepliGo is great for converting PDFs (and other documents) into a more optimal format. File size tends to be a lot smaller, the RepliGo viewer is snappier, and it supports a similar "Reflow" feature as Adobe Reader does.

Jason Dunn
12-22-2004, 04:04 PM
Hey, nobody greeted me when I joined!

Well that's just not right. Welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts! :mrgreen:

Darius Wey
12-22-2004, 04:13 PM
Well that's just not right. Welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts! :mrgreen:

20 months later... :rotfl:

You crack me up. :lol:

Ricardo
12-22-2004, 08:16 PM
I am truly satisfied, with the prompt solutions to my request for help.
Now I have several ideas. I've already installed the Adobe Reader for Pocket PC and is working perfectly.
Thank you all, and a Merry Christmass.

Ricardo

emuelle1
12-22-2004, 08:59 PM
Nobody welcomed me, either.

I find that Adobe 2.0 is pretty good. Version 1 had some issues with reflow, but version 2 does a pretty good job. I haven't played with the other ones yet.

Darius Wey
12-23-2004, 04:51 AM
Nobody welcomed me, either.

Welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts! :)

I find that Adobe 2.0 is pretty good. Version 1 had some issues with reflow, but version 2 does a pretty good job. I haven't played with the other ones yet.

Version 2 isn't bad but from experience, it still isn't as optimal as some other eBook readers. It's a little quicker than Version 1, but it's still sluggish compared to programs such as RepliGo. Besides, an ~8MB CAB file? It could do with a bit of work...

Jorgen
12-23-2004, 09:42 AM
Well that's just not right. Welcome to Pocket PC Thoughts!

Thank you, Jason, I hope I will be very happy here. :)

Jorgen

skewline
12-24-2004, 06:10 AM
Two Men Called Adam is online at custance.org and i've downloaded the zip file containing it. How do i find what kind of file it is, and then convert it to a readable ebook?I prefer the Mobipocket reader over MS reader if it is possible to make the file fit that requirement.
Please point me or teach me. Thank you. i have a 2215.

Jorgen
12-24-2004, 08:57 AM
It is a lot of HTML files and pictures. You need to unzip it to a directory (use WinZip from www.winzip.com if you use Windows ME, 98 or 95, else you should be able to doubleclick on the name to unpack it). Find the directory you unpacked it to with Windows Explorer and double-click on index.html and you can read it in explorer until you have made the ebook.

Now download MobiPocket's creator from here http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloadsoft/DownloadCreator.asp?edition=Home - you get a free trial. I have never used it, but it is undoubtedly intuitive to use. When it asks for the filename, give it index.html.

Good luck!

Jorgen

skewline
12-24-2004, 08:48 PM
this is my project now for Christmas eve. Most everything is ready for tomorrow, and maybe i'll go to the park with the dog.

Menneisyys
12-26-2004, 05:22 PM
Version 2 isn't bad but from experience, it still isn't as optimal as some other eBook readers. It's a little quicker than Version 1, but it's still sluggish compared to programs such as RepliGo. Besides, an ~8MB CAB file? It could do with a bit of work...

yeah, it's pretty big, but almost half of the installed size is optional and can be freely deleted (the /plugin directory in the program dir) - you won't need them with most of the e-books available, except for reflowable ones/special fill-in forms etc.

back into the QVGA days, I used to use RepliGo too because there are no really usable and reliable PDF converters (I've tested almost all of them) and RepliGo indeed did a good job in reflowed mode, while keeping the special PDF formatting. However, on a VGA machine, most tech e-books I've tried to read work great under Adobe 2.0 - no need for RepliGo any more.

Darius Wey
12-27-2004, 03:36 AM
yeah, it's pretty big, but almost half of the installed size is optional and can be freely deleted (the /plugin directory in the program dir) - you won't need them with most of the e-books available, except for reflowable ones/special fill-in forms etc.

Better to be safe than sorry. :way to go: ;)

xxpinballxx
01-28-2005, 04:24 PM
Well i know I am new and all, heck I haven't even bought my PPC yet, but I would like to take the chance to welcome everyone who came before me and was not welcomed!

Jorgen
01-28-2005, 10:12 PM
xxpinballxx, that is the spirit! But where were you when we needed you? :lol:

And since I now have been recognized by Jason, it should be within my authority to welcome you. Or am I going too far, Jason?

Jorgen