View Full Version : Unable to access Program Files

Ratel10mm
12-21-2004, 06:26 PM
Hello all

Well, my 5550 really seems to be giving me gyp recently. I suffered a hard reset this weekend due to being away from a power supply for too long. No problem, you'd think - just delete my Activesync partnership, rename my PPC, job's a good 'un!
Well, that part was fine. However, I cannot access the Program Files properly. All that shows up in file explorer are the folders for connections and Windows Media????? So I tried a hard reset. Still no joy. Next, I tried to create shortcuts to my SD card games, by opening the games folder through programs on the start menu. But I cannot tap-and-hold!!!??
So I ran a diagnostic. All okay until it came to the button test, where it did not seem able to read the volume control buttons.
Any ideas?
I have ROM 1.10.10 ENG (I have installed firmware update 1.00.18 )
BT Driver 1.4.4.60
WLAN Driver 3.2.4.130
and fingerprint version 3.7.1, Driver 3.9.
So as far as I know, I'm up to date?
Is it worth trying to overwrite the firmware update?

Ratel10mm
12-22-2004, 02:34 PM
Well, I've now tried restoring an old backup, but that hasn't rectified this issue either. I confess I'm at a loss here. I just don't get how something that must be in the ROM can be corrupted by a hard reset? I know that I should be able to tap & hold in my program or games folders (thanks to this thread: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35145 ), but my 5555 just won't have it.
It seems to me like I may have a registry problem? Not something I've ever attempted tampering with. Can anyone offer a suggestion, please?
:?

Also, how do I condense that link so that it shows in my post as, say; this, please?

Darius Wey
12-22-2004, 02:43 PM
Also, how do I condense that link so that it shows in my post as, say; this, please?

[url=http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35145]this[/url]

You need to wrap the word in URL tags, then insert an equals sign and the link within the commencing URL tag. :)

Darius Wey
12-22-2004, 02:48 PM
Well, I've now tried restoring an old backup, but that hasn't rectified this issue either. I confess I'm at a loss here. I just don't get how something that must be in the ROM can be corrupted by a hard reset?

You shouldn't restore a backup from a previous ROM version if that's what you were doing. It can cause system instability. What I can suggest is that you attempt to reflash your ROM with the ROM update once more just in case the previous attempt didn't go as smoothly as it should have. (ROM update link here (http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/download/20669.html)), and then you may want to consider retrying the firmware update for ROM 1.10 once more (firmware update here (http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/download/21700.html)). Try that and see if it solves anything.

Ratel10mm
12-23-2004, 11:48 AM
Hello Darius, and thanks a lot for your help.
I've reflashed the ROM updates, but still no joy. The up button still doesn't work, I still cannot tap & hold in programs or any of the sub folders (although I can in File Explorer), I cannot see anything other than the connections & windows media files in Program files through file explorer, and if I create a shortcut through activesync, I can't see it on the screen, although it does show up in the file structure in File Explorer. I just don't get it - WTF is going on??? :cry:
:bad-words:

Darius Wey
12-23-2004, 12:37 PM
What a bummer. Do you get these problems even when the device is connected to a power source, or does it only arise when running off the battery?

Ratel10mm
01-03-2005, 12:55 PM
Hello Darius, & happy new year.

I had the problem with either power source, but it seems to be mostly resolved now. I re-flashed the ROM again, did a few hard resets, and found that I can get at the required files in file explorer. I still cannot tap & hold in the actual file (i.e. if I open the games or program folders via the start menu), but I can create the shortcuts via file explorer. Also, my 'up' volume button still is inoperative. But at least I have main functionality! I'm going to do a full backup as soon as I have rebuilt the PPC to my liking, and then keep my fingers crossed!

Thnkas for all your support! :way to go: