View Full Version : Help.... I can't reinstall Zone Alarm firewall!!!

nosmohtac
12-21-2004, 02:33 PM
I uninstalled Zone Alarm to try another Firewall, and when I went to reinstall it, I kept getting a memory error. I did a google search for the error and came up with [/url=http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?s=1c036ae1f6e149b7d19adbf040081d78&showtopic=444] THIS link. I followed the advice given there, but it didn't really help, 'cause I had already uninstalled it.

Has anyone here experienced this or know how I can get around this error?

The error I get is: The instruction at "0x01cc2e15" referenced memory at "0x00000004". The memory could not be "read".

Darius Wey
12-22-2004, 05:40 AM
What version of Windows are you running, and do you have any other internet security packages installed?

nosmohtac
12-22-2004, 01:57 PM
Running XP pro and no other security packages.

Darius Wey
12-22-2004, 02:05 PM
Do you also have SP2 installed?

These errors may arise from a vsmon.exe culprit which may be sitting in the task manager. Open the task manager, see if there's a vsmon.exe process running in the background. If so, terminate it and see if you can install ZA from there. Let us know how it goes. :)

nosmohtac
12-22-2004, 02:13 PM
That's exactly who the culprit is. I then open up task manager and close VSMON.exe, then I try to reinstall ZA and it opens it back up. What is VSMON.exe? I thought it was a part of ZA or Antivirus software.

Darius Wey
12-22-2004, 02:23 PM
vsmon.exe is the True Vector Internet Monitor that ZA employs in its security products. The fact that it's still on the system may suggest that the uninstall was not a clean one. In an ideal situation, it shouldn't be left behind. Try terminating it, then restart your computer, and see if it still resides. Otherwise, open up My Computer, hit F3, and do a system-wide search for vsmon.exe. If it is indeed a remnant, it should be located in X:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs and X:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\repair (replace X with your drive letter). As long as you don't have any other ZoneLabs product installed, it's safe to delete it altogether, restart your computer, and attempt a fresh install of ZA.

nosmohtac
12-22-2004, 02:33 PM
Thank you, Darius.

That was it. The install had removed everything from the program files folder, but not from the system32 folder. Deleted,restarted, good to go

Darius Wey
12-22-2004, 02:41 PM
Great! Glad to see it's all been solved. 8)