View Full Version : Asus A730W Nearing Availability

Janak Parekh
12-21-2004, 04:30 PM
If you've patiently been waiting for the WiFi enabled version of the A730, here's your chance. Brighthand <a href="http://www.brighthand.com/article/ASUS_a730w_in_Stock">is reporting that</a> both PROportable and MobilePlanet will have the devices in stock this week. PDA Buyer's Guide <a href="http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Board=news&Number=18290">concurs and reports</a> that their review will be up next week.<br /><br />And if you're wondering if the unit is right for you... you can read Zack's review of the A730 non-WiFi version <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,34628">right here</a>. 8) Anyone going to pick one up? (And, please, let's avoid the "Your Pocket PC Sucks" flamewar this time around. ;))

riuster
12-21-2004, 05:06 PM
both vendors are overpriced, by next week, the 730W will be available 30 dollars cheaper at other vendors.

SpencerAR
12-21-2004, 06:13 PM
Does it have a standard IR port or CIR? The review didn't seem to pay much attention to it.

I want a successor to my iPAQ 3970 to have a CIR because I actually use my PocketPC as a remote control. And in all other respects the 730W looks mighty!

Menneisyys
12-21-2004, 06:43 PM
Does it have a standard IR port or CIR? The review didn't seem to pay much attention to it.

I want a successor to my iPAQ 3970 to have a CIR because I actually use my PocketPC as a remote control. And in all other respects the 730W looks mighty!

The PROPortable guy at the Brighthand ASUS forum ( http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&amp;postid=749012 ) said that it has quite good IR range; much as it's only SIR. It, of course, doesn't have NEVO either.

MkH
12-21-2004, 07:30 PM
I think it's the best looking of the VGA devices out there with the smallest foot print, the closest to a 4150. It may be a little thicker (~.1") then some of the new VGA devices but much shorter (~.5") then most of the VGA devices. Ergonomically it looks like the best fit in a users hand, having no sharp corners. The battery life concerns me, and I see ASUS is shipping a second 1100mAh battery as standard equipment. But does the docking cradle accept a second battery? I also like the idea of USB host and the possibilities that brings with it. After all what's a computer without USB host capability. I also think ASUS should update BT to 1.2 to go along with dual wireless. I've always thougt PPC's should have built in display covers and it's nice to see them making a come back. After all I'm looking to replace my 548, what a workhorse of it's time.

I think the Loox 718 would be my first choice (when and if it becomes available in the US) for a new PPC followed by the Loox 720 (if I could get one) and then the MyPal A730W. I don't think I would consider the Axim X50V because it's a Dell. And I don't think I would consider the hx4700 or an E830 because their size. After that I would have to step down to the hx2750 in QVGA land. Or maybe I'll just wait another year.

gfr
12-21-2004, 07:33 PM
We have the A730W available for 2 weeks now (http://shop.4launch.nl, Netherlands, about 500 euros). I like the unit overall. It has all the connectivity I need and USB Host. The problem I have is the battery life. With BT or WLAN on it's only 2 hours. You get a second battery in the box, but I don't like switching.

surur
12-21-2004, 09:32 PM
(And, please, let's avoid the "Your Pocket PC Sucks" flamewar this time around. ;))

Aaw Janak, look, you killed the thread ! :devilboy:

Just joking :)

Surur

riuster
12-21-2004, 11:47 PM
BATTERY: Concerning the battery, im thinking of buying the 1800mah battery.

USB: Is it USB 2.0?

DELL: Not buying a DELL, totally agreed on that one..I cant stand Dell, although their products are sometimes good.

HP: HP4700 is out of the question, overpriced

730W is available in the USA, not like the LOOX 720, where I have to get it imported from expansys and with an extra 50 bucks on the price tag.

So far the vendors are Pro and Mobile, zipzoom is selling it for 589, but I believe by next week or by January 2005, pricegrabber should get on this and other vendors will have it avail then some price competition should begin.

Zack Mahdavi
12-22-2004, 12:48 AM
But does the docking cradle accept a second battery?

I don't believe it does, or rather, I couldn't figure out where the second battery would go. So, as a simple answer, no. It does include a stylus holder, however. You wouldn't believe how useful that thing was. :)

nategesner
12-22-2004, 01:13 AM
The docking cradle for all a730 models only charges the unit itself. If you want to charge a second battery, you will have to place the battery in the a730 and then place the a730 in the cradle. In other words, you can only charge one battery at a time.

I just ordered the a730 and plan on just buying the larger battery and keeping the original battery as a spare. I'll only need it for longer trips, like on the plane. Otherwise, I am always able to charge several times a day if needed.

Ripper014
12-22-2004, 01:38 AM
The basic premise of the Asus a730W is good... the battery is an issue since you can only charge it in the device. There is no provision to allow you to just charge the battery on the cradle... so this kind of makes the spare a bit useless...

The Loox 718 is not simply a Loox 720 without the camera... it is significantly less of a machine than its big brother... I to would go for the Loox 720 as my first choice... dues to the battery life of the Asus a730W I choose not to buy it... I did however buy the Toshiba e830... I could not resist the pricing... it was $549can at my local brick and mortar... I could have ordered it on-line for $519can with a discount coupon but they did not have any stock... :(

Overall I am happy with it... especially with oz_vga... which is why I am beginning to really like the size of my unit. But I do have one serious issue that may throw a wrench into everything... it will not pair with my Bluetooth GPS... It will see it... but I can not get the two to connect. So in the end it may have to go back to the store... :(

powerbook17
12-22-2004, 03:55 AM
hopefully the screen will be improved, otherwise it's a waste

Johnathan
12-22-2004, 06:02 AM
I have been waiting so long!
Looking forward this verson be realease soon in Mainland, China :)

Menneisyys
12-22-2004, 10:03 AM
But does the docking cradle accept a second battery?

Nope, the PROPortable guy emphasized in the above BH thread that batteries can only be charged in the PPC.

Menneisyys
12-22-2004, 10:20 AM
hopefully the screen will be improved, otherwise it's a waste

Some people in the above-mentioned BH ( http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=112682&amp;perpage=10&amp;pagenumber=14 ) said that it has quite good screen. "Installer" over BH has promised to post some screen comparisons (like those at http://pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35630 ) soon. He said he's so far very happy with the a730W and finds its screen slighly better than that of the A730.

Menneisyys
12-22-2004, 10:22 AM
The Loox 718 is not simply a Loox 720 without the camera... it is significantly less of a machine than its big brother...

??? The only diffeence between the Loox 720 and the 718 is the camera. There're no other differences.

riuster
12-24-2004, 04:47 PM
MobilePlanet is a horrible vendor, go to www.shopping.com and look at the reviews

Proportable is giving a usb host cable for 25bucks..not bad, and a free batter 1100mah..which is totally worthless and we still have to pay shipping of 15 bucks?

How about bone dry for 559$, free shipping

how about 1800 mah battery and usb host cable for 640 and FREE SHIPPING...

How about..I guess not...hahaha