View Full Version : Looking for app to measure sound pressure levels

martin_ayton
12-20-2004, 03:22 PM
Aside from my day job, I work (very) part time as a sound engineer. It would be really useful to be able to use my newly acquired PPC (running Windows Mobile 2nd Edition v4.21.1088) to - at least - measure sound pressure levels in the locations where I mix. Anything to

a) stop me breaking the law by running the rig too loud.

b) give me something to show the moaning minnies who can't cope with anything louder than a quiet whisper.

If the software also does other sound analysis, that would be excellent, but I suspect that is asking way to much from the built-in mic.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers,

Martin.

Darius Wey
12-20-2004, 03:46 PM
Hi Martin,

A week or two ago, I put up a front page news post (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35179) on Flash Logger which does sound analysis, and a lot more. Is that what you were looking for?

martin_ayton
12-20-2004, 07:16 PM
Hey, Darius!

Thanks for replying. That is certainly an interesting bit of kit, but somewhat over-the-top for what I'm looking for. By the time I bought the compatible input microphones, it would also be somewhat out of my price range.

Nokia have a 'phone (can't remember which one, sorry) which has a pre-installed JAVA app. which uses the 'phone's own mic to measure the sound pressure levels. It's very rough and ready, but closer to the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Thanks again.

Martin. :D