View Full Version : Internet Browsing Issue

codename47
12-20-2004, 10:35 AM
Hi All,

I have a severe problem in that I can get access with my 5450 to the internet via WLAN and ping www.google.com or www.yahoo.com. I can even ping IP numbers and send tracerts etc but when I open the browser and put in a www address or an IP it just looks busy and never returns any websites. I have tried 3 different browsers to make sure its not a browser issue but still, I can not call up any webpages although I am clearly connected to the internet. Its really annoying.
Thanks in advance for any help !!!

C47

Steven Cedrone
12-20-2004, 01:06 PM
Try running Welcome.exe in the windows directory on the device...

Steve

codename47
12-21-2004, 09:43 AM
Unfortunately, this has not made any difference.
I don't suppose anyone else has this kind of problem?
Does the IPAQ use the same port for webbrowsing as a "normal" PC ? I was wondering if my firewall (router) was blocking the incoming packets to the ipaq?

The setup is a router (not WLAN) connected to the DSL modem. multiple PCs are connected to the router, one of them with win2k3 server standard edition and a USB WLAN dongle. I have made a network bridge out of both LAN and WLAN adapter and it lets me ping whoever i want, but no websites.

Thanks again !

baker
12-21-2004, 01:31 PM
The page cannot be displayed...our PCs and laptop do this occassionally along with my 4150. I've scoured MS to no avail. What is strange is that certain web pages will continuously not show over a few days (neighbors can browse to them), but others pages on the same device will show. This started after XP SP2, but I don't know if it is the cause or not. I have found that if I "reboot" my wireless router the problems go away.

codename47
12-23-2004, 05:18 PM
Well unfortunately none of the above works in any way.
Luckily my friend has precisely the same 5450 and I tried it with his, precisely the same settings (and precisely the same driver and WLAN firmware versions) and it works fine.
When I have the IPAQ on the USB cradle I can also surf with the browser.
Could it be that the image (Windows 2003) I installed is erroneous ?
Otherwise I will just have to send it back to the retailer and ask for a new one I am afraid.

Oh BTW, I also tried a hard reset and it still didnt work.
:|

Menneisyys
12-24-2004, 12:35 PM
Well unfortunately none of the above works in any way.
Luckily my friend has precisely the same 5450 and I tried it with his, precisely the same settings (and precisely the same driver and WLAN firmware versions) and it works fine.
When I have the IPAQ on the USB cradle I can also surf with the browser.
Could it be that the image (Windows 2003) I installed is erroneous ?
Otherwise I will just have to send it back to the retailer and ask for a new one I am afraid.

Oh BTW, I also tried a hard reset and it still didnt work.
:|

Did you choose 'Work' or 'The Internet' the first time you've connected to the WLAN in question? Assuning you're using WM2003's WZC, it only asks you once about this. BTW, are you using WM2003 (you said "Could it be that the image (Windows 2003)")?

Being able to do anything BUT visiting web pages containing dots in them clearly shows that you've connected to 'Work' and not 'The Internet'.

Menneisyys
12-24-2004, 12:40 PM
BTW, you can circumvent this problem by doing the following: on the Connectivity/Settings/Advanced/Select Networks page, click the Exceptions button (named "Exceptions are needed if your company uses periods (.) in intranet addresses"). Click on "Add new URL" and enter *.*

From now on, you'll be able to access any Web site from 'Work' accounts as well.

BTW, I've published a long, albeit non-English article on all these connectivity issues at http://menneisyys.freeweb.hu/gprs - feel free to check it out if you're not afraid of scarce Finno-Ugric languages ;)