View Full Version : Do You Have Broadband And A Wireless Network At Home

Ed Hansberry
12-20-2004, 12:45 AM
I was wondering how many of our readers have broadband connections and how many have wireless LANs. I guess one could have a wireless LAN that accesses the internet via a shared modem connection. Ewww... that would be brutal! 8O

marcm
12-20-2004, 12:52 AM
I have Broadband and 802.11b. I remember I used to have a connection where a modem had to dial out to send data, but it recieved through our Satellite... (It isn't really a Satellite, it recieves the waves from the CN Tower :?)

emuelle1
12-20-2004, 12:54 AM
That would be brutal. When we first got married, I lived in a condo in a neighborhood where the cable company had no plans to EVER provide cable modems, and I was more than 20,000 feet from a switching station, so no DSL at all. Even with a 56k modem, I was lucky to get dial up connections at 28k. We ran the Internet Connection Sharing with that. It wasn't a whole lot of fun at all.

I bought a wireless router in the hopes of using my laptop wirelessly. It turns out that a PII 233 laptop is apparently not going to work with it, or the PCMCIA cards just can't get the signal. Not sure what. But it paid off because my wife wanted to move her comptuer downstairs, so I bought her a wireless USB thing, and now thanks to wireless she can still access the internet and I have the upstairs computer room all to myself. My router is only and 802.1b, but that's because I didn't pay much attention to wireless stuff and bought impulsively.

sponge
12-20-2004, 12:57 AM
"I call Jason and he reads the lastest PPC Thoughts posts to me over the phone."

Is that another benefit to being a subscriber?

Janak Parekh
12-20-2004, 12:57 AM
Ed -- when I first got WLAN, we did share it over a modem. The ORiNOCO RG-1000 had a built-in modem, and yes, it was brutal -- but cool nevertheless.

What I want to know is how people are voting for "No Internet Connection". Does it mean they call Jason and ask him to vote for them repeatedly? :lol:

--janak

Anthony Caruana
12-20-2004, 12:59 AM
We could even launch an entire discussion on "what is broadband?"

My cousin in the UK started with a 4 MB pipe that will soon be at 16 MB at no extra cost as his ISP upgrades services.

In Australia, the story is quite differnt with 256K being considered broadband with most domestic connections limited to a max of 1.5 MB - but to get that you generally need to pay a premium. Personally, I have a cable connection that is uncapped for download speed but rarely performs better that 1 MB and a 12 GB download limit before shaping slows the connection down.

Even though there are now $20 AUD broadband deals around, these use ADSL (a technology that I don't particularly like) and have pitiful 200 MB or 300 MB usage limits with extra MB or GB priced a ludicrous prices.

GoldKey
12-20-2004, 12:59 AM
This morning, I would have answered 802.11 b, but around 10 AM, my router went dead. Luckily, CompUSA was having a great sale today, so I got a new Motorola g router and g PC card for $9.99 each after rebate. Plus, my newer laptop already had g built in, so I was able to switch over to all g and get the speed advantage.

Janak Parekh
12-20-2004, 01:00 AM
My router is only and 802.1b, but that's because I didn't pay much attention to wireless stuff and bought impulsively.
It's worth pointing out that 802.11b is more than suffficient to share any home broadband connection. 802.11b delivers about 6-8mbps practically, which is more than most non-fiber consumer Internet access solutions (roughly max 2-3mbps) anyway. 802.11g is better if you need file sharing, etc., and 802.11a is similar to g but is also useful if the 2.4GHz band is extremely crowded in your area.

--janak

menajemh
12-20-2004, 01:09 AM
and they work perfect. the cable connection gives me more than 1.3 mega p. second real to download and with the wifi i can be 30 meters from the roter 1 floor down and be connected and download at 500kb per second without any problem. i have a belkin 4 prots router and i don't think i need more that that. i'm really happy. i use the desktop and the wifi i have cause i had an h4150 with wify and the i sold it on ebay. my friends have fun when they come home and connect the laptop the the wifi connection. the are impressed cause they think they have the best connection on the world, :lol: . what i have i feel happy with it and i do not see the necesity to change to the g router type. but i'll see when i'll replace my desktop for a laptop, thing i don't think i'll do by now cause this thing is really covering my neccesity and will do it for the next year for shure.

stoic
12-20-2004, 01:09 AM
I have both b and g access points. My internet service is provided by my cable co. and the cable modem is located in my basement in a wiring closet. There, I also have my 8 port router feeding 8 ethernet ports throughout the house. I have a 802.11b AP in the family room (first floor) that services the older laptops that my kids use and a 802.11g up on the second floor in my bedroom that is used by both me and my wife on my Sony TR3A and her Mac Powerbook 12in.

Jonathon Watkins
12-20-2004, 01:12 AM

My cousin in the UK started with a 4 MB pipe that will soon be at 16 MB at no extra cost as his ISP upgrades services.

In Australia, the story is quite differnt with 256K being considered broadband with most domestic connections limited to a max of 1.5 MB -

:huh:

That's not the UK I know. Does he live in London? They have some insane fibre deals there. For the rest of (most of) the courntry 256K would also be considered broadband, though some are stretching it and calling 128 boradband.

I'm thinking of moving from 512k uncapped ADSL to 2Mb ADSL capped at 5Gb a month, with 1am-6am uncapped. My usage firgures mean that this should be fine.

I am currently useing 802.11b, but my 802.11g Linksys router was shipped yesterday, so I will be on 54Mbs soon. :mrgreen:

It's a whole new world using my PPC over wifi!

Jereboam
12-20-2004, 01:16 AM
You have to love unlimited 600k broadband for 49 francs (just over £20) a month...I have two desktops and two laptops (and my venerable 5450) hanging on the wifi router and never have any hiccups...unless you are doing some serious downloading (ISO's, Paris Hilton videos etc) you shouldn't need more than a half meg connection even if you have a bunch of machines sharing...pointless to pay for more.

Broadband and wifi are two technologies I could genuinely not live without these days.

I would tend always to go with 802.11g if possible, as I am usually streaming something and the more bandwidth you've got the less chance for issues. That's purely an internal thing though, b is more than enough for sharing a broadband connection I reckon.

And to think I first started dialling up to Compuserve at 9.6k and thought that was pretty nifty. On my Texas Instruments laptop at that! Anyone else have a TI machine? Greenscreen was still an option to save money, although I had the full colour one...

J'bm

bigkingfun
12-20-2004, 01:23 AM
I'm curious, does anyone have two broadband connections and a bridging router? I recently switched over from DSL to cable and was seriously tempted to keep both and buy a bridging router to run them simultaneously. My wife's common sense got the better of my lust for speed and redundancy however. :)

maximus
12-20-2004, 01:27 AM
No Internet Access. I call Jason and he reads the latest PPC Thoughts posts to me over the phone.

And I post this message by calling Jason, and he typed this message for me.

:rofl:

Back on topic, got cable connection, no wifi.
A very mighty cable connection I have here ... my average download speed is 10 kb/s. I guess none of you have that kind of cable speed :p

It takes only 30 minutes to download one mp3 on my cable connection :p

wolwol
12-20-2004, 01:38 AM
No Internet Access. I call Jason and he reads the latest PPC Thoughts posts to me over the phone.

And I post this message by calling Jason, and he typed this message for me.

:rofl:

Back on topic, got cable connection, no wifi.
A very mighty cable connection I have here ... my average download speed is 10 kbps. I guess none of you have that kind of cable speed :p

indonesia? :devilboy:
yea...and 64k is considered a highspeed internet... :roll:

surur
12-20-2004, 01:40 AM
Ive just switched over from direct PCI ADSL modem to a ADSL WIFI router, and I find my connection now has much more latency, with graphics on web pages coming up much slower, and pages also loading very much slower. Downloads are still at full speed, but the experience is almost like being on dial-up again.

Is this normal, and is there anything that can be done to improve the situation (I *do* have the option of plugging in an Ethernet cable directly into the adsl/router/wifi access point but I was glad to be rid of one more wire across the floor).

(using the belkin F5D7630uk4A thingie ;) )

Surur

OSUKid7
12-20-2004, 01:42 AM
Cable Internet (Roadrunner), 802.11g router (recently replaced my 802.11b router) and another 802.11g AP to cover the other side of my house.

Janak Parekh
12-20-2004, 01:42 AM
Ive just switched over from direct ADSL modem to a ADSL WIFI router, and I find my connection now has much more latency, with graphics on web pages coming up much slower, and pages also loading very much slower. Downloads are still at full speed, but the experience is almost like being on dial-up again.
No way. This should only happen if your signal is very weak. Try plugging in directly to debug what the source of the problem is. In my experience, my 802.11b setup is nearly identical to plugging directly in to the router or the modem.

--janak

shawnc
12-20-2004, 01:57 AM
802.11g equipment, but the only way I could get my ipaq to connect was to change my network settings from g to mixed. So though my laptop has a g chip, it only receives at b speed. I think that's how it works. Anyway, seems plenty fast to me.

OSUKid7
12-20-2004, 02:02 AM
802.11g equipment, but the only way I could get my ipaq to connect was to change my network settings from g to mixed. So though my laptop has a g chip, it only receives at b speed. I think that's how it works. Anyway, seems plenty fast to me.Mixed mode switches the transfer rate depending on the client speed. So if you have 802.11b and 802.11g clients connected to an 802.11g AP, the b client will get b speeds, and the g clients will try to get g speeds, but since the AP must throtle back for the b client(s), it'll slow down the throughput to the g client(s).

That's how I understand it anyway. ;)

Silver5
12-20-2004, 02:03 AM
Not surprised at the results in the least. Those of us who frequent a site like this are more likely to be nerdy than anyone else! Not me of course...just talking about ya'll :lol:

Ed Hansberry
12-20-2004, 02:05 AM
My router is only and 802.1b, but that's because I didn't pay much attention to wireless stuff and bought impulsively.
It's worth pointing out that 802.11b is more than suffficient to share any home broadband connection. 802.11b delivers about 6-8mbps practically, which is more than most non-fiber consumer Internet access solutions (roughly max 2-3mbps) anyway. 802.11g is better if you need file sharing, etc., and 802.11a is similar to g but is also useful if the 2.4GHz band is extremely crowded in your area.

--janak
G is great for file sharing. I know because at B speeds it is lagging. Unfortunately, My TiVo's don't even support G. I could get some G bridges for them and connect to them via CAT5 and then finally upgrade my router to G speeds. I'll wait though in hopes TiVo drops in some G drivers in the new year.

TzviYosef
12-20-2004, 02:11 AM
I bought G and used it to wirelessly stream programs from one ReplayTV to another. Now I have a house with ethernet in every room, and just use cables. I still have the nice router though, and use it for my laptop. (I don't have WiFi for my Samsung i700 PPCPE).

--Tzvi

Eowyn
12-20-2004, 02:31 AM
I currently have cable internet. Just this last weekend, I started thinking about getting WIFI.

gt24
12-20-2004, 02:35 AM
You didn't have my option! Well, my option for now...

I am home from college, at my parents house, where they have among the fastest internet in the county.

Four desktop machines, soon to be 5, and two pdas are on the network. An additional computer, a linux box running the smoothwall distro, shares a 56k modem connection out to the other 4 other computers on a 5 port hub (not a switch, and it is only 10 Mbps). An upgraded hub is needed if any more computers are to connect at this point. One of those lines goes into a netgear wireless router that I own that, along with having 4 ports (one is incomming internet, one is outgoing to my desktop) this router has wireless 802.11g capability (running only at b mode due to the nature of the network, I don't really need g. Besides, ppcs love b). This netgear isn't a permentant addition to the network, just temporarily there to provide wireless to my pda and my sister's pda.

So, I choose the closest option. You didn't think that a modem would be shared on a LAN and be broadcast wirelessly, now did ya? :)

(my connection is terrible)

freitasm
12-20-2004, 03:03 AM

In Australia, the story is quite differnt with 256K being considered broadband with most domestic connections limited to a max of 1.5 MB - but to get that you generally need to pay a premium. Personally, I have a cable connection that is uncapped for download speed but rarely performs better that 1 MB and a 12 GB download limit before shaping slows the connection down.

True. Here in New Zealand the incumbent telco says 256Kbps is broadband. Yeah, right...

I have a 10Mbps connection at home (cable mode), which is superb. I share this between a Windows desktop, an iMac, a Tablet, Laptop and a couple of Pocket PC.

Busdriver
12-20-2004, 03:14 AM
It's worth pointing out that 802.11b is more than suffficient to share any home broadband connection....

But I'd swear it had a better range. Suppose it could be the router itself though.

webdaemon
12-20-2004, 03:26 AM
OK. I have ADSL at 256/1.6 with a b/g wireless router wired to my desktop PC in the office, wired down to the living room to a switch that serves my Xbox, PS2, network connected DVD player and occasionally my laptop when my g wireless connection freaks out. Then I have my new PPC connected on the b channel which usually just sits in the charger in the living room when I'm at home, and my old PPC connected on the b channel in my bedroom.

Now if I can get my coffee maker to talk to the network, I'll be all set! Seriously, I don't need any appliances to be networked. I'm in no rush to have my local market deliver groceries because my fridge ordered milk...

shawnc
12-20-2004, 03:31 AM
802.11g equipment, but the only way I could get my ipaq to connect was to change my network settings from g to mixed. So though my laptop has a g chip, it only receives at b speed. I think that's how it works. Anyway, seems plenty fast to me.Mixed mode switches the transfer rate depending on the client speed. So if you have 802.11b and 802.11g clients connected to an 802.11g AP, the b client will get b speeds, and the g clients will try to get g speeds, but since the AP must throtle back for the b client(s), it'll slow down the throughput to the g client(s).

That's how I understand it anyway. ;)

uhh, yeah, I knew that :wink: . Thanx for the explanation OSUKid7 :) .

PS - I love this site but sometimes you guys have no idea how you sound. It's like you speak in a foreign tougue. Of course, I mean that as a compliment :lol: .

dwildone
12-20-2004, 04:28 AM
I just recently finished building about 30 minutes outside of the city. There is no cable TV here, so obviously no cable broadband, and DSL is slated for expansion here sometime in 2010 (honestly, that was Verizon's answer to the scheduled rollout date). I had lived with a 56k modem connection while I tried to figure out what to do. Satelite was the only easily available option, but there were so many bad reviews of DirectWay that I was hesitant. About that time, a friend of mine from way back called and said that he was in the process of starting up a wireless broadband company and was looking for some help to expand coverage into my area. I helped him get on a radio tower that is close to my house, and now I have a 1.7 Mb averagle down and 750k up for less than the cost of ADSL or cable that goes right to my G router.

Darius Wey
12-20-2004, 05:36 AM
In Australia, the story is quite differnt with 256K being considered broadband with most domestic connections limited to a max of 1.5 MB - but to get that you generally need to pay a premium. Personally, I have a cable connection that is uncapped for download speed but rarely performs better that 1 MB and a 12 GB download limit before shaping slows the connection down. Even though there are now $20 AUD broadband deals around, these use ADSL (a technology that I don't particularly like) and have pitiful 200 MB or 300 MB usage limits with extra MB or GB priced a ludicrous prices.

I tell you what though...TPG's unlimited 1.5Mbps ADSL is certainly enticing at the moment. I may make the move someday. ;)

ADBrown
12-20-2004, 05:39 AM
Satelite was the only easily available option, but there were so many bad reviews of DirectWay that I was hesitant.

You should be. Run like f--k.

About that time, a friend of mine from way back called and said that he was in the process of starting up a wireless broadband company and was looking for some help to expand coverage into my area. I helped him get on a radio tower that is close to my house, and now I have a 1.7 Mb averagle down and 750k up for less than the cost of ADSL or cable that goes right to my G router.

I hate you. :evil: :frusty:

Darius Wey
12-20-2004, 05:46 AM
I'll spill the beans: I'm still sitting on a 56K connection at the moment. My ISP has told me for about a decade that my lines were incompatible with ADSL, until they called me up the other day to tell me I was never in that situation, and if I wanted to apply for ADSL, I could. Go figure. :roll:

Anyway, I'm waiting for my application to be processed to take my connection to 512K or perhaps 1.5M if I'm lucky. Otherwise, lacklustre connections aside, my house is wirelessly connected on LAN (802.11b/g) and PAN (BT) - it keeps my computers and mobile devices happy at the moment. :)

arnage2
12-20-2004, 05:46 AM
i have 3-5mbps cable broadband running on a D-Link 802.11g wireless router.

its nice to be online on my laptop everywhere on my property

(i went from 31.2k dialup to 3mbps cable :p )

Anthony Caruana
12-20-2004, 05:59 AM
I'll spill the beans: I'm still sitting on a 56K connection at the moment.

Man - you managed to get that many posts up on just 56k 8O

You must have great perserverence and patience!

Darius Wey
12-20-2004, 06:58 AM
Man - you managed to get that many posts up on just 56k 8O

You must have great perserverence and patience!

Yes. I worry myself sometimes. :P

maximus
12-20-2004, 07:15 AM
I have a 10Mbps connection at home (cable mode), which is superb. I share this between a Windows desktop, an iMac, a Tablet, Laptop and a couple of Pocket PC.

Stop it already. If I read another post mentioning that their cable can go faster than 10 kb/s, I am gonna kill myself :p

Vidge
12-20-2004, 07:19 AM
I'm at the edge of DSL so my "broadband" connection is only 256k. In my home office, I have 3 computers wired to a 4-port router. Connected wirelessly (g) I have my 2 laptops, 2 other computers, my Sony U 750p handtop, my hp 4155, my T3 & my partner's Zire 72. All this talk of higher speeds makes me wish I could get it.

KTamas
12-20-2004, 07:34 AM
"No Internet Access. I call Jason and he reads the latest PPC Thoughts posts to me over the phone." for me :lol:
To be serious: 384/64 ADSL here, no WLAN.

ipaq_wannabe
12-20-2004, 07:35 AM
at home i have a 40Mbps ADSL broadband connection... and my network setup would consist of a PCI 8-port router (equipped with a/b/g WiFi, VPN functionality, and two USB2 ports) - i would have 2 servers connected to it (Dell Optiflexes bought second-hand), an old Optiflex G1 that serves as a desktop machine, and a Dell Inspiron notebook over WiFi... i also have my Loox, my Clies, my Zauruses connected via WiFi...

and all for only US$50 a month...

i would just love japan...

however, i wish i were in Korea - you could find a broadband WiFi connection almost anywhere in the city...

*bummer*

szamot
12-20-2004, 09:07 AM
I must say that I do prefer ADSL, always had over cable, but it was not until recently that ADSL went live in my neck of the woods. Still for $24/m for 1.5mbps connection is plenty fine to run my house, and plenty cheap.
Running MSI MEGA 651 with WMC 2005 as media "server"
2 desktops
1 laptop
2 Audrey's

Really I have no need for wireless, I have 7 neighbours who insist on me using theirs. Now, if one had the time to multiplex all seven of them that would be some good speed and free too. But alas my powers are only used for good. :twisted:

bjornkeizers
12-20-2004, 11:20 AM
I've got broadband and everything on 802.11b - it's awesome. Best thing since the invention of the wheel. Whether I'm in the office, my backyard, or in the little boys room, I always have my internet with me (Yes, I use my Clie in the bathroom - deal with it.)

that_kid
12-20-2004, 02:07 PM
But I'd swear it had a better range. Suppose it could be the router itself though.

I got better range out of my 802.11b equipment than my "G". I've since made improvements that negate that but I did notice that when I switched.

I've had broadband for some years now and I've had wifi sinc the fisrt equipment hit the streets. My parents were doing the modem sharing with wifi deal until broadband came to their area. It was brutal for them and me when I was visiting. I guess the jokes on me now cause their internet connection is 10megabits down and 1 megabit up 8O . Now when I go up I try to use it as much as I can :lol:.

jt3
12-20-2004, 03:29 PM
I voted "Broadband and 802.11a" because that's what I use most often. However, my wireless network supports the a, b, and g formats. Otherwise, I could never use my Pocket-PC wirelessly... and that'd be a shame!

I went with the a/b/g router because I got tired of getting kicked off the network everytime someone starting popping a bag of popcorn in the microwave. At the time (though not so much anymore), I was spending a LOT of time working on my laptop wirelessly, and couldn't afford to keep getting kicked off like that. With the 5GHz frequency of the 802.11a network, I never have to worry about that.

Jonathan1
12-20-2004, 04:02 PM
Nutten but broadband and G baby. WOOT! :rock on dude!:

Sorry. Too many Starbuck’s frap mochas this morning. 8O :morning:

rmasinag
12-20-2004, 08:26 PM
there's a choice missing. what about

"No connection at home but I live at work" :D

OSUKid7
12-20-2004, 08:33 PM
there's a choice missing. what about

"No connection at home but I live at work" :DI think that's what the last choice means. ;) Or Internet access somewhere else...school, library, etc.

Jason Dunn
12-21-2004, 01:23 AM
Interesting discussion!

I have a cable modem that I use with an MN-700 G router. I recently upgraded to an "extreme" modem package from my provider, but today I cancelled it. The upload speed was doubled (500 kbps went to 1000 kbps), but the download speeds were no better (around 2500 kbps). It was only $10 a month, but it seemed like a waste since I don't upload big files all that often. What's REALLY frustrating is that I can see that it's capable of so much more - when I first start uploads on big files, it hits 2000 kbps upstream, then throttles back to 1000 kbps within about five seconds...so they must be doing some sort of capping. Same for download speeds - it bursts to 3500 kbps then pulls back. <sigh> :evil:

OSUKid7
12-21-2004, 02:15 AM
I recently upgraded to an "extreme" modem package from my provider, but today I cancelled it. The upload speed was doubled (500 kbps went to 1000 kbps), but the download speeds were no better (around 2500 kbps). It was only $10 a month, but it seemed like a waste since I don't upload big files all that often. What's REALLY frustrating is that I can see that it's capable of so much more - when I first start uploads on big files, it hits 2000 kbps upstream, then throttles back to 1000 kbps within about five seconds...so they must be doing some sort of capping. Same for download speeds - it bursts to 3500 kbps then pulls back. <sigh> :evil:Yeah, Road Runner here started offering "Road Runner Premium" that offers 6Mbps downstream (compared to 3Mbps for regular Road Runner) and they include a wireless networking kit. I'd hate to be tied to Time Warner's router/AP and probably wouldn't even use that. $20 more for twice the speed does sound good, but look at Japan...we're getting jipped here in America. :|

Jonathon Watkins
12-21-2004, 11:51 AM
.....we're getting jipped here in America. :|

Don't talk to us Europeas about that. Broadband is stil very expensive here in the UK. :? I'm paying £25 (US$48 ) for a 512Kbs link, though I am about to move to a 2Mbs capped link for £20 (US$38 ).

OSUKid7
12-21-2004, 02:14 PM

Don't talk to us Europeas about that. Broadband is stil very expensive here in the UK. :? I'm paying £25 (US$48 ) for a 512Mb link, though I am about to move to a 2Mbs capped link for £20 (US$38 ).
Ah my fault, Europeans are getting jipped too. ;) :lol: lol...yeah, the DSL prices here are about that too- $45 for 512Kbps (which I think is what you meant ;)), the last time I checked. Hopefully the advances in Asia will drop the prices elsewhere.

Jonathon Watkins
12-21-2004, 02:25 PM

Don't talk to us Europeas about that. Broadband is stil very expensive here in the UK. :? I'm paying £25 (US$48 ) for a 512Mb link, though I am about to move to a 2Mbs capped link for £20 (US$38 ).
Ah my fault, Europeans are getting jipped too. ;) :lol: lol...yeah, the DSL prices here are about that too- $45 for 512Kbps (which I think is what you meant ;)), the last time I checked.

I was just getting crossed wires from myself 10 years in the future. I was just posting how we are stuck at half a gigabyte a second and how slow it was! :lol: :wink:

maximus
12-22-2004, 06:44 AM

Don't talk to us Europeas about that. Broadband is stil very expensive here in the UK. :? I'm paying £25 (US$48 ) for a 512Kbs link, though I am about to move to a 2Mbs capped link for £20 (US$38 ).

Consider yourself lucky. I currently pay around USD 110 a month for a 64Kbps cable. And the fastest download speed that I ever experience is 15 kb/s. Bleh.

I wish I am back in japan/korea.

Steve Jordan
12-24-2004, 03:56 PM
I had DSL and B in the house up until this year, when my DSL speeds dropped to a crawl... I was at the end of the DSL stream, and I can only guess the rest of my neighborhood adopted DSL in a big way. So now I'm on cable and B, and looking forward to upgrading the wireless to A or G. I've been burning music with my laptop, and sending those files via wireless to my PC is a slow pain.

jcmoffitt
12-24-2004, 05:07 PM
I have had DSL now for the last year through Bellsouth and just recently upgraded my Linksys router/firewall/switch (wired) to a Motorola switch/firewall/router/802.11g wireless AP. (Early Christmas present from wife) I use it with my laptop and Pocket PC that both have wireless capability included. I love the ability to walk around anywhere in the house getting e-mail, playing cards or whatever I might want to do on a whim.

I remember many years ago when I experienced my first modem. I installed Prodigy on my 286 computer and a 2400 baud modem. I remember downloading my first binary file using xmodem and watching the "nacks" clicking along. I remember how cool I thought it was to sit and watch something download to my hard drive and NOT have to get into my car and drive across town with several floppies to get something. Then I graduated to the BBS world where I ran several BBS's on anything from an XT with MFM drives and a 300 baud modem up to a 386sx with a 212 Western Digital Caviar Hard Drive and a 33.6 modem. Man, those were the days huh? LOL

Merry Christmas one and all !!

Magellan
12-24-2004, 05:31 PM
I have cable internet and an a,b,g router. My 3 pc's are using a, and most everything else I use, (handhelds, media server, etc.) are using b or g.

Rob Loach
12-24-2004, 06:16 PM
I'm on a wireless LAN. Very, very nice I must say. I recommend trying it out. It's also getting easier and easier to set up nowadays.

frankenbike
12-24-2004, 11:22 PM
I've got a cable modem that hooks up to a Microsoft MN700 B/G/ethernet router (it was cheap and works acceptably). The two desktop PCs are wired (and are almost always in use), the laptop is running G and works at the same speeds as the PCs on the Internet, and the Axim is running B and doesn't have to run all that fast (the most demanding thing is streaming audio, and it doesn't seem to have a problem with that, though I do run Mortplayer with a 5 second buffer).

I can't even fathom what sort of problem people have with a setup like that. Though I do live in a neighborhood of single family homes, which keeps the density down and speeds up.

dena222
12-25-2004, 04:01 AM
Must be the week for croaking routers... mine went south on Sunday, but by Wednesday, we were back in business with a shiny new 802.11g, and singing the praises of wondrous technology. Feels like Christmas in December... wait, uh, Christmas IS in December... :)

JohnBecker
12-26-2004, 02:20 PM
I couldn't live without Cable Broadband and my wireless network. I recently purchased a new laptop with 802.11G and I love it. My wife and kids each have a laptop as well (along with 4 more PC's in the basement). All of the laptops are wireless and it's fantastic.

The T1 at the office seems too slow. I guess I'm spoiled with my 4MB/sec connection through cable!

I only wish my Pocket PC had wireless G, but I shouldn't complain. My newest device is the Verizon XV6600 with Internet access. So if I really get bored, I'll just connect to my Server 2003 and access the entire network using Remote Desktop and PC Anywhere directly from my phone!

Gee! You gotta love technology!

4 Laptops
4 Pocket PC's
4 PC's

Next thing is to get the GameCube networked wirelessly as well !

k1darkknight
12-28-2004, 11:18 AM
Well, my one caveat is this:
Our DSL comes in then goes through a DSL/Cable router/gateway/switch w/o wireless access point. THEN it goes to a DSL/Cable router/gateway/switch WITH wireless access point, BUT in order for the computers plugged directly into the non-wireless router to see the computers plugged into the wireless one (and vice-versa), the cable running between the two can't be plugged into the upstream port on the wireless one. No problem, so far, and that's how we have it hooked up...cable running from the non-wireless downstream port to a downstream port on the wireless one, with all computers on downstream ports on one or the other...

NOW it gets fun...without any connection on the upstream port, the wireless router (/etc.) not only isn't browser-accessible (to adjust its settings, etc.) but the wireless can't get IP addresses assigned to it, so the wireless is virtually unusable! I don't have the model numbers in front of me, but they are both netgear, as is my CF wireless card for my PPC. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, PLEASE let me know! If you can help, my e-mail address is k1darkknight at yahoo dot com.

Thanx all!
Chris, aka wireless-confused

OSUKid7
12-28-2004, 02:38 PM
Well, my one caveat is this:
Our DSL comes in then goes through a DSL/Cable router/gateway/switch w/o wireless access point. THEN it goes to a DSL/Cable router/gateway/switch WITH wireless access point, BUT in order for the computers plugged directly into the non-wireless router to see the computers plugged into the wireless one (and vice-versa), the cable running between the two can't be plugged into the upstream port on the wireless one. No problem, so far, and that's how we have it hooked up...cable running from the non-wireless downstream port to a downstream port on the wireless one, with all computers on downstream ports on one or the other...

NOW it gets fun...without any connection on the upstream port, the wireless router (/etc.) not only isn't browser-accessible (to adjust its settings, etc.) but the wireless can't get IP addresses assigned to it, so the wireless is virtually unusable! I don't have the model numbers in front of me, but they are both netgear, as is my CF wireless card for my PPC. If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this, PLEASE let me know! If you can help, my e-mail address is k1darkknight at yahoo dot com.
Hey...I'm not gonna email you, but equlizer is having a similar problem (I think), so check out that thread here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35880).

AceRimmer
12-29-2004, 12:24 PM
Im privileged enough to be modem on a shared lan, broadband is coming to these parts soon though, then ill be going wireless.

Anthony3000
01-06-2005, 11:46 PM
10mbits and a G connection for me.