View Full Version : Screen protector or just keep it clean????

MTHall47
12-19-2004, 03:38 PM
I am currently one frustrated camper.

I have bought several screen protectors ranging from cheap to expensive.
My problem with ALL is that I have a heck of a time getting out air bubbles, etc. I have read on other sites opinions ranging from don't dare use your PDA without a screen protector to the other end of the scale saying it is only a matter of preference.

So what do you all think??

1] Use a screen protector or just keep the screen clean and carry your Pocket PC in a case??

2] What kind of cleaning fluid/cloth do you use??

Sven Johannsen
12-19-2004, 05:25 PM
I'm a screen protector agnostic myself. I have a couple of PPCs without protection that I have had for quite a while that have not sufferred any appreciable harm. I have two that I sent to PPC Techs for RAM upgrades and bought protectors that they applied before shipping the units back. My 4155 has a regular protector, the one that is supposed to help glare, and my X50 has the crystal clear. I must say that the crystal clear one is. To the point that I ordered a two pack and wondered where the second one was when I got around to deciding to put the protector on. I honestly used the x50v for a week or two and didn't realize they had put one of them on there. I had to examine it very closely to see the edges, to know it was there.

For cleaning any of the units I have I tend to use the solution and cloths that you would use for eye glasses. I spray the cloth, not the screen.

It also must be said that I tend to use my devices for data retrieval, not so much for entry, so my screen scratching may not be as significant as others who are heavy enterers. I also use Calligrapher so my entry is spread across the whole screen as opposed to those who confine their entry to the bottom section SIPs. You also need to know that my PPC life cycle is 9-12 months, so if your usage is different, YMMV. I do tend to use one device predominantly as my day to day unit. All my units live in a Sena case, except for my X50, and it's case is on order (yes, Sena). It stays in the stock one for now.

If you haven't tried the PPCTechs protectors, I am very pleased with their quality, though I haven't put one one myself. (They did it). They are a bit pricey, but they come with a pretty complete kit of essentials to prepare the screen. If you decide you need them, these are good ones.

MTHall47
12-19-2004, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. One of my next issues was which case to
get. I have heard good things about Sena.

OSUKid7
12-19-2004, 07:22 PM
I too had problems with bubbles and smudges on my iPAQ H3870, with WriteRight screen protectors. No matter what I did, I always semeed to get a fingerprint or bubble on my screen. I learned to ignore them, but I wasn't happy.

When I got my hx4705, I went with the good stuff: WriteSHIELD C² DELUXE HP iPAQ hx4700 Series 2-Pak Kit (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/detail.asp?Product_ID=WSPDA017C2-2D). It's really expensive for two protecotrs, but I've heard they last for months if not years. Following the instructions exactly, I had no problems at all applying the protector, and it looks just as good today. Looking at my Pocket PC, I couldn't even tell there's a screen protector on it untile I get about an inch away - and only then when I look at the corners. It's one of the best purchases I've ever made for my Pocket PC. The "Klear Screen cleaner" is also great. I use it on my iPAQ ever week or two, whenever I notice a smudge on the screen. It also works great on my Tablet PC and desktop's LCD screen.

So I'd really recommend going with PPCTechs' WriteSHIELD (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/ws.asp) line. They're not cheap, but neither is the quality. :)

TheOrange
12-20-2004, 04:22 AM
I haven't used a screen protector in years - they always made using the device that much more difficult. It seems that if I can avoid mashing my stylus into the screen, then my screen stays in pretty good shape. I'd say, if you are rough with things, then get the protectors. If not, then they are just over-priced sheets of plastic.

As for cleaning, I just use the same microfiber cloth thing that I use on my sunglasses. Sometimes a little compressed air to get the buildup out of the seams.

Ripper014
12-20-2004, 04:30 AM
I have never used a top of the line screen protector... though I have always used them on every unit I have ever owned. But this trend is about to change and I hope I made a good decision. I just bought a Brando Screen Protector... only because I understand that they are cut more precise... with less gap between the protector and the bazel on the PocketPC.

As for cases I love my Sena case... I have one for my Hp2210... and will get one for my new Toshiba in the future. I will not soon forget the customer service that they supplied me when I had issues with my first case. They have a customer for life.

I do wish they would use a little thicker leather on some parts of my Hp2200 case... but the case I got for the Hp1940 is perfect...

Sven Johannsen
12-20-2004, 05:09 AM
An additional comment on cases. Not many cases allow syncing with the case on, in the cradle. Many of the SENA ones do. (my 4155, 2215, future X50 case do...the X30 and X5 do not.) It depends a lot on the construction of the PPC and the cradle. What allows cradle sync is the thin leather crotchless pantie at the bottom of the case. While allowing the cradle sync, it does not afford a lot of protection. I personally am concerned about protecting the screen and convenience. I don't drop my PPCs...knock on wood. If I did though, and the landed bottom down, it would be like no case at all. I have tried other brands, but for me the SENA is the best value for the money, and my needs.

Darius Wey
12-20-2004, 05:28 AM
Cheap screen protectors tend to suffer a lot from the bubble problems you're referring to. The trick to applying them properly is to try and keep your environment as dust-free as possible. Clean the screen with the cleaning cloth before you apply the screen protector. Try not to leave any dust particles on your screen. Then the trick is to take it slow: some kits have a application card (smoothie) which allows you to push the bubbles out as you apply it. If you don't have this, a credit card will do as well. Then start from the top edge of the Pocket PC, and slowly edge the bubbles out with your card as you apply the protector bit-by-bit down the screen. Once you get to the end, use the card and run it up and down the screen to push out any minor bubbles sitting at the edge. Obviously, you will still find bubbles under the screen, but these tend to disappear within a week or two as your stylus pushes it out.

With cases, what kind of case are you looking for? A metal or a leather one? Personally, I'm using a leather case from nSignia. At the bottom, there is an opening which allows you to attach your sync/charger cable, and it works well. I've not tested it in a cradle yet though. Every company out there has different designs, and it really comes down to what you're after in a case.

Pat Logsdon
12-20-2004, 06:26 AM
What allows cradle sync is the thin leather crotchless pantie at the bottom of the case. While allowing the cradle sync, it does not afford a lot of protection.
8O The mind truly boggles. :mrgreen:

As far as screen protectors go, I'll echo what others have said and advise you to stay away from the cheap stuff. Writeshields are what I use, and I can go for months without changing one. They're stiffer, so they're easier to apply, and they're slightly textured, which makes it feel like you're writing on paper. That texturing also helps reduce glare.

Darius Wey
12-20-2004, 06:37 AM
What allows cradle sync is the thin leather crotchless pantie at the bottom of the case. While allowing the cradle sync, it does not afford a lot of protection.

:rotfl:

Insanely hilarious. :)

Jonathon Watkins
12-20-2004, 11:24 AM

:rotfl:

Insanely hilarious. :)

Behave you two. :wink: I'm sure Sven meant it innocently - right Sven? :devilboy:

dylanbj
12-20-2004, 02:42 PM
Beware the Belkin screen protectors, I found it impossible to apply them without about a million tiny bubbles appearing under it. I used up the whole pack without it even working once!

Darius Wey
12-20-2004, 02:56 PM
Beware the Belkin screen protectors, I found it impossible to apply them without about a million tiny bubbles appearing under it. I used up the whole pack without it even working once!

You'll be surprised. Yes - they aren't as good as some of the other makes, but the bubbles can still be ironed out. I'm still trying to finish off an old pack I had lying around the house and if you apply it properly (as I mentioned in my previous post) and give it about two weeks (with your stylus helping squeeze out the bubbles from beneath the screen protector), you'll find that all the bubbles will disappear.

MTHall47
12-20-2004, 03:06 PM
I haven't quite figured out what kind of case to get. I like the idea of a leather flip top. My only concern with metal ones is that maybe they will be a bit bulky. Was wondering if there is a case which is like a hybrid cross between Sena and Otter Box??

Cheap screen protectors tend to suffer a lot from the bubble problems you're referring to. The trick to applying them properly is to try and keep your environment as dust-free as possible. Clean the screen with the cleaning cloth before you apply the screen protector. Try not to leave any dust particles on your screen. Then the trick is to take it slow: some kits have a application card (smoothie) which allows you to push the bubbles out as you apply it. If you don't have this, a credit card will do as well. Then start from the top edge of the Pocket PC, and slowly edge the bubbles out with your card as you apply the protector bit-by-bit down the screen. Once you get to the end, use the card and run it up and down the screen to push out any minor bubbles sitting at the edge. Obviously, you will still find bubbles under the screen, but these tend to disappear within a week or two as your stylus pushes it out.

With cases, what kind of case are you looking for? A metal or a leather one? Personally, I'm using a leather case from nSignia. At the bottom, there is an opening which allows you to attach your sync/charger cable, and it works well. I've not tested it in a cradle yet though. Every company out there has different designs, and it really comes down to what you're after in a case.

Darius Wey
12-20-2004, 03:27 PM
I haven't quite figured out what kind of case to get. I like the idea of a leather flip top. My only concern with metal ones is that maybe they will be a bit bulky. Was wondering if there is a case which is like a hybrid cross between Sena and Otter Box??

I'm having trouble fathoming the idea of a hybrid cross between Sena and Otter Box. The latter focus on ruggedised cases and add quite a bit of bulk to the unit, which is what you were trying to avoid in the case of metal ones.

Sena, Vaja and nSignia all make great leather cases. What unit did you have?

MROX
12-20-2004, 07:26 PM
I use to be very careful with all my gear. So I tough I could live without those screen protection.

One day, I’m having breakfast outside under a nice sunny morning. I was working a little on my PDA at the same time. I was writing down something when a very tinny dust or sand (I got no idea what it was) fall right between my screen and my stylus. I saw it fall so it took me about a half inch to stop my movement.
So now you how long is the deep scratch on my screen… I just couldn’t believe it, but it did happen.

Unfortunately, I don’t remember what the is brand of screen protector I have, but it work fine.

So today if you see a crazy man in the street telling everybody to buy a screen protector, that’s me.

Jeff Rutledge
12-20-2004, 10:44 PM
I've just had to have my iPAQ replaced because I didn't use a screen protector. I had several "wear" marks on the screen where the on-screen keyboard is. I use FITALY and most of the marks were in the centre (which, I guess, proves their claim that they've optimized the layout ;)).

There's also a wear mark in the top right corner.

At any rate, I won't go wtihout a screen protector from here on in.

YMMV of course.

V-iPAQ
12-21-2004, 12:21 AM
spent too many dead films trying to get it dust free. guess i have to go to anouther country first...

ctmagnus
12-22-2004, 06:56 AM
Regarding cheap screen protectors, there are cheap, cheap screen protectors and there are cheap, better quality screen protectors. I recommend iConcepts screen protectors if you don't want to spend a lot of cash, but the expensive ones are sooo nice to use.

maximus
12-22-2004, 07:15 AM
Never ever tap the screen without screen protector on .. unless you plan to buy new PPC every 3-4 months or so. My wife learned that the hard way with several scrathes on her XDA2. She is quite a gentle lady, yet she still manages to scratch the innocent XDA2. Bad bad girl :)

What allows cradle sync is the thin leather crotchless pantie at the bottom of the case.

:rofl: MSMVP - Leather Devices :)

MTHall47
12-22-2004, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the input. I certainly don't to replace my PPC. I didn't have it in the budget to get one in the first place.

MTHall47
12-22-2004, 03:06 PM
Well, I finally got Write Shield, but I still simply can't seem to get it to go on without bubbles, etc. no matter what I do. I use a credit card to smooth it out, clean the screen first, and have now used both the screen protectors which came with the kit.

Would it help to clean off both sides of the protectors, clean the X5 screen again, and try one more time??

webdaemon
12-22-2004, 03:29 PM
That's what's so good about those protectors. You can remove them and re-apply. I have a little tiny dust spec under mine but it's way up in the corner and doens't interfere with input so I just left well enough alone.

As for cases, I bought a tiny camera bag for mine. I can not only keep my x50v well protected, there's room to store my extra battery, the battery cover, SD and CF cards, a USB bluetooth adapter, ear buds and even an old USB flash drive I still use occasionally. I've never liked straping my PDA to my belt so carrying it in the camera bag is a much better alternative for me.

Darius Wey
12-22-2004, 03:35 PM
How big are these bubbles? As I suggested earlier, make sure the environment is dust-free. The next step is to apply it *slowly*, bit-by-bit. So align the border of the screen protector with the top edge of the PPC screen, and slowly edge it out as you roll it down the screen's surface. Use your credit card to smooth it out as you go along. Now, not all bubbles will be completely eliminated on the first application. The trick behind this is to use your card and run it up and down the screen's surface once you've applied it. This will help push out any bubbles sitting on the edge. From there, give it a wipe down and just let it be for a week or two. You'll find that as time goes by, the minor bubbles will fade away (especially since your stylus helps push the bubbles out when you use your PPC), and you'll hopefully have a bubble-less screen protector. Hope that helps. :)

MTHall47
12-22-2004, 04:25 PM
Thanks to everyone who has replied.

I think I see two areas where I may have gone wrong.

1st I started by putting the write shield screen protector on from the bottom up, instead of the top down.

2nd Would it may be helpful to run my filter for a few hours first, in the room I am using to do this in, and to also boil some water too, in order
to make the air a little more moist??

Again, I truly appreciate all advice and suggestions.

Have a wonderful Christmas everyone.

--Mike --

Menneisyys
12-22-2004, 04:47 PM
As I suggested earlier, make sure the environment is dust-free.

What should be added is that the more humid the environment you put the screen protector on, the better, because strong humidity effectively "washes out" the dust particles from the air. Not all of them, sure, but most will go away. Put the protector on in a next to a closed-area swimming pool or in a closed bathroom where you previously made a great deal of humidity with e.g. the shower.

Kati Compton
12-22-2004, 07:10 PM
...the thin leather crotchless pantie at the bottom of the case...
Is this a value-added bundle item? Free with purchase? One size fits all?

Maybe I shouldn't have asked for the Sena case from my mother...

...poor Sven... :twisted:

Phillip Dyson
12-28-2004, 07:55 PM
Maybe I shouldn't post this.
I have a sneaking feeling that I'm going to end up feeling/looking like and idiot. :oops:

But here goes ...

I bought the WriteShield C2 pack and applied one to my PDA.
(Ruined the first one somehow. I always do. Its my fate I think.)

After applying it, my screen is completely unresponsive. I had to remove it just to use my PDA again.

Are these guys a bit to thick?
Or am I a bit to thick?

Dave Beauvais
12-28-2004, 08:30 PM
It's hard to miss since there's a little yellow tag on it, but did you remove the protective plastic film from the "up" side of the protector? I don't mean that to sound insulting or anything! ;) I did notice a very, very slight decrease in sensitivity on my hx4700's screen, but it's still extremely responsive, even to light taps.

Also make sure that no part of the protector actually goes under the edge of the display between the touchscreen and the frame around it. If that happens, the touchscreen could think it's being pressed in one spot at the edge of the screen continuously, and won't respond to taps elsewhere.

Kati Compton
12-28-2004, 08:50 PM
Maybe I shouldn't post this.
I have a sneaking feeling that I'm going to end up feeling/looking like and idiot. :oops:

But here goes ...

I bought the WriteShield C2 pack and applied one to my PDA.
(Ruined the first one somehow. I always do. Its my fate I think.)

After applying it, my screen is completely unresponsive. I had to remove it just to use my PDA again.

Are these guys a bit to thick?
Or am I a bit to thick?

Are you pressing too hard and trying to "stretch" it when applying? I got mine on okay after a lot of trouble (must have been a bad day for me too...).

Part of the problem was that I'm an idiot and didn't see the film on the front at first.

I don't have any trouble using my PDA, though on the one I applied it seems like the adhesive doesn't go all the way to the edges... I may change the protector this week if I have time.

Kati Compton
12-28-2004, 08:51 PM
It's hard to miss since there's a little yellow tag on it, but did you remove the protective plastic film from the "up" side of the protector?
:oops:

I thought it was just a tab to help me apply the protector!!!

Hmm. Sometimes that PhD doesn't really help. ;)

Phillip Dyson
12-29-2004, 12:35 AM
I. assumed that what the yellow tag was stuck to was the protective film.
I think I may share slipped it under the bezelled edge.
Perhaps that is the problem.

Jerry Raia
02-01-2005, 08:04 AM
I just ordered one of these Brando protectors. I saw one on a friends Treo and it looked quite amazing in that I could not tell there was a protector on the screen!

CTSLICK
02-02-2005, 03:59 AM
Very happy with my Martin Fields screen protector. Applied easily, wearing nicely and very clear.

Jerry Raia
02-02-2005, 04:18 AM
It's hard to miss since there's a little yellow tag on it, but did you remove the protective plastic film from the "up" side of the protector?
:oops:

I thought it was just a tab to help me apply the protector!!!

Hmm. Sometimes that PhD doesn't really help. ;)

Yeah but it looks so darn good :)

DerekAbney
02-04-2005, 12:22 AM
I use it for the protection more than anything, but mine looks good too.

JanellHolter
02-04-2005, 04:29 AM
I bought a Brando Clear myself a couple of weeks ago and I have to say that I am not too impressed. I had previously had several IPAQ's and a Dell and had used the writeshield screens loved them and they lasted over six months. I recently purchased a Toshiba e830 and decided to go with the Clear Brando and I have to say that you can see every bubble in it and speck of dust, it makes my screen look dirty, so needless to say I am in the process of ordering the writeshields once again. Please remember this is just my two cents and I do not want to upset anybody but this is what I think :?

Jerry Raia
02-04-2005, 08:34 AM
I'll report back when I get this thing. See how good it is or isn't.