View Full Version : Need Help on a Windows XP Setting

tregnier
12-19-2004, 03:25 PM
This is a dumb question (yes, there are some) for which I've forgotten the answer. I would like to get rid of the Icon label backgrounds on my Windows XP desktop, but I've forgotten how to do it.

Any Windows gurus out there that can clue me in?

Thanks... :)

Dave Beauvais
12-19-2004, 05:34 PM
System Properties (right-click My Computer, choose Properties) Advanced tab Settings button in the Performance section Put a check in the "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop

tregnier
12-19-2004, 07:30 PM
* System Properties (right-click My Computer, choose Properties)
* Advanced tab
* Settings button in the Performance section
* Put a check in the "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop

Sorry, it didn't work. BTW, all the options under "Custom" are selected in the Performance section.

Dave Beauvais
12-19-2004, 07:41 PM
Hmm... that should do it. Are you running with a 16-bit or higher color depth?

tregnier
12-19-2004, 08:24 PM
Yes, 32-bit, 1280x1024 pixels, on a Samsung 193P LCD monitor

Dave Beauvais
12-19-2004, 08:43 PM
Weird. On every system I've ever setup, enabling the drop shadow option eliminates the solid-color icon label background. Do you have any theme/skin apps running that could be affecting this? Also perhaps check for newer video drivers.

tregnier
12-19-2004, 09:10 PM
I've changed to standard Windows XP theme. I'm not running anything unusual that I'm aware of. I updated my monitor driver. Can't figure the problem out. It's a tough one!

Thanks for digging in, Dave!

Darius Wey
12-20-2004, 06:16 AM
I updated my monitor driver. Can't figure the problem out. It's a tough one!

What video card are you running? Try updating your video card drivers, as opposed to your monitor ones.

Also, going back to the Performance section, instead of going to Custom, have you tried enabling "Adjust for best appearance"?

tregnier
12-20-2004, 01:46 PM
What video card are you running? Try updating your video card drivers, as opposed to your monitor ones.

Also, going back to the Performance section, instead of going to Custom, have you tried enabling "Adjust for best appearance"?

I'm running a Radeon 9200 video card. There were no newer drivers to update.

Also, I went to the custom setting and unchecked all options....still have the icon text backgrounds while other changes appeared to have been properly made. I went to the "Adjust for best appearance" and checked it. As a result, all of the options under "Custom" reverted to checked boxes. Still have the icon text background.

What's the next step for me...a forum on the MS Windows site? What do you think?

Darius Wey
12-20-2004, 01:52 PM
I just had a random thought...

Right-click your desktop and select "Properties". This will open the "Display Properties" panel. From there, click the "Desktop" tab, then press the "Customize Desktop" button. This will open up a separate "Desktop Items" window. Now click on the "Web" tab, and I'd be assuming from here that the "Lock desktop items" box is ticked. Is it?

If so, untick it, then press "OK", and then press "Apply" to implement the changes. Does that solve anything?

tregnier
12-20-2004, 02:03 PM
and I'd be assuming from here that the "Lock desktop items" box is ticked. Is it?

If so, untick it, then press "OK", and then press "Apply" to implement the changes. Does that solve anything?

The "Lock desktop items" box was not ticked. I checked it, applied changes...no change to icon background text. I went back and unchecked it, applied it, still no change.

Darius Wey
12-20-2004, 02:18 PM
Okay, this is quite odd since none of the aforementioned suggestions have worked so far.

When did this start occurring and what software have you installed as of late?

tregnier
12-20-2004, 02:31 PM
The only thing that I can think of that could have made a difference was when I purchased a new monitor (3 weeks ago) and made some settings adjustments to move from a 19" CRT to a 19" LCD. I can't remember all the changes I made, but I adjusted some font sizes, desktop appearance (fonts), etc.

I don't recall specifically when the icon text appeared so I can "reverse engineer" the changes.

Darius Wey
12-20-2004, 03:00 PM
The only thing that I can think of that could have made a difference was when I purchased a new monitor (3 weeks ago) and made some settings adjustments to move from a 19" CRT to a 19" LCD. I can't remember all the changes I made, but I adjusted some font sizes, desktop appearance (fonts), etc.

Changing monitors wouldn't be the cause of the problem. If the only changes you made were modifications of font sizes and what not, these wouldn't really cause the problem either, and since none of the suggestions have rectified the problem so far, I'm starting to think it's third-party software related. As I asked in my previous post, you haven't installed any software or had a tinker with some other already-installed third-party software (including drivers) in the past few weeks, have you?

tregnier
12-20-2004, 03:14 PM
As I asked in my previous post, you haven't installed any software or had a tinker with some other already-installed third-party software (including drivers) in the past few weeks, have you?

I installed a web cam (Logitech). Also some HP updates (automatic), Symantec updates (automatic), Windows XP (automatic), X1 search utility (beta...but I've used it before). I'm always dinking (I know...it's the root of my problems...but I know that you'll understand. :lol: )