View Full Version : Copy document from MS Word (Win XP desktop) to Pocket Word on the X5

MTHall47
12-19-2004, 01:00 PM
Well I know it seems like my questions never run out, but this is yet one
more thing I do not seem to be getting right.

I want to take any Word document from my hard drive and send it to my Dell Axim X5.

Thanks very much.

Steven Cedrone
12-19-2004, 01:35 PM
Hi,

The reply from Darius in this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35593&highlight=) will also help you with moving word docs...

There are multiple ways in which you can do this:

(1) If you wish to download them to a storage card, and you have a storage card reader attached to your PC, simply pop the card in the reader and use the PC's file browser to copy and paste the pictures from "My Pictures" to a folder of your choosing on the storage card. Once that's done, simply pop the card back in your Pocket PC.

(2) You can do it if you have an ActiveSync connection up and running. Simply click on File > Explore on ActiveSync on your PC, and this will open a window which allows you to copy and paste picture files from My Pictures (you will have to open My Pictures of course) to the Mobile Device.

(3) If you synchronise files between your PC and Pocket PC, you can copy the picture files into the synchronised folder in My Documents (the name of the folder is usually: "ABCD My Documents", where ABCD is the name of your device). On the next synchronisation, your picture files should synchronise to your device.

Hope that helps. :)

Just replace the word "pictures" with the words "Word document"... :wink:

Steve

Sven Johannsen
12-19-2004, 06:11 PM
Thought I'd remind folks of the round-trip issue with the sync folder and office documents.

If you sync a file, Word, Excel, using the sync'd files folder, it is translated into a Pocket Word or a Pocket Excel file. That removes any of the formatting that is not supported by the Pocket programs making the file smaller. If you make ANY change in the document, that now becomes the most recent copy of the file, and when you sync again, that copy overwrites the copy in your desktop sync'd files folder. The one on your desktop now is missing all the formatting that it used to have.

You can turn off the translation, let it copy as a .doc file and Pocket Word will read that, but it does not change the fact that if you change anything the formatting is removed and the file syncs back without it.

If you copy the file to you PPC someplace other than My Documents in Main RAM, it does not change the removal of formatting, but you would have to play an active role in copying it back over your original.

Darius Wey
12-20-2004, 06:27 AM
Just replace the word "pictures" with the words "Word document"... :wink:

:rotfl:

Anyway, Sven raises some good points worth considering. This is especially so if you use a program like TextMaker and you wish to retain the original .DOC formatting that you have on your PC.

If you've ever opened a .PSW file on your PC, the formatting is ghastly.