View Full Version : THE Ultimate Utility Program for clean up, etc.

MTHall47
12-19-2004, 12:54 PM
I have MemMaid on my Axim X5 I like it ok, but I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on THE absolutely best overall utility program for the money which would do a huge array of things.

I also have Agenda Fusion which I am just learning how to use.

All comments are appreciated.

--Mike-- in West Virginia

WyattEarp
12-19-2004, 07:00 PM
I use MemMaid myself and find it to be the best utility program in its category. But there are many other utility programs for different things; so asking for The Absolute Best utility program for the money may not be exactly the correct question. Utility programs are generally broken up into categories and are all of great value depending on what you want to do.

So here some that I find best for what they do for the money: File Management: Resco Explorer 2003 (http://www.resco-net.com/explorer.asp)- includes many missing functions from the built-in File Explorer such as zip archiving, vertical viewing, and encryption just to name a few.

Formating: CNetX Flash Format (http://www.cnetx.com/format/)- format and repair removeable media (SD, CF, etc.) right on your PPC.

General: Spb Pocket Plus (http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/pocketplus/?en)- here's the missing close function that Microsoft for got that little X is for, today screen memory, battery monitor and many other utilities MS forgot to include.

Security: Sprite Backup (http://www.spritesoftware.com/products/sprite_backup_premium.html)- Backup and restore you PPC after a crash, strange memory loss, etc. (the very best IMO for peace of mind)

Now is a good time to rack up since there are a lot of Holiday sales going on.

yildi
12-25-2004, 05:44 PM
I have discovered recently that the freeware Remover has become a commercila software called SKTOOLS. The commercial version is very useful and complete (cleaning of whatever you want - temp files but also databases, etc.). It can also check and repair Flash cards. Concerning the management of the flash cards, FlashFormat is not working on my iPAQ 4700 (WM2003SE French). I was quite happy with it on my preceding W2002 device... Moreover all mys posts to the support (from the cnetx web site) has remained silent :-(

Do you have any difficulty using FlashFormat (2.61 - last version) under this OS or with this PPC?

Regards,

Murat

WyattEarp
12-26-2004, 06:13 PM
How is it not working, if it runs at all? I use an iPAQ h5555 w/WM2003 with no problems and have not tried it on a WM2003SE device yet. I do know that the development of FlashFormat has appeared to come to a hault and has been at v2.61 for over a year I believe. Try out SystemTools (http://www.softwinter.com/storagetools.html) which is essentially the same thing and has been updated for WM2003SE.

yildi
12-26-2004, 07:06 PM
Yes, when I double-click on its icon in the control panel nothing happens (no error message, nothing....). I was looking for a competitor but that would cost me again... and I would prefer to spend the money for a new software instead of buying something I am supposed to already posses :-(

It is a pity that HandandGo and Pocket Gear are continuing to sell a product that is not maintened at all anymore... I have tried to warn the future user on Pocket Gear but I cannot see my comment...

Murat

Squid
12-26-2004, 08:20 PM
Hello All,

I have been using a freeware program called Cleaner+, and the power clean program that comes with Battery Pack Pro. I guess I am wondering what it does that is so much better than these. I noticed on the MemMaid giveaway forum that they seemed to pick up the obvious areas: temp storage, and IE cache, etc. What do they do that justifies paying out the hard cash?

Regards,

Squid

rberry88
12-26-2004, 08:33 PM
Yes, when I double-click on its icon in the control panel nothing happens (no error message, nothing....). I was looking for a competitor but that would cost me again... and I would prefer to spend the money for a new software instead of buying something I am supposed to already posses :-(

It is a pity that HandandGo and Pocket Gear are continuing to sell a product that is not maintened at all anymore... I have tried to warn the future user on Pocket Gear but I cannot see my comment...

Murat

I was having the same problems on my hx4700 with this program. I requested a refund and bought Pocket Mechanic and its working great.

rberry88
--
Posted from my hx4700 ;p

WyattEarp
12-26-2004, 09:33 PM
Hello All,

I have been using a freeware program called Cleaner+, and the power clean program that comes with Battery Pack Pro. I guess I am wondering what it does that is so much better than these. I noticed on the MemMaid giveaway forum that they seemed to pick up the obvious areas: temp storage, and IE cache, etc. What do they do that justifies paying out the hard cash?

Regards,

Squid

Check out MemMaid v1.41 (http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=14279). What you listed is just the obvious. It does a whole lot more in one little app. It's a great little app to keep your PPC clean. Well worth the price.

shawnc
12-27-2004, 12:07 AM
MemMaid v1.41 (http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=14279). What you listed is just the obvious. It does a whole lot more in one little app. It's a great little app to keep your PPC clean. Well worth the price.

WOW. I just tried this. It cleans up 3 types of files, Windows Temp Files, IE Cache Files, and IE History Files. I didn't record the results, but it indicated that it cleaned up over 6MB of IE Cache Files. If this is correct (and it didn't delete any needed Avantgo files) then I've gotten my $11.99 worth after only one use.

Thanx for the tip/recommendation.

bvkeen
12-27-2004, 01:45 AM
MemMaid also allows moving some DLL files out of RAM and into Flash. It's come in very handy for me in this regard for my 4700.

WyattEarp
12-27-2004, 11:43 PM
MemMaid v1.41 (http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=14279). What you listed is just the obvious. It does a whole lot more in one little app. It's a great little app to keep your PPC clean. Well worth the price.

WOW. I just tried this. It cleans up 3 types of files, Windows Temp Files, IE Cache Files, and IE History Files. I didn't record the results, but it indicated that it cleaned up over 6MB of IE Cache Files. If this is correct (and it didn't delete any needed Avantgo files) then I've gotten my $11.99 worth after only one use.

Thanx for the tip/recommendation.

You're welcome, this is what we do here :) .
As long as Avantgo files are not checked they won't be deleted. You get full control with MemMaid which is part of what makes it so good.

terrypin
12-30-2004, 01:51 PM
I have MemMaid on my Axim X5 I like it ok, but I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on THE absolutely best overall utility program for the money which would do a huge array of things.

I also have Agenda Fusion which I am just learning how to use.

All comments are appreciated.

--Mike-- in West Virginia

Until you mentioned Agenda Fusion (which I use too), I was about to answer simply: SKTools 2.0, as I assumed you really did mean 'utilty' in its familiar sense. If you want something that includes PIM functionality (like Fusion, Pocket Informant, or the built-in PO), then I'd be surprised if such a product existed.

But sticking with general utilities, I reckon you'd be hard-pressed to beat SKTools 2.0 for value. I paid 6UKP a couple of days ago, to replace its free predecessor Remover, which had given me excellent service. SKTools is more versatile and easier to use. I found it at:
http://www.handango.com/brainstore/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=311&jid=C4CD46E6B75A2B57183X5611DB8DB298&platformId=2&productType=2&catalog=0&sectionId=0&productId=124064
which is such a horrendous URL that I've converted it to this:
http://tinyurl.com/432uq

BTW, note that searching for 'SK Tools' at Handango fails; it's 'SKTools'.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

shawnc
12-30-2004, 02:13 PM
As long as Avantgo files are not checked they won't be deleted. You get full control with MemMaid which is part of what makes it so good.

Yeah, I realized this after I posted (my initial enthusiasm got the better of me :wink: ). I can't believe how much memory this opened up for me. For a non-techie like myself, this is really a great little piece of software. I don't know what the regular price is/was, but for $12, you can't beat it.

You're welcome, this is what we do here :) .

You'll get no argument from me on that! I say it all the time, this site is the best thing going. And a large part of the reason why is because of the community. Thanx again!

AprilRyan
03-27-2005, 05:48 PM
i've had my pocket pc for a little more than a week now, and i've been downloading (and installing) trial versions of various programs like crazy. lucky for me, the first 4 programs i installed (spb pocket plus, calendar +, mortplayer and pocketbreeze) were keepers.

by chance, i saw that MemMaid was on sale in one of the online stores and decided to buy it.

while downloading the MemMaid file, i decided to install pocket informant first, and agenda fusion after (for comparison). when i attempted to uninstall pocket informant, i saw the dreaded 'uninstall incomplete' message and was informed that some files could not be uninstalled because they were in use or whatever. and then i couldn't un-select PI contacts and calendar from the start menu.

and so i decided to uninstall everything, in the hopes of cleaning my files. and i saw even more incomplete uninstall messages. Aaaargggghhh.

then i remembered MemMaid, and i ran it. and realized, after a few tries, that the reason why i couldn't un-select PI contacts and calendar from the start menu were due to undeleted shortcuts and whatever files. whew.

now my ppc is (almost) as good as new. so, count me in as a satisfied user of Memmaid.

yankeejeep
03-27-2005, 07:57 PM
Another useful part of MemMaid is the ability to reorder your start-up apps. This is useful if you suspect a conflict and require one app to load before another. You can also view and terminate running processes, check for the large RAM consumers, and, what I have found most frequently useful (aside from the standard cleanup), it can take care of items left behind after an uninstall. My experience has been that most uninstalls leave behind orphan files and registry entries.

For the money, MemMaid is a very wise investment in keeping your device running well.

Lex
03-27-2005, 11:46 PM
Sprite Backup comes with 'Space Detective' which shows memory used and free onboard and on your cards. Space Detective also cleans out 'Temp' folder, Windows 'Temp' and 'Temp. Internet Files'.

ignar
03-28-2005, 03:26 AM
Sprite Backup comes with 'Space Detective' which shows memory used and free onboard and on your cards. Space Detective also cleans out 'Temp' folder, Windows 'Temp' and 'Temp. Internet Files'.

It's an irony that Space Detective itself takes quite a bit of memory. I love Sprite Backup, but I use MemMaid for memory management.