View Full Version : AMR for Pocket PCs?

kahchong
12-18-2004, 05:33 AM
I am having a HP IPAQ hx3700 pocket pc with windows mobile SE.

When we do voice recordings on handphones, the file of the recording will be in the .amr format. I would like to know if there is any software app available that can play AMR (.amr) file format in the pocket pc.

It will be good for me to transfer and play AMR recorded files from my handphones to my pocket pc, that would be fun.

Thanks!

Kah Chong.

Darius Wey
12-18-2004, 05:41 AM
MMS Client software in the i-mate and XDAs play this, IIRC.

Platform4 Player does as well.

kahchong
12-21-2004, 04:34 AM
Thanks for recommending me the Platform4 Player that can play multiple file formats, including AMRs, 3gp, MP4 and MP3.

This software app is great.

Menneisyys
12-22-2004, 12:33 PM
Thanks for recommending me the Platform4 Player that can play multiple file formats, including AMRs, 3gp, MP4 and MP3.

It may be of great advantage to know that half of the 5MByte of the memory consumption of the app is \Windows\Platform4PocketAxc.dll, which is in the main memory. You can relocate it into an external Flash ROM card by using a reg editor. Just look for the first occurrence of 'platform4' in the registry, and change \Windows\ to \SD Card\ (or the name of your card) accordingly. Or, you can completely remove the DLL if you only need to play local AMR's/media files because AFAIK it's only used at receiving broadcasts.

I've just found this useful hack out. I'm just writing a big article on PPC-based image/video players/editors - check out the beta at http://menneisyys.freeweb.hu/PICVIEWERS , if you're interested - and this is why I've also tested this app. I was astonished at the 2.5 MByte this DLL occupies, so I at once turned to my favourite reg editor to relocate it to an external flash ROM card. I've also noticed local file playing doesn't require the DLL at all.

permutations
04-11-2005, 02:21 AM

It may be of great advantage to know that half of the 5MByte of the memory consumption of the app is \Windows\Platform4PocketAxc.dll, which is in the main memory. You can relocate it into an external Flash ROM card by using a reg editor. Just look for the first occurrence of 'platform4' in the registry, and change \Windows\ to \SD Card\ (or the name of your card) accordingly. Or, you can completely remove the DLL if you only need to play local AMR's/media files because AFAIK it's only used at receiving broadcasts.

I've just found this useful hack out. I'm just writing a big article on PPC-based image/video players/editors - check out the beta at http://menneisyys.freeweb.hu/PICVIEWERS , if you're interested - and this is why I've also tested this app. I was astonished at the 2.5 MByte this DLL occupies, so I at once turned to my favourite reg editor to relocate it to an external flash ROM card. I've also noticed local file playing doesn't require the DLL at all.

That only works if the programmer has some clue about good programming practices. I have an application that uses a huge library and a huge database, and the developer put it all - all 12MB - in main memory. There is no option for choosing a directory at installation. And the program takes up 7MB to run (no help for that).

So I went into the registry and changed everything to point to my SD card and manually moved the program. I've done this type of thing many times, but when I tried to run it, it failed - couldn't find program pieces. I wrote to the developer asking him if he'd actually hardcoded the paths in the program code rather than using the registry values, and he admitted he had. I asked him to please release a point upgrade that allows the user to select the install location, and he didn't answer.

So I've been poking around his executable with hex editors in the dim hope I'll trip over where he's hard-coded the path, but I don't know how to edit a binary without destroying it, so I think I'm hosed. I paid $100 for this program, by the way. I'll leave out the name of the program to spare the developer public humilation, though he deserves it. (There was no trial of this software - so I'm not totally at fault for buying it.)

Menneisyys
04-11-2005, 05:21 PM
So I've been poking around his executable with hex editors in the dim hope I'll trip over where he's hard-coded the path, but I don't know how to edit a binary without destroying it

With the free Hexedit ( http://www-physics.mps.ohio-state.edu/~prewett/hexedit/index.html ), you'll be able to do this, unless the author does some kind of a CRC check on his EXE file (highly unlikely - I've hacked several PPC EXE and other files with Hexedit so far - see for example - http://www.firstloox.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3198&page=5&pp=15 ), it'll work.

I've posted some examples of using Hexedit with screenshots at http://www.firstloox.org//forums/showpost.php?p=22955&postcount=78

permutations
04-11-2005, 10:10 PM
I have a hex editor - also called HexEdit, but not the one you mention. I've tried that one, too, but I like this one better:

http://www.expertcomsoft.com/

There's a freeware version, and a shareware version with more features.

I'd take a whack at patching the executable, but apparently I've shamed the author into making the fix himself. He just emailed me.

permutations
04-11-2005, 10:49 PM
The other thing is, with your example you are changing the value of a byte, but not changing the length of the file. If I were to add path information, it would change the length of the file and that would screw up the code pointers.

Menneisyys
04-12-2005, 08:28 AM
The other thing is, with your example you are changing the value of a byte, but not changing the length of the file. If I were to add path information, it would change the length of the file and that would screw up the code pointers.

Yes, you can add path information, but you can do this without messing up the internal structure pf the file (that is, making it larger) in the folloing way:

1, try to shove off as much characters from the program name/path as possible.

For example, if it refers to \Program Files\appname\somelongddlname.ddl, just rename the file to, say, 1.ddl and then, you may have the necessary space to insert a storage card path before it.

2, the same stands for path names - if it refers to \Program Files\appname\, then, yu can change this to, say, \SD Card\p\ and so on.

3, if nothing else works, you can even rename your storage cards to a much shorter name, for example, C or F. This will only cause problems for programs already installed on the given card, but not for programs that will be installed later. I can give you specific info on the reghack needed for renaming storage cards under WinCE.

damseyha
01-31-2008, 07:44 AM
you can use software platform 4 player to read file .amr

magicalmarty
01-11-2009, 11:54 PM
This app does not allow me to use other apps while it is loaded. I was hoping to enter my voice notes into my todo list as I listened to them... now searching for another player ... or maybe somebody here knows how multi-task with this program on a pocket PC I have ipaq hx2750. Thank you all.