View Full Version : hx4700 backup battery life...

hetmet
12-17-2004, 07:19 PM
Hi

I was showing a friend yesterday how big the battery is in the hx4700 compared to his 2210. I had it out for a maximum of 2 minutes as I was having trouble slotting it back into the cover.

I switched the PDA on and it booted up. All fine so far. Then a warning came up saying the backup battery was very low.

I have owned the 3630/2210/axim x30 high and now the 4700 but the other backup batteries did not go flat after about a minute.

I put the PDA on the cradle immediately and it charged the backup battery very quickly.

-------
I suppose my question is how long are they supposed to last (backup cells) I thought it was a bit longer than a couple of minutes to swap out a battery. My main battery was at about 70% at the time incase that matters.

thanks for any help!

I am vey impressed with the battery life on this model! its excellent. And the best looking ipaq ever! :wink: IMO of course!

Brad Adrian
12-17-2004, 07:33 PM
That is pretty odd, because the backup battery is supposed to give you a couple of days of data protection once the main battery is drained. I don't own the same device as you, but it shouldn't drain that quickly.

It might be a problem with the power monitor, though. If it looked as though the backup battery recharged in a matter of a few minutes, I doubt that it was ever really that low.

If I were you, I'd try an experiment that replicates what you just did. I'd do a COMPLETE backup first, and see what happens when you take out the main battery for a few minutes. If the same thing happens, I'd contact the manufacturer.

hetmet
12-17-2004, 08:23 PM
thanks for the quick response.

I will give that a try. I thought it was wierd that it seemed to charge so quickly.

bob1919a
12-17-2004, 08:57 PM
My hx 4700 has the same problem....weird. 8O

hetmet
12-17-2004, 09:41 PM
OK

rplicated the situation again. I had the main battery out for less time this time. The backup abttery went down to 75%

I put it on the cradle for the same amount of time as the battery was out for (if that makes sense) and it charged back to 100%.

Is this a software detection thing or what?

Woulda hard reset fix something like this?

I see someone else has this problem...

i am going to exercise google right now :P see if I can find anything.

hetmet
12-17-2004, 09:51 PM
http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112221&highlight=backup+battery

the link above to a brighthand discussion may help clear the issue.

Hope it works I havent used this board system before.

The only problem I find with that discussion is that I have had the battery out tons of times (I am sad, I admire it from time to time) and it only did this the last two times starting a couple of days ago. Its not like I wouldn't notice either because the battery warning comes up.

Does anyone know when they are getting a ROM upgrade for the 4700??

ctmagnus
12-18-2004, 03:20 AM
I pulled the main battery out of my 5550 for three or four hours once. That was long enough for the backup battery to drain.

hetmet
12-18-2004, 11:13 AM
15 mins is the official figure on the 4700. Strange how this problem should only just rear its head now...