View Full Version : Ode to a Fallen Hero

Jason Dunn
12-18-2004, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.beauvais1.com/archives/2004/06/05/a-fallen-hero/' target='_blank'>http://www.beauvais1.com/archives/2.../a-fallen-hero/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"I would like to ask that all Pocket PC users take a moment to silently grieve for the mortally wounded Toshiba e405 pictured below, killed in the line of duty. While diligently standing watch in its kiosk in a Columbus, Ohio Micro Center store, serving to advertise the capabilities of its brothers and sisters to passing customers, it was struck down in a brutal attack by an unknown assailant. Unable to flee from the attack due to its restraints, the valiant device was subjected to multiple forms of torture as its kiosk mates looked on in helpless agony. The touch screen was deeply gouged repeatedly by a sharp, possibly metal object, and its buttons were damaged by being pressed with far more force than they were intended to withstand. Ultimately, the mostly defenseless e405 was unable to hold out any longer, and powered down one last time..."</i><br /><br />This story is six months old, but I found it today when I was randomly clicking through <a href="http://www.beauvais1.com/">Dave's site</a>...and it got me a little choked up. Poor Pocket PC. :cry: Have you seen some extra-pathetic Pocket PCs at retail displays?

marcm
12-18-2004, 08:05 PM
That poor Pocket PC... :(
I haven't seen any beat up Pocket PCs, but I saw a Palmone Zire 72 at the local Future Shop that had it's paint stripped down... It was NAKED!!! :? :wink:

KTamas
12-18-2004, 08:17 PM
well, just a personal "experience", i accidentally broke my A620's screen (rule no.1: NEVER put your PDA with the d*mn asus case into your jeans's pocket), and it took 3 months for the service to repair it....

felixdd
12-18-2004, 09:27 PM
That poor Pocket PC... :(
I haven't seen any beat up Pocket PCs, but I saw a Palmone Zire 72 at the local Future Shop that had it's paint stripped down... It was NAKED!!! :? :wink:

That always seem to happen for the Zire72. Makes me a little suspect of the quality of that paint.

marcm
12-18-2004, 09:39 PM
That always seem to happen for the Zire72. Makes me a little suspect of the quality of that paint.

Yeah... I think I've seen a couple Zire 72s that have the paint that way... I've even seen one with the paint partially off. It makes them look cheap and ugly... 8O :wink:

Newsboy
12-18-2004, 09:53 PM
FYI - That e405 was a CompUSA display device, which leads to my question:

Does CompUSA warranty their own display devices with their replacement guaranteed service contract? If not, seems it would be a real smart idea! :lol:

Dave Beauvais
12-19-2004, 12:04 AM
FYI - That e405 was a CompUSA display device ...
That particular one was at a Micro Center store, but CompUSA does use the same kiosk.

gt24
12-19-2004, 12:45 AM
I never really saw any damaged pocket pcs, except for at a Micro Center store. Micro Center stores are really nice, pity it seems like the locals always "go to town" in one.

It was a Toshiba, same casing (so, I hope it was an e400 and not an e800!!). Somebody took a blunt object and hit it against the top of the device, breaking off the black plastic section that has "pocket pc" on it. This section was barely on the device. It looked like some more smashing was done to the top of the circuit boards. The device was permantly frozen on a mix of the today screen plus pixel snow.

All I could think of at that time was "ouch".

Newsboy
12-19-2004, 12:50 AM
What the hell possesses people to do things like this? Jealousy?

bigneeker
12-19-2004, 01:24 AM
It's those damn palm loyalists that are jealous of the superior pocket pc os. They get a kick out of this. :twisted:

marcm
12-19-2004, 01:25 AM
What the h-ll possesses people to do things like this? Jealousy?

I can't believe that people would do this even if they were jealous... You'd have to be crazy to completely destroy a piece of great technology! Damaging anyone's property (except your own) is vandalism... If something like this happens again, hopefully the culprit will be caught!

Darius Wey
12-19-2004, 04:27 AM
It's those damn palm loyalists that are jealous of the superior pocket pc os. They get a kick out of this. :twisted:

It's to make up for the mutilated Zire a few months back. ;)

Jon Westfall
12-19-2004, 06:54 AM
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28739 - I thought this looked familiar! Great story, underscores the point that we should all try to protect our faithful companions when we see them in need.

gt24
12-19-2004, 08:41 PM
I know that this is in relation to a ppc, but I have a similar story about a laptop. Walmart set up a few dummy laptops (IE, shells with a fake background for the screen and the keyboard with touchpad) and they sat for months, just fine.

Visit Walmart, and a key is missing off the keyboard. Well, I suppose it was bound to happen... a week later, a plastic shield is over the keyboard to prevent touching.

Next, some minor writing on the screen. Plastic shield goes up to protect that.

Not long after, somebody went to town on this device. Now, (this laptop is still on display, don't ask me why), 2/3rds of the keys are missing, the plastic shields are scratched (minor details there), the touchpad has been puched through by a pen (don't ask me how), and the monitor part has been bent (so that it could be accessed by a pen) and holes were punched into that as well.

I don't know why somebody would spend all that time destroying an item. I'm not too sure how they got away with it either. Regardless, it is amazing what some people do.

Ken Mattern
12-20-2004, 02:14 AM
What the h-ll possesses people to do things like this? Jealousy?

Stupidity, pure and simple.

"Against stupidity the very gods
Themselves contend in vain."

Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller

Lex
12-21-2004, 02:05 PM
You mean you're not supposed to use a Buck knife as a stylus?

Dave Beauvais
12-21-2004, 06:19 PM
You mean you're not supposed to use a Buck knife as a stylus?
Only if you use a screen protector. ;)