View Full Version : New to pocket pc's

AceRimmer
12-17-2004, 03:01 PM
In preparation for my first pocket pc ive been browsing looking for software to get for it. I've used a ppc before but not alot. Just a couple of questions about them.

Can you brake windows?
If I was to mess around with the registry(which I wont) or break something, does that mean the ppc is broke? Is it possible to reinstall windows or is kept in rom?

What does a hard/soft reset do?
Soft reset sounds like restarting a computer, is a hard reset like a fresh install of windows?

Fresh install
If you fill the ppc up with programs and it starts to run slow can you just wipe everything and start over again?

The manual probably tells you all this but still I cant wait to find out. And the best way to find out is using it, but advice from the masters could save me time and problems.

edit: Does activesync install on your desktop and then interface with the ppc?

surur
12-17-2004, 03:38 PM
In preparation for my first pocket pc ive been browsing looking for software to get for it. I've used a ppc before but not alot. Just a couple of questions about them.

Can you brake windows?
If I was to mess around with the registry(which I wont) or break something, does that mean the ppc is broke? Is it possible to reinstall windows or is kept in rom?

What does a hard/soft reset do?
Soft reset sounds like restarting a computer, is a hard reset like a fresh install of windows?

Fresh install
If you fill the ppc up with programs and it starts to run slow can you just wipe everything and start over again?

The manual probably tells you all this but still I cant wait to find out. And the best way to find out is using it, but advice from the masters could save me time and problems.

edit: Does activesync install on your desktop and then interface with the ppc?

The only way to really break a pocketpc permanently is to a)physically abuse it OR b) while doing a rom upgrade (a rare thing to do).

Otherwise a HARD reset will always reset the device to its default factory configuration (and lose all your data, accept for whats stored on your desktop, e.g contacts etc, and what you backed up). Doing a hard reset is usually impossible to do by accident, but easy if you follow the instructions. So if you have any configuration problems a hard reset will always take you back to day 1. An exception is that your Filestore in ROM will not be wiped out, but all the shortcuts and registry settings associated with it will be, unless you have a recent back-up you will have to re-install these again. Also if you let your battery run out completely it will also reset your device to its factory fresh state, so its always a good idea to back up regularly, especially with the Dell's small battery.

So to repeat, a hard reset is like re-installing windows, accept it only takes seconds to do, and leaves you with a clean sheet. Unless you really mess up you should not have to do this too often.

A SOFT reset is like restarting your computer, and you may do this if your device locks up, if it is acting sluggishly and you want to stop all running programs, or you have a funny transient configuration problem, as often happens with the bluetooth stacks. Its safe, and its rare to lose anything with a soft-reset. Some people do very few of them, and some do them 2-3 times per day.

About your last question, activesync does install on your pc. the PPC side of activesync is already installed on your pocketpc. Activesync is very important, as its your interface with Outlook. You will get it on a CD when you buy your ppc, also with a copy out Outlook 2002 if you havnt got it already.

Feel free to ask any molre questions.

Surur

yankeejeep
12-17-2004, 04:39 PM
A very good practice: always back up your registry before making any changes.

Another good practice: a regular backup schedule for your device.

While hard resets cannot usually be done by accident, you may have an unanticipated time away from power and have your battery go dead. Or, as has happened to me a couple of times, a lockup is so complete that your device will not respond to a soft reset. A recent backup can save a great deal of manual restore time. If you can, back up to card so that you can have it with you when away from your syncing desktop. I learned that the hard way.

AceRimmer
12-17-2004, 08:10 PM
Thanks for those answers. If I think of some more questions ill post em.