View Full Version : How to Compare Ppc Processors?

scoobie
12-17-2004, 09:28 AM
Hi,

I am trying to find out which Pocket PC processor is the fastest currently and how to compare or benchmark the various different brands of processors for handhelds. Eg. Samsung, Intel etc.

1. Is the Intel XScale processor the latest and fastest for Ppc?
Is PXA = XScale?

2. Can Palm OS run Adobe Reader?

3. Does Adobe Reader for Pocket Pc able to do text search and have bookmarks? How much memory required on Pocket PC ?

Please give some advise.

Regards,
Scoobie

Typhoon
12-27-2004, 02:56 AM
Hi,

I am trying to find out which Pocket PC processor is the fastest currently and how to compare or benchmark the various different brands of processors for handhelds. Eg. Samsung, Intel etc.

1. Is the Intel XScale processor the latest and fastest for Ppc?
Is PXA = XScale?

**** THAT IS CORRECT. ****

2. Can Palm OS run Adobe Reader?

**** IT SURE CAN...JUST CHECK OUT THE ADOBE WEBSITE. I HAVE USED IT BEFORE ON OLDER PALM OS PDAs ****

3. Does Adobe Reader for Pocket Pc able to do text search and have bookmarks? How much memory required on Pocket PC ?

**** YEA, IT CAN DO A TEXT SEARCH---Thank God. And have bookmarks? I am not sure what you mean there. It does SHOW the bookmarks of the PDF file if that particular PDF file does have its own bookmarks. I loaded up a simple document and the memory space took up 4.8 MB of RAM. ****

Please give some advise.

**** I WOULD ADVISE GETTING A FAST PDA, W/LONG BATTERY LIFE, AND VGA SCREEN IS A PLUS BUT NOT NECESSARY (AND ABOUT THEM MEMORY, I AM NOT SURE WHAT TO SAY, IF YOU ARE JUST READING eBooks, THEN NOT MUCH RAM IS NEEDED...JUST GET A MEMORY CARD TO STORE YOUR eBOOKS). ****

FAST PDAS:
H1945/H1940 --very nice & small PDA
H4150/H4155 --very nice & small PDA
H4350/H4355 --very nice & small PDA
LOOX 720 --very nice good sized PDA, has VGA screen, LOTS of memory, and on top of all that, an 8 hour battery life (beats almost any PDA out there in battery life)
ASUS a730 PDA --very nice good sized PDA, has a VGA screen, and okay battery life
DELL AXIM x50v PDA --same as a730 (but w/much less memory)

All current new iPAQ models
...actually I just realized that there are too many to list

By the way, I am currently selling my LOOX 720 PDA and the Dell Axim X50v PDA and a 2 GB Memory Card on eBay right now (eBay User ID: DOTFREE). They are also in the Buy & Sell forum.

**** OH YEA, A JOG DIAL BUTTON WHICH IS ON THE SIDE OF A PDA IS A MAJOR PLUS. IT ALLOWS SCROLLING UP AND DOWN AND SKIPPING PAGES AND THIS MAKES READING EBOOKS REALLY EASY. YOU SHOULD ASK ANYONE OUT THERE. THE ONLY MODELS SO FAR THAT I KNOW THAT HAVE THIS IS THE LOOX 720, (I BELIEVE) ANY TOSHIBA PDAS, AND JUST ABOUT ANY SONY CLIE (PALM OS) PDA. ****

**** ACTUALLY I THINK THAT THE LOOX 720 PDA IS YOUR BEST OPTION...BUT IF YOU WANT THE MOST COMFORTABLE TINY PDA, THEN THAT MIGHT BE THE h1945/1940/4150/4155 PDA. ****

Regards,
Scoobie