View Full Version : Remote Desktop Connection - options??

szamot
12-16-2004, 05:17 PM
I am curious to see what you guys are using as remote desktop manager software other than the included and oh so cumbersome Terminal Services Client that comes free with PPC? Also I would like to know why you are using it, or why it is better for you. Anyone, anyone - Buler?

capo
12-16-2004, 06:14 PM
I use Citrix's own ICA client. It used to be pretty clunky but recently has become much more flexible. I still find managing a remote server via my PPC too much like trying to eat steak through a straw, but in a pinch it's a possibility.

szamot
12-16-2004, 11:12 PM
That's about the extend of it. Thank you for your reply.

surur
12-16-2004, 11:33 PM
I use Citrix's own ICA client. It used to be pretty clunky but recently has become much more flexible. I still find managing a remote server via my PPC too much like trying to eat steak through a straw, but in a pinch it's a possibility.

Does this connect to the windows xp terminal server, or do you need citrix metaframe installed ?

(im aware that terminal server is in part licensed from citrix)

Surur

limit
12-18-2004, 04:22 PM
How do you connect terminal client to win2000 pro?

szamot
12-18-2004, 04:43 PM
you should be able to do it the same way as XP. Make sure that TS is running on your W2K box and just connect. I used it connect to W2K server but gave up because it was too painful.

Sven Johannsen
12-18-2004, 11:17 PM
You can't use the Terminal Server client to connect to W2K unless it is W2K Server. It requires Terminal Server running, which W2K desktop does not have. The Remote Desktop (server) capability is only in XP Pro BTW not XP Home either.

If you are looking for remote control capabilities on other OSs try searching for VNC (Virtual Network Computing). There are clients and servers for many combinations around.

szamot
12-19-2004, 12:08 AM
I thought you could download a free client from MS but I guess that goes the other way around.

T

Sven Johannsen
12-19-2004, 03:08 AM
I thought you could download a free client from MS but I guess that goes the other way around.

T

Yes, you can download a Terminal Server Client for most MS OSs, it's the server part on the PC you wish to connect to that you can't get.

limit
12-19-2004, 03:06 PM
I downloaded the terminal service client for other MS OS, but that only allows me to connect from win2000 pro to WINXP pro, is ther no way to connect to win2000pro using terminal srvice client, how do you use VPN

limit
12-19-2004, 03:13 PM
how do you use VNC ? just for verification, terminal service client can connect to win 2000 server