View Full Version : the larger the SD card the more power it uses?

gridmaster
12-16-2004, 04:38 PM
quick question....

i understand that when you have an SD card in your pocket pc it adds to power drain..... :cry:

question is: the larger memory capacity of the SD card the more power drain? :twisted:

webdaemon
12-16-2004, 06:03 PM
I've never heard this. I thought it was onloy powered when it was being accessed. The CF microdrives definately suck the power when installed though.

gridmaster
12-16-2004, 06:07 PM
thanks for the input....

yaaaah definately the CF microdrives would drain....

i know more power is drained also if you have an SD card in....

anyone know if the larger the memory on the SD card the more power will be drained.

Wiggster
12-16-2004, 09:42 PM
thanks for the input....

yaaaah definately the CF microdrives would drain....

i know more power is drained also if you have an SD card in....

anyone know if the larger the memory on the SD card the more power will be drained.

He just answered that question, you didn't really need to ask it again. It's not the size of the SD card that plays a discernable role in battery suction. If you put in an SD card, it will require a small amount of power going through it so the PDA can keep tabs on it and read from it. When you're accessing it and writing files to it, it'll take a larger chunk out of your battery life, because it takes energy to write to the card. SD uses a lot less power than CF (usually), and Microdrives are huge power suckers, because of the need to power a spinning disc.

But as far as SD cards go: you won't notice a difference in battery drain between the 16MB cards and the 1GB cards, from my personal experience.