View Full Version : The left hand... that hold the pen.

MROX
12-16-2004, 09:30 AM
Hi everybody,

As I said in another post, I was on Palm and now moving to PPC. (Thank to the thief who is stock with my Sony PEG J-22C. Haha! :jester: )
May be you don't realise, but most of you in this forum had been very helpful teaching me.
So thanks for taking time to share and thanks to Pocket PC Thoughts.

I didn't bought yet but it will probably be a ?????? VGA. But one of my concerns now is the fact that I'm left hand and I see some hard cover flipping to the left side of the ppc. Does any of you (left handed probably) had interference problem?

Tye
12-16-2004, 07:32 PM
I have an hp4705 which I like very much (it has a few quirks like every other PPC I've owned).

I had to remove the flip cover from it for the very reason you mentioned. Being left-handed I found this cover to be very difficult to use. Overall though, it has been just fine without the cover. I keep it in my pockets with the screen facing my body and have had no difficulties.

Hope that helps you in your search.

Janak Parekh
12-16-2004, 07:35 PM
I had the same problem when holding the 4705 in my right hand, but I only held it for a few minutes. Tye - I've heard that the cover can flip around to the back as well. Have you tried doing that?

Apart from the 4705, what other units have side-flip covers? The older iPAQs had flip cover packs, but those were reversible, which easily solved the problem. I've never used a aluminum case and probably wouldn't partially for that problem (although I'd presume at least some of them are reversible).

--janak

Kati Compton
12-16-2004, 07:36 PM
If you're talking about 3rd party cases, many come in both side-flip and top-flip. Top-flip works regardless of handed-ness. If you mean the built-in cover for the 4700, as previously pointed out, it is removable.

Tye
12-16-2004, 09:07 PM
I had the same problem when holding the 4705 in my right hand, but I only held it for a few minutes. Tye - I've heard that the cover can flip around to the back as well. Have you tried doing that?
--janak

Yeah, flipped it around and just couldn't get used to the feel. This is the only PPC I've owned with any type of cover and I've decided I can live without them. :)

MROX
12-17-2004, 06:28 AM
All right,

So I understand that those "flip to the left" cover are not a +, but it's not something that I should considere as a major problem either.

I feel a little better. (Even if I'm still far away of my final decision)

And for those of you who have a Hx4705, is the touch pad bad as people say?

Thanks,

Kati Compton
12-17-2004, 06:33 AM
And for those of you who have a Hx4705, is the touch pad bad as people say?
I *don't* have one, but it seems the general consensus is that if you want to play games it's not good, and if you don't play games it's anywhere from "doesn't matter" to "great".

JvanEkris
12-17-2004, 02:36 PM
I must say i'm lefthanded and started to wonder what right-handers did to HP to get punished like that. As a left-hander i can hold te Hx4700 quite easily, holding down the lid with the side of my hand while writing. The right-handed people can't do this:D

Jaap