View Full Version : What do Pocket PC Phone Users need?

jdemaria
12-15-2004, 11:58 PM
I am mobile software developer and I would like to here what Pocket PC phone users want?

I have a HP IPAQ H6315. I mean how much news and calendar things do we need? It's seems we have void for something useful and interesting to really make our investment worth more than just a cool toy.

Especially since we can take video and pics...

Jarrad D. :D

surur
12-16-2004, 12:53 AM
I used to use a XDA 2, I've moved to a Loox 720 due to a lack of features on the XDA (VGA and WIFI and 3G), but my biggest disappointment has always been what poor phones the pocketpcphones are, specifically the interface.

I think the UI of a SE phone should be copied, with large icons and Navigation using the D-pad and action key. All the phone relevant menus should be accessible from here e.g ring tones, profiles, theme, phone book etc. Basically a regular phone stylus free UI needs to be cloned. This will be especially relevant on small phone devices like the HTC Jam, which is the same size at a T610.

The other big frustration is the lack of voice dialling using bluetooth. All modern phones can do it these days, why not the best smart phones in the world? It is a real mess, and I dont understand why microsoft saw it fit to release the OS without this capability.

Lastly, the sheer amount of 3rd party software one needs to buy to get the device properly functional as a phone is staggering. We are talking poor quality voice dialling (not over bluetooth), photo contacts, per contact ring tones, GPRS monitors and call time monitors. If all these things could be integrated in one product it would actually save money even at $50 (as long as its good and customisable of course, and did not drag down the device too much)

Surur

threedaysdwn
01-04-2005, 02:30 AM
The other big frustration is the lack of voice dialling using bluetooth.

The Treo 650 can't do this either. It is something I'd like to see fixed all-around.

okanrua
01-04-2005, 07:11 AM
what i really need is not a voice dial actually. i never use it with my mobile phone which is capable. i just need a phone with what i can make regular phone calls and send sms. which also can be used for pim functions very well. maybe i can use some softwares such as microsoft money, wisbar, spb plus... not so much. lastly i might play some games but not the action or 3d games. i never watch movie from any ppc. ok i forgot to mention. i also listen to mp3 as well, but this is not impossible is it? why should i be a geek. i am not and i am gonna replace my 2210 with a pocket pc phone eddition.
HERE, MY QUESTION IS: CAN I DO THESE WITH AN I-MATE JAM. OR IS THERE ANY OTHER PPC PHONE BETTER THAN IT.

WHICH ONE IS THE BEST?

Menneisyys
01-04-2005, 09:07 AM
A decent, preferably AMR-based (so that no GSM -> other codec conversion takes place) call recording software, which fires up autmatically upon incoming/outgoing calls.

Menneisyys
01-04-2005, 09:08 AM
HERE, MY QUESTION IS: CAN I DO THESE WITH AN I-MATE JAM. OR IS THERE ANY OTHER PPC PHONE BETTER THAN IT.

WHICH ONE IS THE BEST?

Yes, you can.

Which one is the best? Hard to say. If you need Wi-Fi and Widcomm BT stack, Jam is NOT the best choice. Otherwise, it's great - for a QVGA device.

okanrua
01-04-2005, 10:20 AM
A decent, preferably AMR-based (so that no GSM -> other codec conversion takes place) call recording software, which fires up autmatically upon incoming/outgoing calls.

what do you mean.

i don't use wi fi. however i still couldn't decide. what about the i mate 2k.

which one would you prefer 2k or jam

Menneisyys
01-04-2005, 10:25 AM

what do you mean.

I want real call recording capabilities without size / length / number limitation, just like those in (newer) Sony-Ericsson budget phones, especially the t610.

i don't use wi fi. however i still couldn't decide. what about the i mate 2k.

which one would you prefer 2k or jam

For its size, the Jam. For its capabilities (if I didn't have a VGA hi-end PDA), the PDA2k.

okanrua
01-04-2005, 10:35 AM
ok u r chosing 2k then. but what if you were me. i mean u c what i am gonna use it for. i might be boring but i don't wanna spend that much money for an item that i won't like. pls help me

Menneisyys
01-04-2005, 10:37 AM
ok u r chosing 2k then. but what if you were me. i mean u c what i am gonna use it for. i might be boring but i don't wanna spend that much money for an item that i won't like. pls help me

For PIM/light PDA work, Jam is perfect. It's just that you may later find its capabilities far too limited, as fas as its lousy (Microsoft) BT stack is concerned. E.g., you can't use any decent BT folding keyboard with it...