View Full Version : Recomend PDA to buy Gfriend for Xmas...

hrbngr
12-14-2004, 11:46 PM
hello,

i have researched many different PDAs over the last several days in posts here and off of reviews at pdareview.spot w/out being able to determine what would be a good PDA for my girlfriend for Xmas.

I owned an iPaq 2215 for a short while last year and I liked it a lot, but i was mainly using it for games so I returned it--Now, she is more organized, and does to do lists, calendars, etc., so she would be able to more fully utilize one than I.

I would like to find her a PDA under $300, as I can always spring for a nice VGA model next year if she really starts using it. Wi-Fi would be nice too, but beyond that I am having a hard time determiine what the best value, bang for the buck PDAs are. Obviously the Dell models are a pretty good value, and the iPaqs are a little more than i want to spend for now--do any other manufacturers stand out?

Ripper014
12-14-2004, 11:53 PM
The model that would stand out would be a Hp1940 from Hp's last line... it is small and elegant... but it does not have Wifi...

The other option is the Dell x30 I have not seen one... but the specs seem nice... and the price I believe is in your range...

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/axim_x30_high?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

As a side note... the price of the Dell x50V has been dropping and I believe you can find it for under $400us now...

So for a few bobbles more...

christak
12-15-2004, 01:28 AM
HP4150 is a good one for the ladies -- two in my office have them... I feel that having a smaller PPC is really important to them...

Agree with the Dell recommendations too -- the x30 high is about $280 now and the x50v is indeed sub-$400 shipped (including tax)...

8)

isilver
12-15-2004, 05:44 AM
The ladies will love this one. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/toys/B00005Y7DF/qid%3D1103085773/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-6161073-9744037 . And it's available right from toys r' us.

Kati Compton
12-15-2004, 07:01 AM
:razz:

Darius Wey
12-15-2004, 07:09 AM
The ladies will love this one. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/toys/B00005Y7DF/qid%3D1103085773/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-6161073-9744037 . And it's available right from toys r' us.

I think tech enthusiasts should be offended that they managed to tag that item as a Pocket PC as well. :bawl: :lol:

Ripper014
12-15-2004, 07:47 AM
You mean it isn't...??? I thought it was the latest Hp offering... seems to be the direction they are moving...

hrbngr
12-15-2004, 02:57 PM
isilver,

nice find... :roll:

however, if i get that for my g'friend...I'll be sleeping on permanent lumps of coal!!!

Is Ebay the best place to find 1940? or maybe 4150? I would probably have to lean towards the 4150 due to 1940 not having built in wireless. that way she doesn't always have to borrow my work laptop to sit in bed and check email... *grin*

there seem to be quite a few new, powerful pdas, but not so many great value ones available currently.

finally, would the Dell still be a good option if I have to buy it before Xmas...and get it delivered in time?

Darius Wey
12-15-2004, 03:05 PM
Is Ebay the best place to find 1940? or maybe 4150? I would probably have to lean towards the 4150 due to 1940 not having built in wireless. that way she doesn't always have to borrow my work laptop to sit in bed and check email... *grin*

You might want to have a look at PPCT PriceGrabber (http://pocketpcthoughts.pricegrabber.com/search_gen.php/form_keyword=Pocket%2520PC/form_page_id=12/topcat_id=1/) as well.

christak
12-15-2004, 04:22 PM
You mean it isn't...??? I thought it was the latest Hp offering... seems to be the direction they are moving...

Agreed!!
8)

christak
12-15-2004, 04:32 PM

Is Ebay the best place to find 1940? or maybe 4150? I would probably have to lean towards the 4150 due to 1940 not having built in wireless.

finally, would the Dell still be a good option if I have to buy it before Xmas...and get it delivered in time?

Don't know about where to get the 4150 now, might try...

http://h71016.www7.hp.com/html/hpremarketing/daily.html?c=HPSMBCtr_buspurchase&n=D_I_DR_X_T_x_GenericNVP&t=ad&r=HP_SMBCtr_O&jumpid=re_R295_store/buspurchase-refurbished/all/price-list

These are refurbs, but carry a full HP warranty (both the ladies I mentioned above bought here... 4150's looked brand new with all packaging etc....)

I'd strongly consider the Dell -- probably would still make it -- but you better hurry no matter what you choose... 8)

hrbngr
12-15-2004, 04:44 PM
Darius,

might you have any specific model recommendations? I would especially be interested in slightly smaller, lighter models as well as ones that have proven to be very reliable and durable.

hrbngr
12-15-2004, 05:05 PM
Christak,

thanks for the link, i just checked the prices on the 4150s --they were in the vicinty of $320...ouch. dude, i may have just got a dell...sigh.

*edit* i may not get a dell, it looks to be very tough to get one in by Christmas as of now. also, might anyone care to venture an opinion of a x50Mid vs x30H?

christak
12-15-2004, 08:22 PM
Compare yourself...

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/pda?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

I'd go x50 -- larger ROM plus CF... but a bit heavier.

Get a coupon for 25% off...

http://www.mrp.v26.com/dellfcoupons/

http://www.aximsite.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Darius Wey
12-16-2004, 05:21 AM
Darius,

might you have any specific model recommendations? I would especially be interested in slightly smaller, lighter models as well as ones that have proven to be very reliable and durable.

If you're not concerned with having the biggest and best devices out there (and that includes the WM2003SE OS), then the h1940 or h4150 are great models. Both are small and light, and both are equipped with Bluetooth. The h4150 takes it a step further in that it includes integrated Wi-Fi as well, which is a great thing to have in today's wireless world.

Ultimately, it all comes down to what your budget is. I'd also have a look at the Dell X30 (High). It's got a fast processor, Wi-Fi, BT, WM2003SE and WMP10 Mobile. The only thing it lacks is a VGA screen and a CF slot, but it's still a beast of a device nonetheless. That device is relatively affordable these days. For what you get, it's cheaper than forking out the extra money to purchase something in the iPAQ rx3000 range.

Now if your budget is large, you could consider a VGA device: Toshiba E800 (a little aging, but upgradeable to WM2003SE), Toshiba E830, Fujitsu-Siemens Loox 720, Asus MyPal A730W, HP iPAQ hx4700, Dell Axim X50v. Now, none of these units are as small or as light as the h1940 or h4150, but they're certainly powerful devices worth considering if you can afford it.

Anyway, if it all comes down to something that's light, small and does the job, as well as being on a limited budget, the h1940 or h4150 units are great. But if you can afford it, have a look at the X30 (High). If I was in that case scenario, I'd probably opt for the X30 (High). But my next device will definitely be one with a VGA screen. ;)

hrbngr
12-16-2004, 06:20 PM
Darius-

I am leaning towards a Dell x50v, due to the nice screen and the cheap price. I don't mind getting an extended battery from Mugen later, but I am unable to determine if the battery life on the Dell is worse than HP or Asus/Loox, etc.

I guess they could only be compared if they had a identical size battery in terms fo maH, right? or are there tests that can determine how good the power mgmt really is?

Kati Compton
12-16-2004, 07:42 PM
Darius-

I am leaning towards a Dell x50v, due to the nice screen and the cheap price. I don't mind getting an extended battery from Mugen later, but I am unable to determine if the battery life on the Dell is worse than HP or Asus/Loox, etc.

I guess they could only be compared if they had a identical size battery in terms fo maH, right? or are there tests that can determine how good the power mgmt really is?
I think it's a pretty safe bet that the battery life on the Dell is worse than the others. Though it might tie with the Asus 730 (not the wireless one that should have a bigger battery when it comes out) with a wireless card. It's the wireless that really drains it. I've not used wireless a lot (tied to computers at home and work!), but I'd guess I get 2-2.5 hours with wireless on the Dell.

I do have the extended battery, and for non-wireless tasks (the majority of what I do), I'm very happy with the extended battery. It makes the device thicker, but it doesn't actually *feel* thicker. It's more that it's thicker to look at or to put in a purse/case/whatever.

The regular battery is still okay if you're not using it constantly, and you're not using WiFi.

hrbngr
12-16-2004, 09:34 PM
Kati,

I guess my question is this then, If the iPAQ 4700 and Dell x50v both had the same battery size and wi-fi turned, would the 4700 still last longer or would their battery life be very similar??--assuming backlight is at same relative level on both units.

If so, I could either buy the extended battery from Dell or from Mugen though that would be a factor when comparing it to the iPAQ price.

Ripper014
12-17-2004, 12:55 AM
I believe the size of the battery for the Asus a730W will not change... 1100mAh... but they are offering a second battery and usb cable free at this time. Note though that there is no way to charge the second battery. I believe it can only be charged through the unit. If I am mistaken maybe someone would correct me.

The Loox 720 has a 1640mAh battery standard... and from those I talk too.. this unit is lighter than the Dell x50V... not sure how they did this... since I thought most of the weight in a PPC was in the battery.

The biggest battery belongs to the Hx4700... but some of the life is sucked up by the faster processor...

Here is a breakdown for you of the different VGA devices...

http://www.vgapocketpc.com/vga-pocket-pc-comparison.php

Kati Compton
12-17-2004, 03:04 AM
OK - maybe the Asus info has changed. Originally I thought the wireless version was going to come with a bigger battery.

As for the question of which would last longer if they had the same battery - that's hard to say, given that they don't, and so it can't be tested. ;)

But yes, their features would contribute to battery drain in much the same way, most likely. VGA, 624MHz, and Wifi are all big battery-drainers, and both units have them.

Kati Compton
12-17-2004, 03:06 AM
I believe the size of the battery for the Asus a730W will not change... 1100mAh... but they are offering a second battery and usb cable free at this time. Note though that there is no way to charge the second battery. I believe it can only be charged through the unit. If I am mistaken maybe someone would correct me.

I don't know about the Asus. The Dell has a cradle that has a slot to charge the extra battery, though.

Ripper014
12-17-2004, 03:55 AM
As does the cradle for the Hp2200... but I do not believe it exist on the Asus cradle...

Darius Wey
12-17-2004, 04:02 AM
Darius-

You can ask 50 people here and you'll get 50 very different responses. :lol: Pesronally, I like the X50v and with an extended battery, I don't think it'd be that bad at all. Comparing it with other VGA devices (the Loox 720, Toshiba e830, iPAQ hx4700, MyPal A730W), I still prefer the X50v. Other people have their own opinions. Some prefer the Asus, some prefer the Loox, while others prefer the Toshiba. The reasoning behind my choice is the fact that the Dell is cheaper (which is suitable if you're on a tight budget), and I'm liking the fact that it has its own dedicated graphics accelerator. I like the Loox for its USB Host. But quite frankly, you can't get the best of both worlds. If you purchase the X50v, I don't think you'll be angry over your choice. It's a powerful PDA to say the least and delivers great performance across the scale.