View Full Version : Overall, which handheld platform feels faster to you? Pocket PC or Palm?

Phoenix
12-13-2004, 07:02 PM
Overall, when navigating through the OS and performing tasks, which platform do you find offers faster performance? Pocket PC or Palm?

Keep in mind, that I'm aware that there are differences in processor speeds, and that performance can also be affected by what kind of software a person is running, etc. I'm not trying to take every possible scenario into specific consideration here. I'm running this poll simply because I'm curious about what all of you currently think about speed in regards to both platforms, and I'm shooting for the "general instinct/feel" you all have about it. Some people think that generally speaking, Palms feel fast, whereas Pocket PCs feel more on the sluggish side. And so I'm curious as to whether or not this is a common belief, or whether people think the opposite is true.

What has your experience with both platforms/handhelds led you to believe?

Of course, feel free to add your insights. :D

emuelle1
12-13-2004, 07:09 PM
Pocket PC, for many reasons, but specifically for the Windows integration and the capabilities. Palm is incredibly proprietary and it seems like they're stuck in 1995. They'd rather add RAM to the Zire than produce a cutting edge product. I think that, like Mac, Palm works with a nich market that I'm not part of. What they do, they do well, but what they don't do, you're sucking.

I'm not saying that Pocket PC is perfect, but for now that's where the action is at. It's based on a familiar and mostly universal interface and a lot of vendors are writing software and producing accessories for it.

Just my two cents.

Jason Dunn
12-13-2004, 07:26 PM
In terms of sheer speed, the Palm platform seems to be faster - when I was using a Zire 71 earlier this year, it was very, very fast. But remember, so was DOS! It's very easy to be super fast when you're only loading one thing at a time. Palm applications also tend to be physically smaller in terms of KB, so that allows them to load faster as well. I'm not sure how this has changed with the move to 100% Flash ROM in the new Palm.

ignar
12-13-2004, 09:29 PM
My response is like "Are you kidding?" In terms of speed, PocketPC cannot compete PalmOS. On PalmOS, most of stuff are instant. Either it works right away or it crashes. :)

Darius Wey
12-14-2004, 03:32 AM
The Palm OS is somewhat simplified to what the Pocket PC can do these days. Much like Jason's statement about DOS. Compare DOS and Windows and you will find that while the former is faster, the latter allows you to accomplish more in a more simplified and user-friendly way. So going back to the Palm vs. Pocket PC thing, while Palm may be faster, I'd still prefer to stick with the Pocket PC as it easily has the edge if you want to perform a lot of advanced functions that the Palm would otherwise be unable to handle.

JustinGTP
12-14-2004, 05:23 AM
I was looking at a Toshiba E830 and loading the "Setting" screen, it was slow and loaded horizontally (the screen).

Palm is relatively fast, but I don't know how many programs it had on it. I find my 2215 Ipaq to be speedy and I have a ton of junk on it!

-Justin.

ipaq_wannabe
12-15-2004, 11:16 AM
My response is like "Are you kidding?" In terms of speed, PocketPC cannot compete PalmOS. On PalmOS, most of stuff are instant. Either it works right away or it crashes. :)

:mrgreen:

-@PIE@Loox

ipaq_wannabe
12-15-2004, 11:21 AM
for me, the Palm seems/feels to be much faster than a PocketPC - and this is because of the more simplified architecture (file system, memory management, almost no multi-tasking, etc.) as compared to Windows Mobile... WM is, sad to say, but true - just like its bigger brother, just bloat...

however, with the improvements made on it through the years - i think i would also have to say that i am more productive on my PPC than on my Palm

-@PIE@Loox