View Full Version : Building a VGA Pocket PC Phone

B
12-12-2004, 04:06 AM
I've been waiting for my ideal converged device (VGA, Phone, BT, WiFi - bonuses of keyboard/camera) for a long time, but this device doesn't exist yet and probably won't exist for a while (when?!?!).

I was about to settle for a Cingular/Siemens SX66, but had a brain storm that probably needs to be shot down first.

What if I got a Dell X50v (with the big battery) and stuck in a phone card? How integrated/useable would that solution be? Would it be too big/heavy/awckward? What would the battery life be like? Could this franken-VGA-PPC-phone be the converged device I want?

With the phone card in place - could I add an SD Camera? I like the idea of a detachable camera because you are able to keep it continuously mounted and remove it for those times when they are prohibited. (My fantasy converged device would be designed with an integrated - yet removable - camera).

How much of a beast would this combo be? People's thoughts?

Janak Parekh
12-12-2004, 07:48 AM
What if I got a Dell X50v (with the big battery) and stuck in a phone card? How integrated/useable would that solution be? Would it be too big/heavy/awckward? What would the battery life be like? Could this franken-VGA-PPC-phone be the converged device I want?
The real problem with a solution like this is idling, as far as I can tell. Most non-Phone Pocket PCs cut off power to the CF card when they're turned off, as opposed to Pocket PC Phones, which have a separate cell chipset which can "wake" the Pocket PC when appropriate. This would result in diminished battery life.

The other problem is that you have to use a wired headset that connects to the CF card.

In short, I've heard some people with decent results, but only for light phone use and/or data. Have you thought about carrying a BT phone instead if you really want VGA?

With the phone card in place - could I add an SD Camera?
As long as the bulk of the card doesn't get in the way, sure.

--janak

Darius Wey
12-12-2004, 08:02 AM
With the phone card in place - could I add an SD Camera?
As long as the bulk of the card doesn't get in the way, sure.

Also, you should remember that the more accessories you attach to your device, the more battery drain you will get. So for the purposes of using it as a phone, it may not be the best of all options.

Dreamer
12-12-2004, 12:10 PM
B wrote:
I've been waiting for my ideal converged device (VGA, Phone, BT, WiFi - bonuses of keyboard/camera) for a long time, but this device doesn't exist yet and probably won't exist for a while (when?!?!).
That's my dream too. The VGA would be fine for GPS applications. -> An integrated, high sensitive GPS receiver (Sirf Star III?) would make a perfect device. I use the phone not so often, so I don't like to carry an additional GSM phone.

Because my dreams ar not (yet) true, I'm thinking about an compromise:
- MDA III (Phone, BT, WiFi, keyboard, with or without camera, but NO VGA :( )
- BT GPS mouse

Who has an better idea?

Fishie
12-12-2004, 04:31 PM
I dont know about the Dellīs but the Toshiba e8xx as well as my Sigmarion3 have an option to keep suplying the CF card with power even when the device is turned off.

Janak Parekh
12-12-2004, 08:12 PM
I dont know about the Dellīs but the Toshiba e8xx as well as my Sigmarion3 have an option to keep suplying the CF card with power even when the device is turned off.
Interesting - it's possible others would too. However, does the CF card have the ability to wake up the Pocket PC on an incoming call?

--janak

B
12-12-2004, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the replies. I never even considered the idling problem, but if the Toshiba could keep the phone on and wakeup the Pocket PC on an incoming call then that would seem ideal.

But what's this about needing a wired headset for the phone? I assumed if the Pocket PC had BT I would be able to use a BT wireless headphone to make and recieve voice calls. Would this not be the case?

B
12-13-2004, 12:19 AM
In short, I've heard some people with decent results, but only for light phone use and/or data. Have you thought about carrying a BT phone instead if you really want VGA?

I'm starting to consider that, but I'm a light phone user and have been dreaming of an integrated solution for years.

One disadvantage to the dual device scenario in my opinion, is the separation of function and duplication of data. I want all my contacts and their info in one place. Also, I don't want to distinguish between communication mechanisms (voice, MMS, email, IMs). When a person calls I want to see their picture and have ready access to all their related information.

I am not familiar with pairing phone and pda, but that solution might prove the best if the phone was very small/simple and could be controlled from the PPC. I.E. - the phone always stays in the pocket and the PDA is used to answer/place/keep track of calls using a wireless headset. But in that case I would imagine the battery life of the PDA would still be an issue.

I don't know any people that make use of PocketPCs Phones (or PocketPC and phones) so all the comments from those of you in the know are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Janak Parekh
12-13-2004, 01:12 AM
One disadvantage to the dual device scenario in my opinion, is the separation of function and duplication of data.
Very true. I won't go back to the non-syncable era of phones.

I am not familiar with pairing phone and pda, but that solution might prove the best if the phone was very small/simple and could be controlled from the PPC. I.E. - the phone always stays in the pocket and the PDA is used to answer/place/keep track of calls using a wireless headset. But in that case I would imagine the battery life of the PDA would still be an issue.
You can, within limitations. There are various BT-based tools you can use, but the integration certainly doesn't quite match that of a Pocket PC Phone.

--janak

Fishie
12-13-2004, 05:24 AM
Interesting - it's possible others would too. However, does the CF card have the ability to wake up the Pocket PC on an incoming call?

--janak

I dont know, never used it but I would asume so.

Bill Harrison
12-13-2004, 04:00 PM
Well, I have done something of the same thing, however using VOIP. The plus is that its very inexpensive (9.99 per month unlimited in state calling). The negative is that you must have a wifi connection to make it work. I have wifi at almost every location I am at for more than 10-15 minutes in a given day. Wifi at home, wifi at work, wifi at the gym (awesome new gym, has wifi, nothing like streaming some tunes to the tosh while working out, makes an IPOD look positively antique :P), and tons of access points throughout the city.

You can make and recieve calls using the built in wifi if you have it, or an add on card. Callers can call using a landline, and you can call landlines. Works nicely, and will only get better as wifi coverage grows (I have recommended inexpensive 802.11b wifi routers to everyone I know, they are sub 10$ alot of the time these days, why not help make a ubiquitous network!)

But, long story short, I have a perfectly useable phone without the negatives of the CF route, and a full VGA device. The CF phone adapters are expensive, the data access too pricey, etc for me. I know this won't replace a real phone, but with the price for pay as you go phones, tossing one of those in the glovebox covers any non wifi calls i have to make, which are almost none as long as im in town.

Thanks

Bill

Phillip Dyson
12-13-2004, 08:47 PM

Where is the Toshiba option located?

Phillip Dyson
12-13-2004, 08:57 PM

I used to own a GPRS phone card but had to send it back because that particular model could not handle the T-Mobile 1900 Band. I didn't really use it much as a phone. I just got jealous of the Phone Editions' always on data connection.

I'm still contemplating getting a new one and popping a SIM card into it with a a Data Only plan.

The bluetooth tethering is okay. But sometimes I wish I could just whip out my PDA and start surfing, or downloading, or keep my RSS reader on timed download. Without having to turn on the bluetooth, wait for the dial-up. Then hope I'm not missing any calls.

Of course I could add voice to it and then I would have two lines. But thats not as important.