View Full Version : 4155 and linksys WRT54gs WEP security problem - unable to connect

dweir
12-11-2004, 07:30 PM
I just purchased the new linksys router. WRT54GS The router is set for mixed (both B & G) devices. I am able to connect to the network and internet using either my laptop or ipaq 4155 when security is disabled.

If I enable wep security, either 64 or 128 bit, I am able to connect with the laptop after adding the wep key, but unable to connect with the ipaq. I am using pocket WINc on the 4155, it sees the network SSID, and it asks me to enter the network key. I specify hex, either the 64 or the 128 bit key option, put in the same 64 or 128 bit key as used successfully with the laptop, but the 4155 wll not connect. I have reentered the key numerous times, both upper and lower case for the letters, but still with no success. If I disable wep security and save the changes on the router, the 4155 connects just fine.

I have a different wireless router at work (Ameritech) and have enabled 64 bit wep encryption, and successfully connect the 4155 at work.

Has anyone else used a 4155 with this wireless router and had a problem with WEP security?

Paragon
12-11-2004, 09:22 PM
I have an h4150 and a Linksys WRT54G router and I am able to use WEP. I wish I could help you with your problem, but at least I can confirm it works.

Dave

dweir
12-13-2004, 06:08 PM
What ROM version are you using? I have 1.0 and have downloaded the more recent ROM for HP, but have not installed it as yet. Everything has been working fine up until now, so I hesitated to do the rom upgrade (and the necessary program reinstalls) until I had a reason to do so.

Paragon
12-13-2004, 07:27 PM
Yup! I'm using the original 1.0 ROM as well....I guess I never got around to updating this devoice. :)

Dave

dweir
12-14-2004, 02:00 AM
I did the ROM upgrade this afternoon and now can connect using WPA encryption security with the linksys.

Of course, the reinstall of programs is not going perfectly smoothly (microsoft reader won't properly activate, etc) but I hope to work through those problems yet tonight.

Paragon
12-14-2004, 02:12 AM
I did the ROM upgrade this afternoon and now can connect using WPA encryption security with the linksys.

Of course, the reinstall of programs is not going perfectly smoothly (microsoft reader won't properly activate, etc) but I hope to work through those problems yet tonight.

With a lick of sense I would have told you to do that at the beginning....my bad.