View Full Version : What do you read?

buss
12-11-2004, 08:50 AM
Back in 1984 I got my first computer, a Commodore 64 and not only had a lot of fun, but also learned very much. One of my prime sources of education was a great publication called "Compute Gazette." This mag taught me programming, special little tweaks about the computer, and much more.

My question is this, what do other PPC users read to learn about these great devices? The only thing that I have found is a periodical called "Pocket PC" which is really nothing more that advertisments and an endless series of glowing reviews (do not think anyone wants to upset a potential advertising client).

Would like to know the in's and out's in simple terms, how make the most out of owning a PPC (was able to use C-64 for over 8 years), what others are doing, how to write simple programs etc.

Anyone have any comments?

Ron

Darius Wey
12-11-2004, 09:27 AM
Pocket PC Magazine (http://www.pocketpcmag.com/) may be of interest to you. They frequently release magazines with tips and tricks, guides, and whatnot - perfect for new users. You can sign up for a free e-issue here (http://www.pocketpcmag.com/_top/free.asp). Otherwise, Pocket PC Thoughts always makes for great reading. We have forums to cater for everybody's needs. If you're after information on programming, for example, the Developer forum may be of interest. Browse around - these forums have a lot to offer. :mrgreen:

bigkingfun
12-11-2004, 06:58 PM
Personally, I find this site to be the best resource I've found for the PPC. Every once in a while I pick up a copy of Pocket PC Magazine, hoping there will be something interesting, but 99.9% of the time it is all information I read here a month or more before.

There is a British magazine that I sometimes find on the shelf at my local bookstore - I think it's called PDA Essentials - that covers both Palm and PPC. They have tutorials on various topics in each issue and every so often there will be one that is worth picking up.

I remember Compute's Gazette well. I spent many hours entering endless lists of numbers into a program called MLX or MLM or something like that. For a real walk down memory lane, try a C64 emulator (http://www.clickgamer.com/moreinfo.htm?pid=4)on your PPC. I get a kick out of just seeing that blue startup screen again after all these years.

capo
12-11-2004, 07:41 PM
... and Run, and Ahoy... yes ideed, memory lane here. I didn't know what I was doing but I remember spending a lot of time 'poke'ing random memory addresses to see what might happen...
I've still got my old C64's, 1541 drives and a bunch of pieces and parts somewhere. Hmmm. If only I could get the face of ET or the virgin Mary to somehow appear on the plastic cases....

szamot
12-11-2004, 10:25 PM
Well if it is in the print it most likely is already old or just a speculation at best. I have always relied on the online news here and there to get the best ideas as to what is coming down the line. Of course not everthing you read in print or on line is true but it is far easier to get your news in digital form.