View Full Version : NEW MEMBER

JIMMY CONNELLY
12-10-2004, 04:45 PM
I am a new member and I need some help. I want a PDA that has the following;

Bluetooth, Internet, Compatible with MAC, Keyboard.

What do you recommend?

rhmorrison
12-10-2004, 06:16 PM
What do you recommend?

As far as the PDA you need to specify a little more exactly, for example, WHAT KIND of keyboard do you want. There are PDA's with keyboards built-in, there are snap on small keyboards, AND there are almost full sized keyboards (hardwired, infrared, and bluetooth) from Targus, Think Outside, and a number of other companies.

yankeejeep
12-10-2004, 08:01 PM
You will find that Bluetooth is a fairly common built-in feature in the current crop of PPCs. Any that have it will clearly state this in their specs. If you find a device you like that doesn't have it, Bluetooth is fairly easy to add with an expansion card that goes into the memory slot (you will need to find out if the device supports CF or SD card form).

As noted above, you need to more specific about the keyboard form you want. You will find some models with a built-in thumb-board and for others, a snap-on thumb-board can be purchased. You also will find choices for either Bluetooth or infrared keyboards that are smaller than a standard desktop keyboard but large enough for all but the biggest fingers.

All PPC devices will have Pocket Internet Explorer and the ability to connect to an ISP. You need to provide the connection, whether it is to a wireless access point using wifi or a land line using a modem (either can be added to a device that doesn't have them by SD or CF expansion cards, depending on the type of card your device supports). Or, there is the option of getting a Windows Mobile Phone Edition device (not to be confused with a SmartPhone). WMPE is basically a PPC with cell functionality added and you would usually buy one from a wireless provider. WMPE devices provide internet access over their cell service and this will be according to your service plan.

No PPC device is going to include software that will connect to a Mac; ActiveSync is a Windows program. You will want to investigate Mac sync options (such as Missing Sync) that can be purchased and do allow syncing between a Mac and a PPC device.