View Full Version : No External Sound from my 4150 - Any Idea's?

shawnc
12-10-2004, 12:40 PM
About 2 weeks ago I turned the volume off on my ipaq by using the little speaker icon that appears in the tray at the top of my screen. It's a toggle switch, one tap displays a volume control with an Off/On option. I've used this many times with no problems.......however, this time something appears to have gone awry.

My alarms no longer ring (a fairly significant shortcoming in a PDA). They display, but don't ring. Also, none of my music is audible through the external speaker. When I have headphones on, everything is fine. I have checked Start/Settings/Sounds & Notifications as well as Start/Settings/Audio with no luck.

It doesn't seem to be broken though that is a possibility. I never heard any cracking or static or any indication that the speaker was on it's way out. I'm just wondering if there is some sort of setting I inadvertently triggered.

Any help/suggestions are appreciated,

Thanx

Darius Wey
12-10-2004, 01:17 PM
Try connecting a set of headphones and disconnecting them again. Your Pocket PC may still think a set of headphones are connected. Alternatively, try soft-resetting your Pocket PC.

shawnc
12-10-2004, 01:35 PM
Thanx Darius but no-go. Tried both suggestions without any success. Anyone else????

Darius Wey
12-10-2004, 01:37 PM
I don't mean to beat the bush on this one, but what "audio" applications do you have installed on your device?

Steven Cedrone
12-10-2004, 01:46 PM
Try connecting a set of headphones and disconnecting them again.

Listen to the Lego! :wink:

Try this again, and do it a bunch of times. The cut off switch for your speaker may be stuck...

Steve

shawnc
12-10-2004, 06:39 PM
I don't mean to beat the bush on this one, but what "audio" applications do you have installed on your device?

No no, not at all. If you're willing to help I can certainly answer questions, especially the easy ones :wink: . I don't have any audio applications that I'm aware of. I have not installed any 3rd party app's for music. Hope that helps. In the meantime, I'll keep plugging my headphones in and removing them. It's pretty amazing to spend $400-$500 for a PDA and have to deal with plugging in and removing headphones to get the darn thing to work :evil: .

shawnc
12-10-2004, 07:43 PM
Try connecting a set of headphones and disconnecting them again.

Listen to the Lego! :wink:

Try this again, and do it a bunch of times. The cut off switch for your speaker may be stuck...

Steve

I can't believe this actually worked! Talk about your high-tech solutions :wink: . Thanx Steve and Darius, I really appreciate it.

Darius Wey
12-11-2004, 04:26 AM
I can't believe this actually worked! Talk about your high-tech solutions :wink: . Thanx Steve and Darius, I really appreciate it.

No problem. Glad to see it worked. Usually the magical number for inserting and removing the headphones is 12. Well, not really, but it gives it plenty of chances to reconfigure itself. :mrgreen:

shawnc
12-11-2004, 04:58 PM

No problem. Glad to see it worked. Usually the magical number for inserting and removing the headphones is 12. Well, not really, but it gives it plenty of chances to reconfigure itself. :mrgreen:

Thats sounds about right. The funny thing is I would have never gotten it to work had it not been a slow day at work. I had already tried this once based on your initial suggestion with no success. Then Steve posted indicating that this needed to be performed multiple times. I figured, what the heck, I'll try a few more times. Lo and behold, it worked.

Many of us criticize MS (rightfully so) for some issues we have with our trusty toys. This just goes to show that quality control problems are not limited to MS. From what I gather, HP is one of the better vendors in terms of quality and for anyone to have to perform a series of inserts-removes with a set of headphones on a $500 PDA is just insanse in my opinion. But no more so than having to purchase a 3rd-party app to get alarms to sound, or to........oh, never mind.

Thanx again guys.

Steven Cedrone
12-11-2004, 07:01 PM
Glad to see that it worked! Oh, and I believe the magic number is 10! :wink:

Steve