View Full Version : differences between the e830 and the e400?

uber0
12-10-2004, 02:46 AM
Hi, i'm kind of new at this sorry. I was wondering what the difference between these two PPCs are? I've been debating over which one to get... or if i should go with some other brand? any recommendations? Thanks.

Kati Compton
12-10-2004, 03:44 AM
The 830 is more "high power". For example, it has a 480x640 resolution whereas the 400 has 240x320. I don't know if both have bluetooth, etc. But the 830 is a level up from the 400, and therefore will also be more expensive.

What are your needs, and how much is price a concern?

uber0
12-10-2004, 05:55 AM
thank you, i see... well i just looking for something with wifi, expandable memory, a good enough resolution, and a good organizer.

Ripper014
12-10-2004, 11:09 AM
thank you, i see... well i just looking for something with wifi, expandable memory, a good enough resolution, and a good organizer.

Most of the time it comes down to what you are willing to spend. In the case of the Toshiba it might depend where you live. The only place that you can get a Toshiba easily in North America is in Canada. And for the e830 the time is right... the current price has dropped to $549can...

It comes with both Bluetooth and Wifi... 128mb of ram... 64mb rom... (you can not expand the memory, unless you mean via a storage card) with the Toshiba it will accept both SD and CF. The unit uses 640 by 480 (VGA) the highest resolution currently used by a PocketPC... and there is no difference in the way the devices handle organizing duties... they all run the same basic software. You will probably go to a third party PIM such as Agenda Fusion or Pocket Informant.

The bottom-line is you need to weigh what you need today... and what you need in the near future... check your pocketbook... and make you decision from there. Don't worry once you figure it out... there are lots of us with opinions... ;)

uber0
12-11-2004, 08:37 PM
hm... i guess i only have enough for the e405, especially if there's not much difference in software, i don't mind the screen difference that much either. Thanks a lot!

opinions?

Ripper014
12-12-2004, 01:33 AM
There is quite a difference between devices... I do not know off hand the specifications for the e400... but the e830 includes... VGA... 128mb of ram... a usb host... and a 524mhz processor... as well onboard bluetooth and wifi.

If you are planning to purchase a e400 because it is all you require then you should compare it to similar products... better choices may be the Hp1940 or the Hp2200 series... they are older but IMHO better choices than the current crop of devices available. And at a lower cost...