View Full Version : Change the contrast hack for x50!

powerbook17
12-09-2004, 09:58 PM
I found that you can enable a hidden contrast applet by going into the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel\Contrast

and renaming the "Redirect" value to "Redirect_" (or rename to something else, or remove it completley).

Then soft reset and go to start > settings > system > contrast and adjust the contrast. The only thing is, it doesn't remember the contrast after a soft reset. This should help with reading in the dark -- the screen brightness is too bright when you are in the dark.

PS this doesn't work with the hx4700 :(

homer999
12-09-2004, 10:20 PM
I found that you can enable a hidden contrast applet by going into the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlPanel\Contrast

and renaming the "Redirect" value to "Redirect_" (or rename to something else, or remove it completley).

Then soft reset and go to start > settings > system > contrast and adjust the contrast. The only thing is, it doesn't remember the contrast after a soft reset. This should help with reading in the dark -- the screen brightness is too bright when you are in the dark.

PS this doesn't work with the hx4700 :(

Some older PPCs had the same thing. The settings get lost after every soft reset. Too bad.

Ripper014
12-10-2004, 12:17 AM
It never worked on my Hp2200... I can get the applet... but it does not work. I think it is part of the OS... but not enabled but the manufacturer in my case.

Darius Wey
12-10-2004, 04:25 AM
Some older PPCs had the same thing. The settings get lost after every soft reset. Too bad.

Yeah - in some PPCs, it just doesn't "register" at all. Once you click OK, and go back to the Contrast application, it just goes back to its default position.