View Full Version : The Newbite (Pt. 2)

Braaman
12-08-2004, 11:32 PM
Well, I've found myself a PPC, an iPaq h4155. It should have been here today, but i'm expecting it later in the week... So, i just thought I'd ask: what's the very first thing(s) i should do with it? Is there any critical updates i should grab? Any gear i should get right off the bat? Any awesome games/apps that i can't live without?

FrozenIpaq
12-08-2004, 11:51 PM
Well, once you first get it you should completly setup the your Ipaq to your likings. After this you can install anything you want. The top programs i installed were Wisbar Advance 2 (Skinning your PPC) by Lakeridgesoftware, and i download the Snails Demo from PDA Mill (still waiting to get full version), and also got Bejeweld 2, which i love.

Also you should get a case for your PPC, always safe to have one, a simple slip cover case does not do very well for protecting as a metal one or aluminum.

maximus
12-09-2004, 01:49 AM
Buy an SD card (or two) to store all those apps and games that you are going to install. And also some screen protectors.

As for apps and games, these are the must have :

Betaplayer
Winampaq
PDAmill viewer
Warlords 2
Warring Nations
Virtual Pool

Have fun :)

buss
12-09-2004, 03:00 AM
Depending on when the unit was made, you can expect to have some upgrades to perform on the ROM. These upgrades will have the same effect as a hard re-set, wiping the unit clean to a factory default state. The HP website is where you will find the upgrades.

Before customizing your unit or installing any software, perform these upgrades. If you do not, there is no damage done, except for the fact that you will have to reinstall non-ROM software and re-do your customizations. (Been there, done that, big time waster)

Good luck and enjoy your new PPC, I have the same model and love it!

capo
12-09-2004, 03:43 AM
The 4155 is a nearly perfect PDA (I own one too). I've added a lot of stuff to mine, software and hardware but there are two things at the top of my most valuable list. First, a good quality screen protector (don't cheap out - get a good one. They're worth it.) The other lifesaver for me has been Sprite Software Pocket Backup. If you have data you can't afford to lose or software you don't want to have to reinstall, you're going to want Sprite. Other than that, I'm also pretty pleased with Pocket Breeze, WisBar and MS Voice Command, among others.

Darius Wey
12-09-2004, 03:47 AM
Here (http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/locate/105_5919.html) is a link to the HP Drivers download page for the h4155. There you will find ROM updates and whatnot. But please remember to follow the instructions carefully if you really do intend to upgrade your ROM. Many times have I seen people put themselves through a failed ROM update only to render their device non-functional, at which point, a call to HP support was the only real option.