View Full Version : For those of you with an Ipod...

sublime
12-08-2004, 05:29 AM
How many gigs is it, and how many of those gigs do you use?

I think that the 4gig Ipod Mini will be enough space for all my music, but I'd hate to buy it, then find out that I'm running short on room. Did you go 20 gig? 40 gig? How much is enough?

delfuhd
12-08-2004, 06:04 AM
I don't have one, personally, but a good friend of mine does have a 4 gig, and she says it's more than enough for her..

I guess it all depends on how much music you have

I would probably have mooooore than enough space for a 4 gig ipod..

One thing, though, does it strike anyone as odd that a 4 gig ipod is around ~230 bucks then a 20 gig is about 50 bucks more??! I wouild expect a 4 gig to be in the range of a hundred bucks... I don't know if I'll ever figure that one out. That is the only thing holding me back from getting one.

That and my new HP BT headphones :mrgreen: :D :lol:

bigkingfun
12-08-2004, 07:22 AM
I've got a 40GB with about 19GB on it so far. I have around 800 cd's in my collection that I'm gradually ripping onto my iPod, so I'm probably using more space than most people would. I'm expecting to get almost all of the CDs onto it when I'm done, but probably not quite all of them.

I wasn't originally expecting to rip all my music onto the iPod when I got it - I got a good deal on the 3G 40GB when the new 4G models came out. Now that I've got it, I'm glad I did. With my whole collection on my iPod, I'll never have to worry about changing CDs in the car again.

dean_shan
12-08-2004, 10:34 AM
I have a 60GB model. I only have it half full (including my photographs). I bought the 60 so I could fill it all up and still have room to grow. I want it to last.

capo
12-08-2004, 01:45 PM
I've got the original 5 gig iPod though it sits in a drawer now. I'm currently using a 20 gig Dell DJ for a few reasons - one is HD space. I filled the 5 gig iPod and found I was constantly deleting to add. (Also annoying were the diminishing battery life and having to jump through hoops to use .wma file format or any online store besides iTunes.) As for space, my 20 gig player is very close to full, but it's (so far) been sufficient.

CTSLICK
12-09-2004, 02:51 AM
20 Gb model for me, had it a month, have about 1 GB (17 hrs of music) stored on it. I don't have a very big CD collection so this works for me. But as with anything computer related...buy as much memory/hard drive space as you can afford because...ultimately...it will not be enough :wink:

Janak Parekh
12-09-2004, 05:22 AM
I think that the 4gig Ipod Mini will be enough space for all my music, but I'd hate to buy it, then find out that I'm running short on room. Did you go 20 gig? 40 gig? How much is enough?
Well, there's a couple of variables.

1. How much music do you have?
2. Do you want to carry all your music?
3. How important is the small size of the Mini compared to the capacity?

I bought a 30GB 3G iPod a while back, since I knew I had a lot of music going in (right now, I have about 21GB, plus some files I store). In my case, that's about 4,000 songs (I rip at 160kbps AAC). Once I get up to about 28GB, I'll probably start thinking of getting the 60GB iPod photo. But I have a fair bit of music. :)

--janak

ChristopherTD
12-09-2004, 08:38 AM
I had one of the first 10GB iPods and quickly filled it, so a few months ago I gave it to my son and got the 40GB 3G model. A week later the 4G models were announced - then the 60GB model but mine is fine for now.

It has 32GB of music and books on it - I have a large CD collection which was static until I got my iPod and since then I have bought many more CDs because I started to listen to music more often.

The point at which you will want to change an MP3 player is when you are spending too much time pruning and selecting the tracks you want on the device.

Steven Cedrone
12-09-2004, 01:10 PM
20 Gig iPod here. I have about 7 Gig left and I am pretty much done with ripping the CD collection. I think it's about 5 days worth of music (if I were to listen nonstop :wink: )

Steve

bigkingfun
12-09-2004, 07:45 PM
I have a large CD collection which was static until I got my iPod and since then I have bought many more CDs because I started to listen to music more often.

This is a good point - I found the same thing. I had pretty much stopped buying CDs for the last few years until I got my iPod. Now I find myself listening to music a lot more and buying a lot more new CDs. This is something to consider when looking at how much storage you need.