View Full Version : Re-organising apps on storage card

darthbane2k
12-08-2004, 01:18 AM
I have installed a whole bunch of apps on my storage card but its root looks cluttered as I did not put the app folders in a seperate PROGRAM FILES folder. Can I create a programs file folder and shift the app folders into this for organisations sake.

Is there a simple utility that will update the registry/shortcuts accordingly?

AggieJon
12-08-2004, 05:28 AM
You know, until just now I never realized how inconvenient it is to have all those programs installed on the root of my storage card. 8O I guess it's one of those things I just accepted. The problem I see with trying to put everything on in a "Program Files" folder is that when Activesync installs something, it doesn't give you the option of changing the path. So you could only install with CAB files (using a program like Cabinstl (http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/cabinstl.shtml)). I wish more developers would make the CAB files available for download.

Darius Wey
12-08-2004, 06:31 AM
The problem I see with trying to put everything on in a "Program Files" folder is that when Activesync installs something, it doesn't give you the option of changing the path. So you could only install with CAB files (using a program like Cabinstl (http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/cabinstl.shtml)). I wish more developers would make the CAB files available for download.

There's a way around this. Even though most developers release their programs in .EXE format which must be executed on the PC, it still needs somewhere to store the .CAB files. Usually, when you run the .EXE file, you are given an option to extract the files to a certain folder. Don't proceed to install through ActiveSync, but instead, go to that folder and find the .CAB file. If you copy it to your Pocket PC, you can run CabInstl and let it do the dirty work. ;)

AggieJon
12-08-2004, 07:38 AM
There's a way around this. Even though most developers release their programs in .EXE format which must be executed on the PC, it still needs somewhere to store the .CAB files. Usually, when you run the .EXE file, you are given an option to extract the files to a certain folder. Don't proceed to install through ActiveSync, but instead, go to that folder and find the .CAB file. If you copy it to your Pocket PC, you can run CabInstl and let it do the dirty work. ;)

Good tip! My wife's new PPC will arrive tomorrow, so I think I'll try to set it up this way.

That reminds me that you can also grab CAB files from programs that have been installed before from the Activesync folder on the desktop computer.

In response to the original poster, I looked around, but haven't found anything that will do what you want. (Move everything into a "Program Files" directory.) It would be a great tool, though.

Cybrid
04-12-2005, 11:13 PM
http://www.vancouverpocketpc.com/CAB_installation_tweak.html

Orbsplateau
04-15-2005, 04:20 PM
OK, my solution is not as elegant or complete as "Modifying the behavior of CAB files for control over Pocket PC installations"... but it's a quick fix and has worked pretty well for me.

All my programs are installed on the SD card. There must be some 25 folders in the root directory. So i've setup the following folders:

0_Album
0_Backup
0_Docs
0_Maps
0_MP3
0_Videos

(You can try any prefix, I just like "0_". You can even try numbering the folders in way that results in the most commonly accessed folders appearing at the top)

This way, these directories show at the first.... and I never have to look through the remaining folders.
Like I said, it's not exactly brilliant, but it's easy for beginners.

phs
05-02-2005, 02:53 AM
All my programs are installed on the SD card. There must be some 25 folders in the root directory. So i've setup the following folders:

0_Album
0_Backup
0_Docs
0_Maps
0_MP3
0_Videos

xxx

This way, these directories show at the first.... and I never have to look through the remaining folders.
Like I said, it's not exactly brilliant, but it's easy for beginners.

I just did a hard reset and reinstalled using CABs and Cabinst. Now the only directory in the root of my SD is "Program Files". The only app that I can't get a CAB file of is Textmaker. Luckily the setup app was smart enough to allow me to install in SD\Program FIles\Softmaker.