View Full Version : 'CleanUp' for PPC?

zdyes
12-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Here's a green question from a former Palm-er: Is there a program like CleanUp/Uninstaller pack for Palm OS that I could use to discover and get rid of leftover, unwanted files from my iPAQ? I guess I'm having a hard time finding one, because I'm unsure if PPC programs leave such traces when you try them and reject them!

Hello to everybody! I'm looking forward to browsing around here and picking up tips from established users!

JD Silver
12-07-2004, 08:10 PM
Welcome to the Pocket PC World!

I am also an ex Palm user. For PPC cleanup, I've been using Memmaid

http://www.handango.com/ampp/store/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=311&jid=X82993E7CFXD9DC1B74D512A24XA4D7A&platformId=2&productType=2&productId=123995&sectionId=0&catalog=30&topSectionId=-1

quite successfully. It has a very friendly UI and does the job of cleaning up memory, notifications, startup programs, as well as some memory saving registry tweaks.

JD

webdaemon
12-07-2004, 08:12 PM
And if you subscribe to PPC thoughts, you can get discounts at Handango and a bunch of other places.

zdyes
12-07-2004, 08:19 PM
Wow! Responses so quickly, and helpful. JD Silver, I'll check that right out. Thanks a bunch, y'all. Apparently, I've got to figure out registry, 'cause I'm a blank on that...

Maybe I won't miss 1SRC too terribly much!

zdyes
12-07-2004, 08:31 PM
Here's another question then, since I just installed MemAid for a trial run.
I have a 'red-circle X' notification on my PDA desktop that says: "Cannot find 'install' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and all the required libraries are available."

I'm sure this has nothing to do with MemAid, but what does one do to get rid of this apparent problem? Any ideas?

Kevin C. Tofel
12-07-2004, 09:42 PM
I would also consider the freeware program: FastCleanUp (http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/fastcleanupforpocketpc.shtml).

I've been using it for a few weeks; it's simple and effective. I have a shortcut to it on my Today screen (using Pocket Plus!) and I tap it at least once per day.

KCT

DinarSoft
12-08-2004, 02:34 AM
Here's another question then, since I just installed MemAid for a trial run.
I have a 'red-circle X' notification on my PDA desktop that says: "Cannot find 'install' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and all the required libraries are available."

I'm sure this has nothing to do with MemAid, but what does one do to get rid of this apparent problem? Any ideas?

Using MemMaid, you can go to the second tab (Notification Queue) and look for an entry that points to an uninstalled application and delete it.

Looks like a nice feature to add to MemMaid, Searching for leftover orphaned notification

zdyes
12-09-2004, 06:44 AM
DinarSoft -

That didn't help, or maybe I missed something. What exactly would I see that would indicate a (perhaps orphaned) file that causes this notification to appear everytime I soft reset?

Thanks!

DinarSoft
12-09-2004, 12:21 PM
DinarSoft -

That didn't help, or maybe I missed something. What exactly would I see that would indicate a (perhaps orphaned) file that causes this notification to appear everytime I soft reset?

Thanks!
When you go to the second tab in MemMaid you'll see alist of your current items in the notification queue.
Ecah entry has the name of the executable to be run when this notification gets activiated. also Selecting any indevidual one will give you more information about it in the bottom window.
Try to see if there is any abvious one.
Try also to list all the different executables in the notification list and look for them in your device to see if they exist or not.

Hope this helps