View Full Version : I'm making the switch!

torrobinson
12-07-2004, 02:59 AM
Ever since I was 10, I've always said I wanted a Pocket PC. At that time, I didnt know the difference between PPC and Palm. When I was 13 (i think), I bought a Palm Zire (to get used to PDAs). Then, in grade 8 when I was and still am 14, I bought a Palm M130, to get used to color, backlight, sd cards, etc.
I am still 14 and I am saving up for a PPC. I have my heart set on a HP Ipaq 1940. .....most kids my age want to buy new skateboards...or Xbox games.. is it wierd that all I want are PDAs?..
My brother has a Palm Zire 21, and he also no wants a PPC. What should he get? I mostly enjoy games... and I put the odd school-project in there too.. But mostly I want it fore games/media. What sort of games would my brother and I be able to play via bluetooth? (would Warfare Incorporate work?).

One more question that I never get answers to: What is he average distance fro bluetooth?

Thanks,
Tor

--oh, and I added a poll

Jonathon Watkins
12-07-2004, 10:39 AM
Wlcome Torrobinson. It's good to have you with us.

.. is it wierd that all I want are PDAs?..

Not at all! You've come to the right place and we're not weird at all! :lol: :wink:

My brother has a Palm Zire 21, and he also no wants a PPC. What should he get? I mostly enjoy games... and I put the odd school-project in there too.. But mostly I want it fore games/media. ?..

What's the budget, as I would guess that would be an important issue?

What sort of games would my brother and I be able to play via bluetooth? (would Warfare Incorporate work?).?..

BT games are not an area I know much about. Anyone else care to chip in here?

One more question that I never get answers to: What is he average distance fro bluetooth?

Class 3 is 1 meter
Class 2 is 10 meters
Class 1 is 100 meters

Most devices are class 2, so 10 meters is the standard range.

torrobinson
12-07-2004, 09:14 PM
Well, I don't really have a budget, but I want a PPC with at leaste 64MB of internal memory, and I want it as quickly as possible. Do you know what class of bluetooth the HP Ipaq 1940 has?

emuelle1
12-07-2004, 09:26 PM
I think the 1940 is class 2. My mother in law has one. It's a nice unit, and I wouldn't mind one myself (if budget permitted).

It's certainly not weird to want a PDA. They're incredibly useful. I don't really see why you'd need to use a Palm to work your way up. I had a Palm Zire, and all it really did was show me what it can't do that I needed a Pocket PC for.

I don't know much about the games. Sorry.

christak
12-07-2004, 09:34 PM
I'd look for a Dell X30 Advanced... you can get one from the Dell Outlet for $280 (if that's not too expensive)...

http://outlet.us.dell.com/Dispatcher?target=InventoryPage&action=filter&lob=PDA&unique=1102451173169&sessionID=B2Rc0gGY!-1219916111!2119726933!1102451164060&tgtSeg=I

or look at the Aximsite -- they have a Hardware Bargains forum where there are 25% off coupons floating around (from the Dellf game) for Axim x30 and x50 PPCs -- You may even be able to beat the Dell Outlet prices with these coupons...

http://www.aximsite.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=20

The Dell X50v is arguably one of the best PPCs out today -- with a 25% off coupon they cost about $375 plus tax with a VGA screen... The x50 mid is even less -- around $300 with coupon, but has no VGA...

You can compare the Axims here...

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/pda?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

8)

Fishie
12-08-2004, 12:20 AM
Yeah, you can play eachother on Warfare with bluetooth.

Darius Wey
12-08-2004, 06:57 AM
I think the 1940 is class 2. My mother in law has one. It's a nice unit, and I wouldn't mind one myself (if budget permitted).

You would be right. The range of the h1940 or h1945 is 10 metres, so bear that in mind when making connections. If your PC has a 100m BT dongle, your range would not be extended. You are always limited to the smaller number - in this case, 10m.

I actually own an h1940, and if you're looking for a great, compact unit that delivers a great set of features, you won't be disappointed. :D

torrobinson
12-08-2004, 03:58 PM
ya, Ive read alot of good things about it :)

I'm putting every penny I get into the bank so that I can get it as soon as possible.... It's $399.99 at Staples (CAN), and with tax it should be around $427. I have about $230 saved up, and at christmas, I usually get a few hundered... HEY! I Just thought of something! Maybe when the stores open during Christmas break :) ,I'll have enough and I can go by it!
I've been saving for a few months now... i make $15 a week (allowance)

Yay, HP Ipaq 1940
8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Darius Wey
12-08-2004, 04:48 PM
That's great news.

You may also want to check the PriceGrabber (http://pocketpcthoughts.pricegrabber.com/search_gen.php/form_keyword=Pocket%2520PC/form_page_id=12/topcat_id=1/) page to see the latest offers. Hope that helps. ;)

Jonathon Watkins
12-08-2004, 05:01 PM
Maybe when the stores open during Christmas break :) ,I'll have enough and I can go by it!

January Sales!.................. :wink:

Darius Wey
12-08-2004, 05:11 PM

Human Mosh Pit. :( :P

Jonathon Watkins
12-08-2004, 08:08 PM

Human Mosh Pit. :( :P

Go early, get out by 11:00 = Bargains :)

Besides, I was refering to *online* sales. :wink:

torrobinson
12-09-2004, 01:52 AM
oooooooh no. I went through enough trouble buying my M130 online. I'd rather spend a few hundered more dollars to get it from a relyable source!
It would be worth it.

christak
12-09-2004, 05:34 AM
oooooooh no. I went through enough trouble buying my M130 online. I'd rather spend a few hundered more dollars to get it from a relyable source!
It would be worth it.

There are many reliable sources online -- and you will definitely save money... Your decision though...
8)

torrobinson
12-09-2004, 04:19 PM
I got my m130 from a reliable source, but the whole pay-pal set up (w/ my moms credit card-dont worry, she let me) and the whole ebay thing took a long time and caused too must frustration..