View Full Version : Genuine Appeal for Help...

Tiberian
12-06-2004, 09:45 PM
I've been an avid reader and subscriber of PPCT for a couple years now and I've never posted any kind of request like this. If this isn't the appropriate forum, please move this post.

I own an iPAQ 4155 and last night after a meeting fell on some slippery concrete stairs and sadly broke my LCD screen. Fortunately I can still sync the unit and am able to back it up and retrieve the data, but in its current state it is completely unuseable. In my previous life as an electronics retail manager replacing or repairing the unit wouldn't be a major issue.

However, a little over 7 months ago I made a life decision to get out of the corporate world and transition into the non-profit sector because I wanted to help others. As part of this transition I accepted an Americorps*VISTA position with Habitat for Humanity and haven't looked back. For those not familiar with Americorps*VISTA, think of it like the domestic Peace Corps. My job at Habitat is that of Volunteer Coordinator. As such I rely heavily on my iPAQ for scheduling, notes, to do, etc. The living stipend I receive is VERY modest and I simply do not have the money to replace or repair the unit, at least not at conventional prices.

Therefore I'm asking for advice and input from PPCT readers. Can anyone suggest an inexpensive solution to repair or replace my beloved iPAQ? I am not looking for a handout or sympathy, I am simply stating the facts and asking for your help in whatever form it may materialize.

Thank you in advance for your response...

Sincerely,
Chris Tracy

jasondearyou
12-06-2004, 10:14 PM
well, one solution may be mirror ppc. Its a free software that mirrors the images from the PPC onto the computer screen and you could view the information from there. Otherwise I don't see any other solution. If I were you and on a budget like that I would buy a used PPC. Stick it out and save a little.

Other than that it is kinda gonna cost ya.

Sincerely 0X

Jason Dunn
12-07-2004, 04:40 AM
I'd start to do some research into the screen costs - contact www.pocketpctechs.com and see what they'd charge you. As a subscriber, you'll save 10% off their normal fees. Depending on the cost of the screen, it might make sense to get into a used Pocket PC...even if it's a step down, it will get you back up and running again.

emuelle1
12-07-2004, 04:44 PM
There is also

http://www.pdasmart.com, which not only sells parts but also does the repairs themselves. Not sure what it would cost for a screen replacement though.

famousdavis
12-07-2004, 07:26 PM
Perhaps someone's got an old PPC that's perfectly useable but they're not using? That person could donate to Habitat for Humanity, and that PPC could filter its way to Tiberian?