View Full Version : WiFi ActiveSync on Work Network

Zidane
12-06-2004, 07:09 PM
I'm running into some difficulty and I thought that maybe someone here would know what's going on.

Basically, I'm the network admin at my company and I've got a setup where I've got a WiFi router outside of the main network firewall and I'd like to communicate with my computer which is on the inside of the firewall. My computer has an address of 192.168.0.8 and my iPaq hx4700 (connected via WiFi) has an address of 10.0.0.2.

So, I thought it would be a simple matter of downloading Pocket Hosts and pointing the computer's name to the firewall (a NetGear FVS318) which has an address of 10.0.0.10. I then set up port forwarding on the firewall for ports 5678, 5679, 990 and 999 to point to my computer.

Now, this is where the problem comes in. If I attempt to do a manual sync on my iPaq, ActiveSync on my desktop comes up and it looks like things are going to connect. But then, ActiveSync on both computers shuts down and the iPaq reports that the user cancelled the session. So, no transfer of data has taken place. I've double checked that my software firewall has been disabled before attempting this.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? Personally, I think it has something to do with the firewall as I can get this to work correctly on my home network where my WiFi router is on the inside of the firewall with my computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

euphoria
12-07-2004, 01:44 AM
I have tried to do something similar in my home network. Couldn't make it work, too. It seems to me that if Desktop computer and WiFi device are on a different network segment, activesync can't work. I could not safely rule out firewall, though.

Zidane
12-07-2004, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, that's what I was thinking as well. I just thought it would be possible as I've read several tutorials about how to sync via a dial-up connection that I thought this would be much simpler. Oh well.

Zoot
12-08-2004, 01:03 PM
:!: Think name resolution.

Can you ping the desktop machine by its name (using vxUtils, for example)? Activesync over wifi needs your PPC to know what your_pc's address is......

Zidane
12-08-2004, 04:09 PM
What I did is install Pocket Hosts. Using this tool, I mapped by PCs name to the IP address of the firewall (10.0.0.10). I figured that was the best way since my PPC is outside of the firewall on IP address 10.0.0.2. Ports 5678 and 5679 are being forwarded to my PC and ports 990 and 999 are being forwarded to my PPC. I'm sure I'm missing something painfully obvious, though.