View Full Version : Help! dead ipaq 1945--can it be revived?

STW
12-06-2004, 06:14 PM
Two weeks past warranty ( :bad-words: ), my HPipaq 1945 is dead. Doesn't respond to the power button. Doesn't respond when connected to power cord (which I tested). Power button doesn't even light up when connected to power cord. No response to reset button.

This happened about an hour after it was working fine, fully charged, etc.

Is there any thing I can do to revive this machine? (short of paying the est. $200 that HP says they'll charge me to fix it.)

Never had an ipaq or Palm just pack up like this, and I keep thinking there must be a way to get it back. Forum search didn't turn up anything.

--Mitch

Steven Cedrone
12-06-2004, 06:16 PM
You can try to do a hard reset...

Steve

STW
12-09-2004, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the reply. I tried the hard reset with no response at all.

What could have happened to a device to make it do this? Since '97 I've had devices have trouble and go bad, but never this soon and never just packing up all at once.

I know that a lot of folks are trading up within a year so may be budgeting for a new device every year anyway, but I can't afford to do that right now so I'm hesitant now to get another device if we have to expect a device to last only a year.

Which devices have better warrentees than the hp 1940? Which are the likely to fail like this one? (I treat devices pretty gently and use protective cases so it's not an armored device I need, just a dependable one).

I got the 1940 for its small form factor, biggish RAM, and SD slot. They don't make it anymore anyway so I'm thinking about Toshiba, Dell, etc.

Thnaks for your ideas,
Mitch

Ripper014
12-10-2004, 12:14 AM
All the warranties are similar... a year.. on parts and labour.

I think part of your problem may depend on where you live, if you are in the US... you are basically limited to a Hp... Dell or the Asus. The Toshiba is available it Canada... the Loox... is not available directly in North America.

For pricing... the Dell and Toshiba are hard to compete with... but when you compare features... the Toshiba seems like the best deal if you can live with the larger physical size... But like I said... seems... you never know how a machine performs in the real world, in saying that however... all the Toshiba owners seem VERY happy...

AirTimid
12-10-2004, 01:45 AM
Something similar happened to me the other day. I tried all the stuff you did, then I removed my battery for a bit and tried again. I finally got the machine on, but everything was gone :( At least my 2215 is working like a charm again :)