View Full Version : Installing software on the ROM

dannyl
12-06-2004, 02:50 PM
Hello,
Brand new PPC user. Just got my Axim x50 last week and loving it. I do have a few questions:

1.) I read some articles about how ppc applications should be installed on the ROM/Built-in storage since it comes with 128MB instead of the 64MB RAM. Sounds logical to me. But I'm an organization freak, and I like to keep my directory structure nice and neat. So when I tried installing apps onto the Built-in storage, Activesync doesnt allow me to specify a target directory; something like "/Built-in Storage/My Programs/". It just installs into the root "/Built-in Storage/" and that drives me nuts. Any way to do this?

2.) I use Outlook at home and Lotus Notes (bleh its aweful I know) at work. Is there a way to sync with both? Just for the main pim functions: email, tasks, calendar, contacts. If so, is it also possible to keep the two categorized seperately? Ie whenever I sync at home, everything will automatically go under a "home" category, and when I sync at work, everything will be categorized under "work". I know this is alot to ask of any software, but I can't imagine myself being the only one asking for something of this sort.

3.) Is there a software that allows me to "permanently" map network drives? I've tried Resco File Explorer, and while it does do that, my other apps do not seem to be able to access the mapped drives. Only Resco's photo viewer can access the mapped drives.

4.) Wifi-related. It seems as if every time I turn on my axim, it takes 10-20s connecting to the Wifi network. But whenever I bring my laptop back from suspend mode, its pretty much on the network instantly. It seems like the axim takes time to connect to the access point, then sends a dhcp request every time, which seems excessive since I turn the pda on and off every few mins. I disabled powersaving on the wireless access network settings, even set a static ip on it, but neither seems to help much. Is there anything I can do to improve/speed up the connection process?

Thanks in advance.

BudPritchard
12-06-2004, 03:28 PM
Hello,
Brand new PPC user. Just got my Axim x50 last week and loving it. I do have a few questions:

Congrats. Got mine last week and very happy with it. Kinda neat to surf the internet from an armchair.

1.) I read some articles about how ppc applications should be installed on the ROM/Built-in storage since it comes with 128MB instead of the 64MB RAM. Sounds logical to me. But I'm an organization freak, and I like to keep my directory structure nice and neat. So when I tried installing apps onto the Built-in storage, Activesync doesnt allow me to specify a target directory; something like "/Built-in Storage/My Programs/". It just installs into the root "/Built-in Storage/" and that drives me nuts. Any way to do this?

Most likely a limitation of Activesync and the PPC operating system. At least each program has it's own folder. Desktop allows program installs anywhere, PPC should too.

2.) I use Outlook at home and Lotus Notes (bleh its aweful I know) at work. Is there a way to sync with both? Just for the main pim functions: email, tasks, calendar, contacts. If so, is it also possible to keep the two categorized seperately? Ie whenever I sync at home, everything will automatically go under a "home" category, and when I sync at work, everything will be categorized under "work". I know this is alot to ask of any software, but I can't imagine myself being the only one asking for something of this sort.

Suggest assigning "home" and "work" in addition to the category selected. I.E., if you have a category of "Attention", you can assign two categories to a task, "Attention" and "Home" or "Work". Outlook view By Category will separate them. Not sure about Lotus Bloat.

3.) Is there a software that allows me to "permanently" map network drives? I've tried Resco File Explorer, and while it does do that, my other apps do not seem to be able to access the mapped drives. Only Resco's photo viewer can access the mapped drives.

Whic apps? Might need to contact support for the software.

4.) Wifi-related. It seems as if every time I turn on my axim, it takes 10-20s connecting to the Wifi network. But whenever I bring my laptop back from suspend mode, its pretty much on the network instantly. It seems like the axim takes time to connect to the access point, then sends a dhcp request every time, which seems excessive since I turn the pda on and off every few mins. I disabled powersaving on the wireless access network settings, even set a static ip on it, but neither seems to help much. Is there anything I can do to improve/speed up the connection process?

Most likely the Connection Mangler. I haven't noticed any lag time. But then again, I haven't looked for it.

Try this Site for Axim Users (http://www.aximsite.com/)

Lotsa good things there for Axim users.

DaViD_BRaNDoN
12-07-2004, 09:42 AM
Thanks in advance.

You might wanna try "CabInstl", available at http://www.geocities.com/s_k_s_k_s_kru/util.html#ci And did I tell you it's free?

dannyl
12-07-2004, 02:31 PM
thanks DaViD_BRaNDoN, exactly what I was looking for.
I havent gotten to try it until I get home tonight, but how does it work with applications that are installed from the desktop? Ie Resco File Explorer? Or do all applications have both a desktop and a ppc version of the installer? Again this is for the totally ppc-challeged... me. :)

Sven Johannsen
12-07-2004, 04:08 PM
but how does it work with applications that are installed from the desktop? Ie Resco File Explorer? Or do all applications have both a desktop and a ppc version of the installer?

Actually most do not, but most do extract the cab file you need, to a location on the PC during the install process. Most anything you have already installed, you will find the cab in C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\(program name). New programs you get to where the AS installation manger pops up asking about where to install and you cancel. That leaves the install directory on the PC with the cab in it...usually.

Often you can just open the install .exe with winzip and extract the cab.

webdaemon
12-07-2004, 04:51 PM

Thanks in advance.

I use z2 PocketLAN to map network drives and it works great. All other programs I've tried see the mapped drives with no problem. It does take a little while to reconnect to the mapped drives after the network link has been established though.

It has a couple of other tools built in like ping, and you can set it to wake on LAN and a few other things. I haven't even explored everything else.

DaViD_BRaNDoN
12-09-2004, 07:31 PM
thanks DaViD_BRaNDoN, exactly what I was looking for.
I havent gotten to try it until I get home tonight, but how does it work with applications that are installed from the desktop? Ie Resco File Explorer? Or do all applications have both a desktop and a ppc version of the installer? Again this is for the totally ppc-challeged... me. :)

No problem. For desktop installer, just execute them like usual and after that navigate to ActiveSync folder (sometimes they install to other folders, so be on thte look out) and look for the "*.cab" file. Note that if you're using Windows Mobile 2003 or 2003SE, the cab files with 'arm' or 'sa1100' or 'arm720' names are to be used (do not use 'mips' or 'sh3')

frankenbike
12-10-2004, 06:12 AM
To permanently map network drives, you need something like Bizzdev Net Use (freeware):

http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php?soft=504

Despite the fact that it says "for PPC 2002" it works fine with WM2003SE.

All of my apps see the mapped locations. I've found that "browse" doesn't work on my network, so I have to type the machine name and share name manually (in the format //MyPCName/sharename).

As for your Axim WiFi problem, I don't have the same one. When I turn my Axim on, it immediately hooks up. If you have a profile set up for your home network (and have it named) and use a WEP key, and use Odyssey Client, I can't imagine why you're experience would be different from mine.

Now if I turn WiFi off, I have the same problem as you. But if I leave WiFi on when I turn the Axim off, I don't have the problem. (I have an X-30 with built in WiFi and WM2003SE, so maybe that makes a difference).