View Full Version : Toshiba e740 Expansion Pack

reinks3988
12-05-2004, 11:08 PM
I am getting a new cell phone with verizon and their bluetooth option doesnt support anything other than a few headsets according to the sales rep. I want to find another way to connect my cell phone (Lg Vx7000) to my Toshiba e740. There are many cables for this process but none with my preferences. Therefore, I would first like to ask if anyone knows where I could find one of these. I have been looking for quite a while now and thought of another solution. I know that you can buy the expansion pack for the e740 and it says that enables use with usb devices. While I haven't found a cable that connects the cell phone the pda, I have found many usb cables connecting the cell phone to a computer (or the expansion pack). So my questions are...Will the cable enable me to use the phone as a modem to my e740? Would I need any drivers? Would it even work at all. Replies would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

gregmills
12-06-2004, 04:56 AM
Hopefully someone with more knowledge on this subject will post if I am but I believe you would need drivers to make that work... which don't exist.

I have the expansion pack for my e750 and I use it for the video out or to connect to a USB drive. Since my cell phone has a mini USB jack I could theoretically use a standard USB cable and some kind of simple adapter to connect the two. But without some drivers I don't think there can be any meaningful information transfer between the two devices.

ivanii
01-29-2005, 09:08 PM
I have expansion board, but it is not for connecting with all USB devicies - it is written that you can connect certified USB keyboards. For example, you can't connect USB flash memory.

I guess that there is no easy cure for you. YOu can use infrared port, or you need PDA with Windows mobile 2003, that should easily connect to phone with bluetooth.

SteveHoward999
01-30-2005, 07:05 PM
You can get drivers to support USB flash memory, this has been discussed here a few times.

I usually connect to my phone via iR - works fine for me, but it is a pain to have to sit the two devices next to each other and not move ... especially on a trian or a plane.

Menneisyys
01-31-2005, 06:19 AM
The USB cable-based solution will NOT work. Very few phones are able to work as a modem via USB (and not the plain serial) cable. This also requires a special driver on the host computer, which is certainly NOT ported to Pocket PC's. (See e.g. the Mpx200 vs. USB modem-threads over there at mpx200.org).

However, I seriously doubt there aren't any BT phone models you can buy locally that would support the Dial-up Networking BT profile. Maybe the sales rep doesn't know much about BT and this is why he said they don't have any.