View Full Version : Hands free bluetooth for the misses?

tourdewolf
12-04-2004, 03:38 AM
Well I did a couple searches but didn't come up with a good answer so ...

Mamma wants a handsfree headset for Christmas and since she is carrying a nokia 3650 I thought ... hey I will suprise her and pony up for a bluetooth one. Question is; which one? Maybe some of you BT headset aficionados could give a little guidance?

Thanks again!

TD

Sven Johannsen
12-04-2004, 10:56 PM
I'd start by finding out, somehow, if she is even interested in them. There isn't a single one out there that isn't going to detract from her ear rings. They all look a bit geeky.

As popular as they are, according to the hype, I don't particularly like my Jabra ones. They work great, but I have trouble wih the button arrangement and placement. I have always wanted to try one of the ones that has the buttons on the side so you are pushing into your head, rather then down onto your ear as with the Jabra ones. Unfortunatly I can't justify buying another headset, since I barely use the Jabra.

You see, I mostly use the handsfree in the car, and I got a BT handsfree set installed in my Jeep. It is heaven to have the radio cut off automatically when I place or answer a call. I don't have to do a thing, but get in the car and turn it on for the phone to connect. Maybe you should get her a new car with a factory BT handsfree :)

I have an older BlueTrek as well and it has the same button problem the Jabra does, and the volume stinks because the speaker doesn't fit in your ear, it just sits outside it.

Vidge
12-05-2004, 12:39 AM
I've got a Sony Ericsson HBH-35 and HBH-65. The 35 works better than the more expensive 65. Just this week I tried the Logitech Mobile Freedom - doesn't work the way I need it to.

For me, as a female, earrings are a problem, which is why I like the SE models. But they all look geeky. So if you surprise her, you'll want to make sure you can return it :D

tourdewolf
12-05-2004, 03:28 AM
I'd start by finding out, somehow, if she is even interested in them. There isn't a single one out there that isn't going to detract from her ear rings. They all look a bit geeky.

Good point. Hadn't even considered ear rings. :(

Here is what she said: " I feel unsafe when I have to use my phone in the car. I wish there was a way to just dial or answer the phone without touching it."
As you can guess no geek (like me) can hear a statement like that without translating it to mean "I need you to buy me some cool new gadget".

Do I have to buy a new car to get a BT handsfree setup?

Sven Johannsen
12-05-2004, 04:35 AM
No, actually you don't. There are a good number of BT car kits, or even none BT kits where the phone just get stuck in a cradle of sorts and gets a speakerphone capability. You almost have to have one professionally installed to get the 'cuts off the radio and plays through the car speakers' type. Car Toys, Best Buy, Circuit City all can probably help with those. There are many that just plug into the cigarette lighter outlet too. (Opps I guess that is now an accesory power outlet ;) )

I have an Anycom BT one that goes in the accessory outlet. That worked fairly well, and has the advantage of being movable. There is nothing like the convenience of a built in unit though, factory or after market.

I've always thought the SE HBH 200 was interesting. It has the advantage, to me, of being much like a regular earbud mic on the cord thing, but without the long wire and having to clip it onto the phone.
http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=106480. If you go there look to the left at all the BT options they have. There is a slew of car kits.

tourdewolf
12-05-2004, 05:57 AM
Nice. That looks like it would suit her fine. I think she will really like the call list residing in the dongle. Less fuss than the funky keypad on the 3650.

Thanks,
TD