View Full Version : Notification error - Targus keyboard removal

tourdewolf
12-04-2004, 03:09 AM
Wondering if I could pick everyone's brain for a minute?

I installed the keyboard driver for my Targus universal wireless keyboard before I read that it is incompatible with the x50v. Oops! I went through the uninstall routine, but it didn't remove it so I began deleting every reference I could find of it. Now when turn the unit on (only happens from off state not from a soft reset) I get a notification error " Cannot execute Windows\StartMenu\Programs\IRKeybd.exe. I did a search here and found other's similar problems with different software, so I went back to the registry and searched for any other references or text strings, but found none. I am using Resco w/ registry plugin. Maybe someone can clue me into where this is comming from and how to irradicate it. (Without the dreaded hard reset).

Thanks,
TD

tourdewolf
12-05-2004, 06:16 AM
Well for anyone interested I seem to have found a fix.
A little research discovered a response from Targus identifying the problem. Seems the driver leaves bogus notifications in the task scheduler which are run on startup.
So for anyone else who has this issue a simple fix is to d/l a notification checker/editor like http://www.scarybearsoftware.com/ppc_cn_overview.html
Then delete all the left over references to IRKeybd.exe
I did it and it was a quick and painless fix. Much easier than a hard reset.

Cortex
09-25-2005, 06:17 PM
thanks for leaving the solution for this. it was driving me batty. i hate being reminded how kludgy the Pocket PC OS is and i hate it when programmers (the Targus driver and the OS) dont bother to fix these things after years....

anyone want to buy a like new targus IR keyboard???