View Full Version : best pocket pc?

cue_ball
12-02-2004, 04:41 AM
I was wondering what the best pocket pc would be if $$$ is no problem but size does matter i want it to be deacently small. thanks for the comments

Darius Wey
12-02-2004, 04:49 AM
If you want a decently-sized PDA that's nice and small, you can't go past the h1940 or the h4150. They may be part of HP's previous generation of devices but they still do the job well, but bear in mind that there are no WM2003SE updates released for these devices.

Otherwise, the Dell Axim X30 High may be an excellent choice.

MPSmith
12-02-2004, 06:21 AM
I was wondering what the best pocket pc would be if $$$ is no problem but size does matter i want it to be deacently small. thanks for the comments

Seriously, no flame here: :splat:

If $ is no issue, but size is, many would say the Dell X50v. Of course I'm biased because I have one. VGA, Wi-Fi, BT, CF, SD, fantastic graphics card, IR, etc. The list goes on and on. To me, one of the few PPC's in its class is the iPAQ 4700, which might be too big for you.

My only disappointment with the X50v is the battery life. But, Mugen will take care of that for me soon when they release their new battery line for it @ www.lionbattery.com

The 4150 and 1940 are fine PPC's, but not "the best" IMO.

Kowalski
12-02-2004, 07:35 PM
for me blue angel is the best ppc around

Ripper014
12-02-2004, 08:45 PM
My choice would be the Loox 720... or maybe perhaps the soon to be released a730W...

Both of these devices are very capable with a long list of functions avialable to them... including... 128mb ram... and usb support. Though they are not heavily distributed in the US... they are the best that are offered at this time.

dorelse
12-02-2004, 09:14 PM
I am currently waiting on a Asus a730w. I'd have purchased a Dell x50v, but I just can't get beyond its looks... :bawl:

MPSmith
12-02-2004, 09:25 PM
I am currently waiting on a Asus a730w. I'd have purchased a Dell x50v, but I just can't get beyond its looks... :bawl:

You really should see one in person. I think its the best looking PPC I've ever owned. But, to each his own! Heaven knows there are plenty of great PPC's out there, the Loox 720 is definitely among them.

Darius Wey
12-03-2004, 10:28 AM
You really should see one in person. I think its the best looking PPC I've ever owned. But, to each his own! Heaven knows there are plenty of great PPC's out there, the Loox 720 is definitely among them.

It's got the rounded bottom, much like the h1940 and h4150. I like the form factor of the Axim X50v too. :)

ipaq_wannabe
12-03-2004, 08:38 PM
just got myself a WM2003 (not SE) device a month back (mint condition second-hand): the Loox 610 BT/WLAN... and im just being lured to the SE devices with their VGA screens, portrait/landscape functionality, USB host/client support, etc.

and i was just wondering to get one of them right now? or just skip a version, and wait until WM2005?

btw, does anyone know what would WM2005 have? or when would be the probable first release of devices?

thanks!!!

dorelse
12-03-2004, 08:44 PM
You know, I really do like the form of the Dell, and especially the price...but that all Black w/Silver front...yeesh.

I'm also not partial to the screen (at least from the Axim Site review) it definintely shows some washing out in the color depth...

Honestly the problem is that I can't see one in person...no place to go in Des Moines IA to see/touch/feel/play with one. It would probably sway me in their favor.

I realize I'm buying an Asus site unseen as well, but the pictures of the screen look to show its pretty nice...plus its shorter than the Dell.

Darius Wey
12-04-2004, 05:29 AM
and i was just wondering to get one of them right now? or just skip a version, and wait until WM2005?

btw, does anyone know what would WM2005 have? or when would be the probable first release of devices?

thanks!!!

Skip and wait for WM2005. I mainly work by the buy-one, skip-one policy. In terms of new features, well, it is still very much in its beta stages, but expect support for newer technologies, revamps to some of the software components in the OS, a new version of ActiveSync, etc. Devices may start appearing some time in mid-2005 (I think).

xk
12-04-2004, 06:06 AM

thanks!!!

Skip and wait for WM2005. I mainly work by the buy-one, skip-one policy. In terms of new features, well, it is still very much in its beta stages, but expect support for newer technologies, revamps to some of the software components in the OS, a new version of ActiveSync, etc. Devices may start appearing some time in mid-2005 (I think).

You can always wait for new os or product but, that means you have to wait forever 8O I bet new os wm2007 will be avalible in mid 2006 j/k

Paula
12-04-2004, 06:56 AM
I know it's old in PPC terms (I think it's the same as dog years) and it doesn't have WM2003SE, but I still love it after having it for a year. I have no intentions of replacing it for awhile either. What PPC you ask, would beg such loyalty and love? Why an iPaq 2215 of course. :lol:

chasmanor
12-04-2004, 07:47 PM
I agree with Paula. 2215 is the greatest!

tourdewolf
12-04-2004, 10:40 PM
Have to agree with going back in time here. I just "upgraded" from a 4355 to a x50v and quite frankly I am considering going back.

Sure vga is great but for what? To take advantage of it you have to endure very tiny text, hardly worth the effort to me considering PIEplus single column view makes the web just as viewable. It's still a 3" screen no matter how you view it.
Granted the screen in day to day use is much more pleasing to look at, I just question weather it is more useful.
I also thought the added horespower would be great but it seems as though it's required to draw in vga, my x50v is about twice as slow as the 4355 was doing the everyday things I normally do (no scientific study preformed).

Watching movies in betaplayer compressed with Poketdivxencoder is a main function of my PPC. I was expecting great video with vga and faster processor but once again when I increase the resolution it kills the performance, so I wind up with just slightly better video quality in an effort to salvage speed and battery life.
Maybe this will change dramatically when Picard is finally able to take full advantage of the 2700 chip in Betaplayer.

Speaking of battery life, about 60 mins of video or 100 mins of wifi (auto power mode) is all I can seem to muster out of this device. Fortunately I got an extra battery so I can at least swap. (Guess I am spoiled by the ~3+ hours of battery life I had with the 4355)

All in all the x50v is a nice little device, and I can't argue that the screen is pretty, and landscape mode is handy ocasionally for excel. But for daily use I am wondering if the 4150, with similar form factor, isn't a better bang for my buck.

I didn't mean for this post to be a axim bash, just trying to share my impressions to hopefully help OP make a more informed choice.

My vote would be to save your dough, try to find a left over 4150 and wait until WM2005 for the next upgrade.

TD

Darius Wey
12-05-2004, 03:54 AM
You can always wait for new os or product but, that means you have to wait forever 8O I bet new os wm2007 will be avalible in mid 2006 j/k

Perhaps... But the point is WM2003SE is nearing the end of its cycle. If you were to purchase a WM2003SE device when it first came into the market, it may have been a viable option. Purchasing one now may be something else to consider though, especially if your pre-existing device works fine. However, if this is a first-time Pocket PC purchase, there's nothing wrong with getting one now. I still own a WM2003 device but I'm happy to wait for WM2005, because (1) my device does what I want it to at the moment (even though I would love to have the added enhancements of VGA, landscape, etc.; but I'm willing to wait for now), and (2) WM2003SE does not yet offer compelling new features that would make the purchase of a whole new device an economically viable option, IMO.

surur
12-05-2004, 01:00 PM
Ive just received by Loox 720 friday. Its the best pocketpc currently. There will always be a better pocketpc in the future, but the best one now is the Loox 720. Its smaller than the other VGA ones, incredibly thin, has dual slots, a good screen, wifi and bluetooth, usb host, 128Mb ram etc etc.

Unlike the Dell owner I am not dissatisfied with my purchase.

Surur

ToddJ
12-05-2004, 02:11 PM
Is windows Mobile 2005 gonna be a backwards compatible upgrade for almost all older Pocket PCs? (I have a 4155.)

surur
12-05-2004, 02:36 PM
Is windows Mobile 2005 gonna be a backwards compatible upgrade for almost all older Pocket PCs? (I have a 4155.)

Sorry if this sounds rude, but:

Have you been asleep the last year!?!? Dont you know OS upgrades are dead!?!?

Dont buy with OS upgrade in mind!

Also recall the original poster claimed money is no object. He can just buy a new pocketpc in six months time.

Surur

ToddJ
12-05-2004, 11:15 PM
I misunderstood what someone else wrote....i thought someone else suggested to buy the 4150, and then wait for the upgrade ...(however, I was thinking he meant software upgrade, not hardware-which surprised me...).....oops...

and by the way....yes..that does sound rude.

surur
12-06-2004, 02:44 AM
Sorry about that, but I feel we have all learned a hard practical lesson, and I just wanted to make sure you were aware of it :)

Sorry about the harsh words. Just sharing the pain :drinking:

Surur

ToddJ
12-06-2004, 03:32 AM
No problem....I understand your frustration....Too bad HP won't listen to people and change their mind about updating the older Ipaqs to Windows 2003 SE. I like what the new Pocket PCs can do, but think they are really ugly looking.

Menneisyys
12-06-2004, 12:37 PM
I'd say get the new Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox 720. It has everything you need. Or, a second-hand Toshiba e800, if you can get it for 300-350 US$, is also a great buy.

The "small" iPAQ's aren't bad (I like my 2210 very much), but why pay for a QVGA machine in late 2004? VGA machines can be used for tons of other purposes. My favourite one is reading PDF/CHM ebooks.

Menneisyys
12-06-2004, 01:56 PM
But the point is WM2003SE is nearing the end of its cycle.

A lot of people agree that WM2005-based machines will only appear late 2005. I don't think anybody should wait THAT long. Get a decent VGA machine (e.g., the F-S Pocket Loox 720).

Menneisyys
12-06-2004, 01:59 PM

Not necessarily. WM2003 wasn't really backwards-compatible either, meaning that tons of ppc2k/ppc2k2 programs didn't really work under WM2003. And WM2005 seems to be a major upgrade.

Darius Wey
12-06-2004, 02:23 PM
A lot of people agree that WM2005-based machines will only appear late 2005. I don't think anybody should wait THAT long. Get a decent VGA machine (e.g., the F-S Pocket Loox 720).

I wasn't disregarding the fact that they are no longer viable purchase options. If I really wanted to, I'd get a new device as well. I was merely sharing my personal thoughts on the current situation, and what my intentions are for my next device. It'd be great to have one now, but personally, I'll be waiting for the next OS to debut before I crack open the piggy-bank.