View Full Version : Windows Media version 9 vs version 10

charliew
12-02-2004, 02:43 AM
Is Windows Media 10 worth upgrading to?

I have a rx3715. I assume I'll have to reload everything if I upgrade to Windows Media 10. I was wondering what the benefit would be? Does anyone know the specific differences?

OSUKid7
12-02-2004, 02:53 AM
Mainly it adds support for music with DRM. It also adds support for VGA resolution video.

Darius Wey
12-02-2004, 03:44 AM
There's also some minor enhancements such as improved playlist function (note that it's only a marginal improvement :roll: ), and support for album art, etc.

IMO, I don't see any harm in upgrading unless you absolutely detest having to hard reset and reinstalling your programs again.

kyrkesmith
12-02-2004, 08:52 AM
I installed, and backed up to my SD card using the iPaq Backup program. The restore worked fine, which was nice, meaning it only took about 2 minutes to completely reload everything (programs, settings etc.).

WMP10 seems on the most part nicer. However, I can't figure out how to 1. Map/Unmap keys during background playback, and 2. How to map any keys other than the directional pad. Every time I try it just does their normal function.

Tut tut.

Darius Wey
12-02-2004, 01:46 PM
However, I can't figure out how to 1. Map/Unmap keys during background playback, and 2. How to map any keys other than the directional pad. Every time I try it just does their normal function.

If I remember correctly, I think this is due to a bug in the update and will be resolved at a later stage. Otherwise, if there are any rx3715 owners out there, tell me something I'm forgetting. ;)

Sven Johannsen
12-02-2004, 07:06 PM
However, I can't figure out how to 1. Map/Unmap keys during background playback, and 2. How to map any keys other than the directional pad. Every time I try it just does their normal function.

If I remember correctly, I think this is due to a bug in the update and will be resolved at a later stage. Otherwise, if there are any rx3715 owners out there, tell me something I'm forgetting. ;)

Hmm, that's the same issue on the Dell X30 upgrade. Thought it was a Dell faux pas. Guess not. You also have default assignments to your * (Full Screen) and # (Mute) buttons I would imagine.

kyrkesmith
12-02-2004, 07:10 PM
Yeah, that's right. Slightly Smartphone-esque if you ask me.

I've seen it mentioned about the Dell, but I suppose this indicates it's Microsoft's fault. I've been on to HP today, but apparantly they've never heard of this before. It's being "escalated" though....